I'm beginning to dislike

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Al B

MHT Supporter
MHT Supporter
Reaction score
In the past 3 years we have had 12 colts and 1 filly.
default_wacko.png

Saturday we had our first foal of the year. A strong, healthy, solid black, colt.
default_new_shocked.gif

I am having the water tested.

That is too funny! You must have done something to make the Berry Fairy so fond of your farm.

I know exactly how you feel we have had 3 live foals so far and all three are boys and the one we lost was a boy too! I even ring tested a couple of them as fillies!

default_laugh.png
I agree with you, I am beginning to dislike Winkies too!!

For the last 4 years I have had mostly colts, my dogs have had mostly boys , my cat last year had 6 kittens and 5 were boys and my daughter has had 3 sons.
default_new_shocked.gif
. So far this year, I have had 1 dead colt, one live filly (but the mare was bought and bred down in Texas, so I did not do the breeding), and 1 live colt, also black.

As for the water being tested, send your tester up here. Is God trying to tell us something?

Hahaha! Too funny!!!!
default_laugh.png
I personally like the boys. I'm a gelding lady!
default_wub.png

But you know, my doctor had a discussion with me when I was pregnant. He said there was a study showing the correlation between bottled water and girls. More girls were born (2:1) in areas where bottled water was drank more than normal water. Something in the plastic caused high estrogen or something?? Anyways, I had a boy!
default_laugh.png

Too funny!! Well I think it was 11 years of us having mostly colts before we finally had either 50/50 or a year of more fillies than colts. So far this year its 2 boys and 4 live fillies and 1 dead foal also a filly. So I feel your pain
default_wacko.png

Gary and I can identify Al B. When we first got into miniatures we purchased a bay and white tobiano stallion and a sorrel mare along with their 4 mo old solid bay filly. The mare was rebred to him. She delivered a beautiful black and white tobiano filly after 8 mos. Then the PINTO and FILLY FAIRIES left. Since then every foal we have had has been a silver dapple colt except for one silver dapple filly. Four different mares with the same result. Trying a different stallion for next year so we'll see...

Ruth

I've had nothing but boys born since I started breeding, though this is my third year so it hasn't been that long. I am so hoping for a girl this year, or two!

Well Al, Your not alone here. Last year I only bred one mare for this year as I am not breeding any more and thought that I would go out with this last foal being a filly. Wrong! It was a colt, but a nice colorful one and healthy so thats all that counts. Will make a nice gelding.
default_laugh.png

Last year I had a mare in foal and she had always had colts for me so I wispered in her ear and told her if she had a colt I would sell her. Well she had a beautiful Filly. I guess that she thought I meant what I said.
default_laugh.png

Joyce

I hesitate to post this since you never know who will read it and what they will take away but I recently read an article (in The Horse I think) that said studies(or a study) have shown that the mares who are bred when they are in the best condition are most likely to have a colt. Something about nature seeing a need for more fillies to be born when times are harder for the horses (in the wild of course) since one colt can breed many mares but each filly only has one shot per year. So having more mares when the going gets tough makes it more likely some will be available to reproduce. Its been a little while but I think that was the main point of the article. Sooo.... those of you who are getting lots of colts can take it as mother natures way of saying you are taking excellent care of your horses
default_wink.png
default_laugh.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I hesitate to post this since you never know who will read it and what they will take away but I recently read an article (in The Horse I think) that said studies(or a study) have shown that the mares who are bred when they are in the best condition are most likely to have a colt. Something about nature seeing a need for more fillies to be born when times are harder for the horses (in the wild of course) since one colt can breed many mares but each filly only has one shot per year. So having more mares when the going gets tough makes it more likely some will be available to reproduce. Its been a little while but I think that was the main point of the article. Sooo.... those of you who are getting lots of colts can take it as mother natures way of saying you are taking excellent care of your horses
default_wink.png
default_laugh.png
Either the above or you have boys who's guns are only loaded with one type!
default_yes.gif

Maybe Sandee's right, only one kind of bullets
default_laugh.png
, pure speculation on my part, but could it have something to do with temperature? I've noticed that my filly producing stallion breeds in the early morning or after dark at night when it is cooler outside, the two boy producers start getting randy at 5:00 in the afternoon when it is too hot to think..
default_wacko.png

Problem with mine, it is just not one stallion. I have 4 that I am breeding with. Some are pasture bred, some are hand bred. The hand bred are done around 5:00PM, the pasture bred, done during the night as I never see them breeding.

So, what do I need to do to get girls? I have one mare who has given me 3 boys in a row. She is back in foal for this year to the same stallion. Due in a couple of weeks. It will probably be another colt. Another mare, she had all fillies beofre I got her, 3 boys in a row for me, with two different stallions. :arg Then there is Affairs dam, two colts from her. She is in foal to a different stallion this year.

It has to be the water.
default_wink.png

Sell her pregnant and that person will get a filly! Hahaha! We bought a full size appaloosa mare pregnant with a baby at her side. Always produced solid colored colts (that's why she was finally sold). But that year when she foaled for us, we got a colored filly!
default_laugh.png

LOL Al! When we leased Charger from you 3 years ago (wow, has it been that long???), he gave us two fillies. Maybe OK water is more conducive to producing fillies than TX water?
default_laugh.png

Since 2005 we've had 2 live boys, 1 live girl. Odds for girls don't seem to be real great here either
default_laugh.png

Latest posts

Back