IGG testing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mama 'n me minis

Reaction score
This is my third year having foals. We have one colt (born yesterday) and are expecting 4 more. I vaccinate all my mares 2 to 4 weeks before they are due to foal.

My vet states that she recommends an igg test on all foals followed by serum infusion if they fail the test. Do most of you follow these type guidelines ? I have done this the past 2 years and of course it can become very costly. All my foals have passed the test except for one colt last year from an older mare. The fees involved just for the farm call and test tend to run around 100.00 and if an infusion is needed then the cost runs around 400.00 I do want to do the right thing by my horses but then I can end up with hundreds of dollars ( mares shots, vet care, feed, igg testing, cameras, breeder alert system etc.) in a colt that is bringing 500.00 to 800.00 in todays market. We are like many others and are considering not having any foals next year. I am just wanting some other opinions on the igg testing. Do you do it and is there a way you can do it yourself to save some vet bills?

By the way.. the colt we had yesterday was a dystocia but I was able to deliver the foal. ( Thank Heaven for Equi-page !) We had the vet out to check the mare and foal since the delivery had been difficult for all involved. The foal finally nursed well at about 2 hours old and mare and colt are doing great this morning.

I have had foals for many many years. I do not do the IGG test on mine, unless I think there is a problem.

I do watch the foal very closely for the first 24-48 hours. If they start to get lethargic and sleepy then I will have the vet out immediately.

I have only had one problem with a foal not getting enough colostrum. The mare became very sick a week before she had the filly. The mare ended up at the vet hospital with hyperlipemia(sp) for a week. She started dripping milk the second day. When I questioned the vet about this and loosing her colostrum he said not to worry. Well she did not have any when the filly was born (on a Friday). When she started to go down hill fast I asked my vet to do an IGG and he said she probably is fine and he wouldn't be able to get it out until Monday, but if I had concerns then I would have to take her to the MSU vet hospital, 2 1/2 hours away. I was very upset with this vet. Well we ended up loading mom and baby up and heading off. By then the baby was listless. I gave her Karo syrup before and once during the trip. We also made the trip in two hours. When they did the IGG test, the filly only had a level of 35 (norm is 800 or higher). The vets couldn't understand why she was still alive. They did the blood transfusion and she pulled through fine.

I would have my foal checked if the mares milk did not come in right away, the foal was not eating like it should, not acting as a normal foal of that age, or if mare was sick. But I would recommend to have it done to anyone who is not experienced in foaling just to be on the safe side.

I would have my foal checked if the mares milk did not come in right away, the foal was not eating like it should, not acting as a normal foal of that age, or if mare was sick. But I would recommend to have it done to anyone who is not experienced in foaling just to be on the safe side.

I so agree, and so very well said!
default_saludando.gif

I am going against the grain here and saying yes I do get one done on every foal. It is one of those things that I feel is the right thing to do, to at least have a heads up on a potential situation. I would much rather know that their may be an issue with a foal who's levels aren't exactly where they need to be rather than being blind sided and in a panic.

I will not cut costs by skipping this test, if I can't afford to have the test done, then I wouldn't have exposed the mare, this is just me, everyone is entitled to do as they please, but I feel it is my obligation as a responsible owner.

I also wanted to add, the comment about the mares milk not coming in right away, and checking in that instance does not hold true. I had a mare with NO milk last year, we did get it to flow freely after a few hours. That foals IgG levels were off the charts, two other mares with full bags had foals with IgG levels that were low, one was a maiden one wasn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been raising minis since 1994 and have never had even one tested. Maybe Lady Luck has been on my side, but so far, so good.

I've had it done on every foal the past few years, I like to have the vet out to check the mare's placenta and check over the foal anyway, just for my peace of mind! I like to know that everything is fine after I have lost sleep, and anticipated for 10-11 months the arrival of the little one. Yes it is expensive, and yes the market is down for Minis, that's why I'm going to stop breeding for awhile!

Yes, every single time. No question.

A lot of people poo poo it. Then they loose a $15,000 foal and realize their stupidity of trying to save $50. Its playing roulette every time you skip it. You'll never forgive yourself if you loose a foal.

Yes, you can do it yourself. It requires knowing how to draw blood. There is a SNAP test which is okay, but cheapish, and a test from ARS which is great if you own a Densimeter ($1900-3000) and gives you a very accurate NUMBER to go by.

I also test every foal, every time.

The problem with failure of passive transfer is that the foal can seem fine and perky, but then at day four or so they crash. Then you've got a suddenly weak foal that may not have the strength to endure the plasma transfusion, and whatever other complications they have as a result of lack of immunity.

Peace of mind is the best money spent.

Lisa

While I feel confident enough to check the placentas myself to make sure it's all there, I still have the vet come out to do the IGG. There's never been a problem, but as I often have maiden mares I get concerned that there is enough colostrum and milk. And besides, it gives me a chance to show off my little foals to my vets, as they really don't have many other miniatures in their practice!
default_wink.png

I think IGG tests are fine to skip if you are very expierienced and know what to look for in prevention and signs the foal is not doing well. I have been around foaling mares since I was 4. I do not get IGG test done unless there is a problem or reason to believe the foal did not get the colostrum it needed. I foal watch 24/7 I watch to make sure the foal stand and nurse and passes manure before leaving it unattended. I always check to make sure the foal has a sucking reflex. When I watch it nurse I get on my hands and knees and look under the mare (be careful doing this as some mares can be protective and cranky) to make sure the foal is actually latched on to the nipple instead of sucking on the udder, which can sound the same. I will also lightly put my hand on the foals throat to feel that it is actually swollowing. In all the time I've been around foaling mares, there has never been a foal that needed an IGG test that we did not know needed one.

When I was in school I know we had to learn how to do an at home IGG test. I don't remember who made it though, but I know there's one out there.

We don't test; I actually asked my vet last year if many people around here do test their foals and she said no--in the years she's been practicing she has never had anyone ask her to do an IGG test on a foal. Just not something that people around here do I guess.

I foal watch 24/7 I watch to make sure the foal stand and nurse and passes manure before leaving it unattended. I always check to make sure the foal has a sucking reflex. When I watch it nurse I get on my hands and knees and look under the mare (be careful doing this as some mares can be protective and cranky) to make sure the foal is actually latched on to the nipple instead of sucking on the udder, which can sound the same. .
This is exactly what I do as well!
default_yes.gif

Thank you for all the opinions. We are watching our foal closely and he is doing very well. We have decided this year to watch and test only if we have any reason to believe that there is a need. He is nursing well and having sticky orange milk poo also.
default_smile.png
In a perfect world ,I suppose I would have them all foal out at a vet hospital and have every test. Oh for a perfect world....as i stare ay my cameras all night with my beeper hanging off my nightgown.
default_wacko.png

Like mentioned, it doesn't matter how experienced you are. By the time the foal starts to act off its dead. There is nothing you can do. Don't pat yourself on the back and say you know how to see problems... when the problems start you have already lost the foal.

I can't imagine a big breeding farm (whether it's minis or thoroughbreds or warmbloods etc.) would have the vet out for every foaling just to test. So, I'm of the thought that if everything's going well, no test. Only if there seems to be a problem.

I just had this exact conversation with the vet who just check Mazie. I asked her if she thought it was necessary; she said no. She explained her answer very well--but I'm foggy headed after 11 days of mare stare, and don't want to miscommunicate what she said. She thought it was stressful for the foal too.

well I'll weigh in here having just lost a filly I had such high hopes for with this same subject:

Filly born 1 month early, mare without a bag the night before--seemed to be doing fine the first night, but around 18 hours, more weak, not drinking well, etc. Loaded mare and foal up, off to the UW Equine Vet clinic--IGG had been drawn by the vet before the road trip and was "low" but was the snap test. Filly had a plasma infusion, antibiotics and was dead within 24 hours. I'm not new at this, I have all the cameras and set up galore and really watch my new foals--but when they fade, they fade FAST.

Even the UW Vet clinic couldn't save my girl--so I think for me--I'm learning how to draw my own blood and using the snap tests for peace of mind. By the way, when there is a doubt within the first 6 hours of how well they are nursing, our vet had a liquid to give to the foal by syringe-I have used that for a couple in the past that seemed to be a bit "slow" at finding the milk bar.

I think for the 11 months you wait, a snap test is not expensive and certainly a good information.

We have had it done on every foal born here and we will continue to do so. This is what my vets recommend and that is in consideration of the real and emotional value of our foals.

Nathan, in my opinion, is very right. If the foal didn't get what it needs from the colostrum, then by the time you see there is a problem, it is more than likely too late. I also appreciate that Nathan has real, professional experience in this exact area so his advice is more than that of a "hobby" type person in my book.

It is an easy test and our new foals and mares have handled it extremely fine / relaxed. Typically the mare and foal end up "loving on" and being loved on by the vet, so it is a pleasant and easy experience all around.

One thing I don't ever want to feel is that "if only I had..." and all the guilt that would come along. It's so well worth the farm call and the piece of mind. I can deal with almost anything when it comes to the horses, so long as I can honestly say I did all I thought was best.

I am very lucky to have a practice of 4 wonderful vets with someone available 24/7 every day of the year. If the vets I use were not so available, good and nice as they are, maybe I wouldn't have it done. However, with the easy access and pleasant experience all around (us and the horses), I cannot think of a "why" for H and I not to do this for our foals. That is unless I'm looking to save $150 (farm call / exam / test). After 11mos on the inside and all my hopes and dreams -- it's money well spent.

PS you might compare it to wearing a seat belt in the car... I drive 100 miles a day when I go o the office. In the 10 years of making that commute, I've never had an accident. Does that mean I shouldn't bother to wear my seat belt?

The smallest breeding farm I've worked for had 50 broodmares, one had 500, the rest over 100. Every single place, in five different states, did the test on every foal. The bigger facilities did it onsite with a densimeter, which costs $2300 plus $5 per test. If you really do that many foals its a great investment. Plus, it gives you great data for your stallions (its main use is to measure sperm concentration) and is mandatory with any quality shipped semen program. So if you're gonna do it anyways, its a great add on to install for such a cheap cost. Then all you have to do is learn how to draw blood and spend 15 minutes in the lab and you have an instant number (not a "low", "acceptable", or "high" like from a SNAP test, but an actual number (600-1800)) to reference. Then you can RETEST if your foal is low after administering colostrum, then you can call the vet for plasma after. This could save you thousands of dollars in unnessesary plasma, if you have enough foals in your career.

Latest posts

Back