I'M SOOO BUMMED

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shelly

Reaction score
I just found out that my new BRED mare IS NOT BRED!
default_no.gif
Vet says ... no visible signs that she had conceived and lost it either! This really BITES:(

Are you saying you purchased her as a bred mare?

I had an experience in 2008 where I made an offer on a mare and her filly foal .

She was advertised as bred but while making arrangements for pickup the seller advised me that the mare was again showing signs of heat.

She said she put her back with the stallion but reduced the purchase price by 300.00.

I went thru with the sale and I do think that the mare looks bred, however have not had a vet check.

I felt the seller was fair with making a price adjustment.

It is quite dissappointing though if you were expecting a bred mare and some even pay a higher price because of it.

Vet may be right, but still watch if you know the due date. We have had two mares that were vet checked not in foal, and guess what, 9 to 11 months after their breeding dates we had a foal. So they were pregnant when he checked them. So don't count on always the vets are right. I wouldn't expose them to some other stallion quite yet.

Yes it is very disappointing...I would NOT have paid the full price on her if she was not bred! MY FAULT for not having her vet checked before I went through with the sale. TWICE BURNED NOW...you would think I would have learned from the first
default_new_shocked.gif

Vet may be right, but still watch if you know the due date. We have had two mares that were vet checked not in foal, and guess what, 9 to 11 months after their breeding dates we had a foal. So they were pregnant when he checked them. So don't count on always the vets are right. I wouldn't expose them to some other stallion quite yet.
She was supposedly bred on August 2nd. and 3rd. and showed no signs of heat for 30 days afterwards and is not showing any signs being around my stally either! I would expect my vet to be able to feel or see something as she is supposed to be 5 months along!!!!! She palpated her and did an internal ultrasound...nothing found either way!
default_wacko.png
So I AM VERY UNSURE!

All I can say is ours were around the 4 month mark when bought and neither by vet were bred after the palpation and US, so apparently they were hiding in there in a horn or something, because sure enough we had a foal by both around there due time. We did not expose them to any other and planned to wait and expose them after their previous breeding dates the following year if they showed no signs by that time. If guaranteed to be in foal, I would contact them and let them know she wasn't and see what terms can be worked out.

Shelly,

Sorry to hear about your mare. I think many of us have been there at one time or another. Even if she had been vet checked it only means she was in foal the day she was checked. As said keep an eye on her just in case.

Mark

I am so sorry . This has to be disappointing news.

I was told last summer by two different vets that my mare was not pregnant and she delivered in August.

Is there a chance an error was made in determining her pregnancy.?Just a thought .

Whoops- sorry just read the other posts and saw this is already being discussed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will wait and see what happens in June/July when she is supposed to be due before I expose her to Joey...I want to make sure and not harm her or a foal. I did email her previous owner and she is looking into a stud fee refund! We'll see
default_wacko.png

I went through this again and again with my big horses. My quater horse never did foal. My Standardbred was hard to get in foal and when she finally did I took her to a riding stable where I kept my other horses. Being pregnant she had a REAL BAD fly problem and the stable used a lawn preperation in her stall and across her food and water without changing it. She lost the foal and never got in foal again. third one they were breeding her and breeding her. After the fourth month they said this was the last month they would breed her. A vet was out and checked her and asked why we didn't think she was in foal. We said because she was still showing heat. He said she was in foal from the first breeding. She had a filly. I know you are bummed because you are not getting a foal this year. But, you will get your foal. All it takes is percervearance.

"Yes it is very disappointing...I would NOT have paid the full price on her if she was not bred! MY FAULT for not having her vet checked before I went through with the sale. TWICE BURNED NOW...you would think I would have learned from the first"

That is a bummer for sure. Has happened to me also though I was told up front that there was no guarantee on the pregnancy. I think anytime you buy a "bred" mare you have to decide if you'd want the same mare if she were open and what price you're willing to pay. I know when I was looking at mares to buy the breeder had 2 that I liked very much; both were exposed to stallions and I have to say the deciding factor was who they were bred to, so I was very dissappointed when she wasn't in foal.

I was really hoping for a foal from this mare as my other mare IS PREGNANT and I wanted a buddy for the foal....especially come weaning time! I truly hope the vet was wrong and she is bred! Spring won't come soon enough that is for sure!!!
default_no.gif

She was supposedly bred on August 2nd. and 3rd. and showed no signs of heat for 30 days afterwards and is not showing any signs being around my stally either! I would expect my vet to be able to feel or see something as she is supposed to be 5 months along!!!!! She palpated her and did an internal ultrasound...nothing found either way!
default_wacko.png
So I AM VERY UNSURE!
[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]

Don't just assume that your veterinarian is always correct in their assessment. I'd recommend having blood pulled and tested...

I personally purchased
"Lucky Four Covergirl" from the Ann Simons Seahorse dispersal (keep in mind that she was not sold as being confirmed) so I put her in with our stallion a month after she arrived but she didn't give any signs of being in heat when presented to him. So I decided to have my veterinarian palpate her and do an ultrasound. His results indicated that she wasn't in foal.

However, I felt like she was so I had her re-checked within one week by Dr. Thersa Dryer whom we normally utilize and guess what she was four months into her term and she's in foal to
"Evergreens Orion Commanders Onyx" for a 2009 foal.

Kimberle Young

Allure Ranch

http://www.allureranch.com

http://www.simplyice.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had similar situations where the vets have palpated and ultrasounded told me the mare was not in foal. And she actually was. A friend of mine breeds quarter horses she keeps getting told her mares ARE in foal and this is the second year in a row out of 15 mares bred she has has a single foal. Up until a change in her feed and the new vets shes had a minimum of 5-10 foals a year. She doesnt breed for a lot but in the past years shes been breeding everything because she hasnt been getting any foals.

I have a mare in my barn that has been confirmed in foal three times now and she still shows complete heat cycles every 21 days. And will actually still allow the stallion to fully cover her if Hes in the paddock with her. I have separated them due to not wanting to injure the baby or cause premature labor. She is due in April.

And my mare that supposedly aborted the foal still looks pregnant and has not had a heat cycle. So Ill be watching her as well. They people who looked after her for the 2 days I was sick that found the "fetus" are horse people. But Im not sure if it was possible that she might have been carrying twins and aborted one like a couple of other people have found on the forum.

I'm sure it has to be very disappointing to have your heart set on a certain foal and then not get it. However, that is just the nature of raising horses. It is always a gamble. To provide a live foal guarantee would greatly increase the price of the transaction (I have no idea what you paid, but just speaking in general terms). I have been very fortunate in being able to purchase a few mares, pasture bred to National/World Champion stallions for less than the stud fee to those stallions. In each case, I was fortunate in getting a foal from the mare, but it is always a gamble. I had one mare bred to an outside stallion who aborted at around 5 months. I live in a rural area and my mares are in pasture 24/7 with access to run in shelter. If it had happened when I was at work, it is possible that I would have never known she aborted, and wondered why she did not have a foal the next spring.

I just found out that my new BRED mare IS NOT BRED!
default_no.gif
Vet says ... no visible signs that she had conceived and lost it either! This really BITES:(

I know how you feel. Same thing happened to me. I was so disappointed.

Heather

Latest posts

Back