I'm joining you~ Cart Drivers ADVISE

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeAnna W

Reaction score
I've never done any driving with a cart. We recently went to the National Miniature Donkey Show in Central Point, Oregon. After seeing all the cute little donkeys pulling their carts around so proud and the women and men were dressed in old west clothing ~ I new I wanted to try it.

Tomorrow I'm going to pick up my new girls "Rosie" & "Melody" they're mother daughter. Rosie is gray and Melody is black. They're both trained to pull a cart. Is this putting the donkey before the cart? ha ha

If you can recommend any books or videos on driving I'd really appreciate it~ or any advise.

Thanks, DeAnna

Mini Badonkadonk Farm

Redmond, Oregon

I always advise people to get help learning, to stay safe!
default_smile.png
Try to find a driving club in your area. You can try looking for one at http://www.americandrivingsociety.com/ you could also find someone through local miniature horse clubs.

Jessi

Benson Miniature Donkey Ranch trains Donkeys to drive and pretty sure is willing to help folks learn. You should give them a jingle...as they are down your direction.

Here's an interesting link http://www.oregonvos.net/~jrachau/drive.htm

It's about teaching a donkey to drive, however you need to teach yourself how to drive them, so it could work in the same way! I'd recommend you do LOTS of groundwork/ground driving with them to get yourself completely used to it, and they used to you. It's a great way to practice driving without doing it. If you have clubs in your area, they may offer driving clinics, we have a big driving stable down teh road here, and they have driving clinics regularly...which is great to attend.

I'm certainly no expert in driving, but I taught myself while I taught my miniature horse, and the donkey that I drive drove before I got her. Prior to these two minis, I had experience only in driving a draft team. I also have a very accomplished driver to get lots of good advice from!

Good luck!

DeAnna,

it's going to be a while before I get my baby donk driving but my mini horses are both the right age to start. Maybe we can get together after training and go drive the mountain roads together
default_yes.gif
:

Latest posts

Back