I will survive! Drought, heat, low-lifes, etc.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Something to keep in mind is that this $6 - $8 hay most people are talking about is 2 wire bales of 50-60 pounds each. Not the 120 pound bales with 3 wires or strings you see in California.
Yes, and 50 pounds is high end of the weight of my grass bales. And we are talkin low-med quality grass bales at that.

REO I know what you are talking about. Was lucky to get 100 bales from one of my dealers and paid $7.00/bale--wished he would have let me have more but not--was glad I was the first to the hay barn after he baled--saw him baling one day and called and was going to get out of the field but he already picked it up so went straight to the barn. He usually fills his hay barn twice during the season and then has hundreds of large round bales. He has been in the busines for over 35 years and said this is the worst he has seen--he hay season was over the end of June with only 750 square bales from fields that usually make 1000s and not a round bale to be had. He is worried he may have oversold and may have to find hay for his own horses.

My second hay guy stumbled onto a 10 acre pasture that someone wanted done and it made just over 275 small squares and I was able to get 128 of those for $5.00 but let a dear friend have 20 and another girlfriend needed 25 so that left me with 78. He usually supplies me with all my round bales ( I used 20-25 a year) and he said "NONE THIS YEAR" as he needs 350 just for his cattle. He was kind enough to sell me two just before this last surgery on my right knee and they did not even last 10 day feeding 14 horses.

Lumber 2 has gotten in some very nice "MID Squares" called 3x4 5-string bales and I picked up one of those to use in place of the round bales. Just before I had surgery (7/29) the bales were just under $80.00 the one I pick up was $125.00. Mid square is equal to 21 small squares. They have small squares but are $10.95 a bale.

They also have their alfalfa coming from North Dakota so I picked up a 3x3 broken bale of alfalfa and have it sitting in the barn for this winter and will be going back this afternoon to pick up what that call "CRATED Bales"--when all the strings on the 3x3 break they put the hay in crates so I have to go pick up 2 of those this afternoon and will store them in the horse trailer. The alfalfa 3x3 are $130 a piece, but got a break on the one broken bale and the crate bales. Really don't like feeding alfalfa especially if it is from OK because of the beetles but since this is from ND I decided to take a chance. This is a little stemmy but can't be helped.

I'm just glad to be able to find some. Just hoping that Lumber 2 will have a supply that will get us most of the way through winter and praying for a mild winter with adequate moisture, if not it is really going to be bad.

Latest posts

Back