Injection form of Regumate

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julie/Azariah

Reaction score
I have a mare that we are using regumate through her pregnancy.

She is not at my farm, so to make it easier for the barn manager, we would like to try the injections, one shot every 12 days.

The company is recommending just under 1/2 large horse dose for the minis.

Has anyone used it? How did it work?

Yes- worked great- but I think we did it maybe on a 10 day routine? Can't recall exactly now.

Peggy

I've used injectable progesterone. Given at weekly intervals. It worked well on one mare and kept her in foal. Another mare on it, turned up open. I now have a mare who has been difficult to get in foal. If she is now, she will go on daily regumate.

I've used the injectible on a variety of mares with mixed results. The dosage would depend on the strength of the product you are using.

I gave an injection every 7 days.

My vet's feeling is that it does not maintain as steady a blood level as the oral given every day, and if you forget a dose........

My preference is the oral, but I would certainly use the injectible again rather than lose a foal.

Charlotte

Well giving shots to me is NOT easier than oral, under any circumstances. Not sure why shots would be easier, but perhaps she is out in the pasture?

Good luck in any case, I would think daily dosage would regulate her system better, I wouldn't want to overload them and have them loose the foal. Most Vets are still not sure this works for holding PG's, as it is. (Well as of a couple of years ago, I have not asked about it recently)

Progesterone shots are not easier... first off, its not as reliable as regumate. The dose isn't as even and steady; the drug is absorbed rapidly at first, then wears off quickly, usually within 4 days (through our testing). Secondly, the substance is a thick oil which requires a 18g needle to dose properly. And most horses do not appreciate such a large needle. Thirdly, the oil is very thick and poorly absorbed. That means that the oil can cause irritation and lumps in the injection area. It also causes pain. Most of the horses I injected (maintained approximately 100 recipient mares on weekly injections) hated it and became very antisocial.

All in all, Regumate is cheaper, more reliable, more evenly dosed, and safer for the mare. I wouldn't ever use injectable again.

Well, whatever it was I used worked great. It was specially compounded so I am not sure what it was anymore, as it has been a couple of years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back