Interest in Driving

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just got home from working at the Cowboy Classic AMHA show over the weekend. There weren't a lot of driving horses at the show, though lots of classes were offered. I saw my first versatility and reinsman classes.

What excited me was the comments of people who came to view the show. Several had miniatures that they planned to drive or were already driving. One was super knowledgeable about harnesses and I suggested she search this forum for more information. They all had unregistered hroses, however, and were looking for ways to compete in driving with their wonderful driving horses.

An AMHA show with horses is like having a fantastic unregistered obedience dog and not being able to show him off because AKC is the only organization in town that offers a show.

The reason their horses were unregistered was always the same--somebody didn't bother to keep papers with the hrose. Nearly every one I talked to was willing to pay for DNA and expenses, if a way could be found to get his horse registered.

Lots of interest in miniature tack, and the complimentary pile of Ozark catalogs melted away quickly.

It would be great if there were CDE or other open obstacle-type drives near by, but there are not. I dont' really see how it is going to happen anytime soon, either.

The good news was nobody seemed to be having a problem finding hay this year!

hmmm, even AKC is accepting unregistered dogs in their competitions, you can either PAL/ILP under a specific breed and compete in performance events specific to the breed's characteristics like herding, luring and agility or apply as a mixed breed and compete at agility for sure, maybe even other things, but I know for a fact you can compete in agility. It would be wonderful to see something like this open up for mini's too. Maybe the interest would pick up in this area. Especially for geldings...what's it gonna benefit a gelding to be registered? what would it hurt? They're not for breeding so what really does it hurt? you could even have additional open classes that are specifically limited to unregistered horses. You sometimes see horse shows with open classes and breed specific classes running together. Doesn't the Pinto association do this already with one of the mini associations? Then you have the Paint horse association that has PAC? I think it's called where you can compete outside a paint horse show and still earn awards for your horse. These are approved shows, but held outside of the APHA. Things like this would draw people like me if it was a simple matter of asking a show secretary to fill out paperwork to get approval. It would also help that organization draw more participants.

The nearest mini show, AMHA or AMHR is at least 4 hours away. With the price of gas and hotels, etc. I will never make it to these shows, I'm just not that serious about showing my mini. I only occasionally have to drive that far to show my big horses and it's usually for some sort of finals or a big money futurity. The rest of the time there are plenty of shows, open, breed specific, NRHA, NCHA, Ranch Sortings, Stock horse associations etc. all within a 2 hour driving distance to keep me busy all year long even into the winter months.

Our small local associations hold at the very least halter classes for minis. I checked one of the show bills out last week, at a place I don't usually go to and they offer driving, in hand trail, jumping etc too. I could easily pack up my mini along with my big horses and compete at the same show with them all. All within a 2 hour drive, go and come back the same day. But other than giving the horse experience, this will never be credited to my horse if I do show as they're just open shows. It's just a small organization that holds monthly shows that I like to go to for training purposes and they do offer highpoint year end awards. It would be lovely to have some way to note this like the APHA does since there are so few shows available for minis around here.

One AMHR show here does offer "Non Rated Open Classes" specifically for non-registered miniatures (or AMHA, WCMHR, etc.). They have added halter, color, jumping, showmanship, halter obstacle, driving obstacle, liberty, driving, etc. for these non-AMHR horses and have a pretty good turnout with some stiff competition.

Our Oklahoma club has started having a show in fall. No clipping necessary and open to anyone with a miniature. There is a professional judge, with the emphasis on learning. I did not participate last fall (it was too far away) but I think it is a great idea, and will become more popular.

In fact, I am on the hunt for an arena in my part of the state that would work. Most of the arenas here are too deep for miniatures. They are geared for roping and barrels. But I have my ear to the ground!

In our area (New England) there is a huge interest now in 4-H (with minis) so some of the shows are starting to offer 4-H classes open to any mini - registered or not. Those seem to be the largest classes! I was just talking with another breeder today and we think this is the wave of the future.

Our local driving club is also seeing a huge increase in members with minis. American Driving Society(ADS) events don't care if your horse is registered and there are also many barns and places around here that offer arena driving trials (ADTs) and other fun events not sanctioned by the ADS. Look for driving clubs in your area and get involved.

And of course, if your mini happens to be a pinto, you can always get them registered with the Pinto Association. And yes, you can get Pinto "shows" approved to run with AMHA shows ( I know) and I suspect with AMHR shows too. It tends to boost the entries for both. And you can also get pinto points from certain open shows, which is something I wish other registries would offer.

Our Oklahoma club has started having a show in fall. No clipping necessary and open to anyone with a miniature. There is a professional judge, with the emphasis on learning. I did not participate last fall (it was too far away) but I think it is a great idea, and will become more popular.

In fact, I am on the hunt for an arena in my part of the state that would work. Most of the arenas here are too deep for miniatures. They are geared for roping and barrels. But I have my ear to the ground!
Depending on the type of dirt they have, some of the arenas can be packed down. Your arena management should be able to take care of that for you before the show, especially if you don't hold them the same week as a show that will need the deeper dirt. It takes longer to pack it than to fluff it, IME.

I know we do dog agility on dirt in some arenas where they regularly hold barrel races, cuttings, team pennings etc. Trust me, we don't want to be personally running through that deep stuff either! Also some reining venues will not be nearly as deep as a barrel race or cutting/roping etc. but won't be hard packed like a dog agility course needs to be.

There is the Cowboy Country CDE in Stillwater, OK in October. Of course, only once a year but an oppurtunity for those with unregistered horses to compete.

Forgot to add it is put on by the Oklahoma Harness horse Association and I am sure it is not the only event they offer.

There is the Cowboy Country CDE in Stillwater, OK in October. Of course, only once a year but an oppurtunity for those with unregistered horses to compete.
I can find contact info on the internet for this? I've never heard of it before.

I will look into it and pass the word to driving folks who asked about open shows.

Marsha, Here is that link for the Oklahoma Harness Horse: http://www.oklaharnesshorse.com/ I have wanted to join while in Oklahoma but I made the choice this last year to go to the other driving club that meets in Yukon (Oklahoma Draft & Mule) . The Oklahoma Harness Horse meets up near Tulsa. They don't do much during the winter months but I am told that they are active in the spring, summer and fall. Let me know what you think if you join. Debbie

Marsha, Here is that link for the Oklahoma Harness Horse: http://www.oklaharnesshorse.com/ I have wanted to join while in Oklahoma but I made the choice this last year to go to the other driving club that meets in Yukon (Oklahoma Draft & Mule) . The Oklahoma Harness Horse meets up near Tulsa. They don't do much during the winter months but I am told that they are active in the spring, summer and fall. Let me know what you think if you join. Debbie
Thanks for posting that link for the group. I did find the site, and forwarded it to the interested folk. I am not profficient enough to compete there myself, but some other drivers I've spoken to about open shows would welcome that challenge.

You could always volunteer if your not ready to compete. It is a great way to see it and learn about the sport.

Cowboy Country (Stillwater) CDE is an excellent event in October. There is also Sunrise Ridge DT in Decatur (Paradise), TX in April and Black Star DT in October in Rockwall, TX. You don't have to be proficient to enter any of these events. Just check out the Omnibus on the ADS web site.

Latest posts

Back