I Regretfully Announce

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Secret Hills Ranch

Reaction score
I am regretfully announcing I am (for the time being) having to leave the miniature horses aside. Due to college, I not only have no time for them I also cannot afford them... In the last two weeks I have painfully let go of my jumper Calmar

calmar_01.jpg

and

Dustin

Image022.jpg

I am now facing letting go of my dearest friend who has been with me through good and bad Cinder.

cinder_best.jpg

As hard as this is for me to go I feel it is a move in my life that will lead me to my calling. I will miss you all on LB and I will terribly miss my horses. It has been a terrible couple of weeks filled with tears, but I feel it is for the best... Thank you all for your kind words and assistance in the past and I wish the best for you all in your future biddings. I've got to stop typing, I'm crying again. Thank you all and I'll still be online on occassion if you'd like to chat.
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Your jumper has always caught my eye but -- while it is hard now I am so glad you are doing what is best for them even though it is breaking your heart but stop by and visit here and keep in touch with us all

You go take the world by the tail honey and stop by to say hello to us when you can if you want.

Horses aside we're always here for you as friends
yes.gif

Best of luck to you in all you do! Maxine

I wanted to add, I won't be leaving the horses completely, I'm going to keep Peppinnic, my quarter horse. We'll mainly just trail ride, but we'll also occassionally do a show or two. I ride him in the reining and reined cow horse stuff. It's definately easing my pain to still have one. But it is so difficult. My horses are a part of my family. They're not just horses to me.....

DocsPepNicSydMe.jpg

Best of luck to you! All of your horses are beautiful but I'm glad your keeping one of your horses so you can still enjoy him.
smile.gif

I know how hard this must be for you.....but you have your whole life ahead of you, and many adventures await.
yes.gif

I'm glad you are able to keep one of your dear friends....that will help thru your sadness of letting the others go.

I am sorry you had to sell most of your horses. When I first went to college in the fall of 1996 I only had 2 horses, both arabians. The older of the 2 was blind and the younger one was only 2 and not broke. I came home every weekend and spent time with them. My brothers kept them spoiled. In 1997 I started working my 1994 filly under saddle. I bred my blind mare. Then in 1997 my younger mare was in a bad accident and could no longer be ridden. So now I had 2 horses, one blind and one crippled. In October of 1997 I went to a auction and bought a 2 year old arabian filly for $600. On weekends I got her use to tack and my dad and brother put the saddle on when I was at school. Come spring I rode her and my blind mare had a filly. I rebred my blind mare and put the filly for sale. In 1999 I graduated college, and my mare had another filly. So now I had a blind mare, a crippled mare, a 2 fillies I couldn't ride, and sold my riding horse. In 1999 I bred both my blind mare and crippled mare and in 2000 got 2 colts and rebred both mares. In 2001 I sold one colt and the younger filly and my blind mare had a colt and my cripled mare had a filly whom I sold at 4 but recently bought back. I retired my cripled mare as having foals was to hard on her. I sent my 1998 mare for training under saddle and then I bred her and my blind mare in 2001 and in 2002 the 1998 mare had a colt who was sold before he was born and my blind mare she had a filly who I sold in 2004. I sold her 2001 son in 2002. I bred my blind mare in 2002 and she had a filly in 2003 who I sold in 2005. I sent my 1998 mare for more training under saddle and in halter(show). Then I bred my 1998 mare in 2003 and got a filly in 2004 whom I sold at 5 months. I bought a miniature stallion, whom I gelded and 2 arabian mares in 2003 and sold one mare in 2004 and one mare in 2005 after I had bred her. I retained the foal. In December 2004 I bought a registered mini mare in foal, in 2005 I bought a registered mini stallion, 3 registered mini mares in foal, 2 registered mini fillies, and a registered shetland mare. So even though you have to give up your horses, believe me you will find another horse after you graduate college that you will love and spoil. I have had many horses go through my barn and everyone has a special place in my heart. I just am thankful my parents and brothers helped, as well as a friend of mine who rode my horses while I was in college. My blind mare was a amazing riding horse, you just had to be her eyes. I currently have 2 arabs, 8 minis and a shetland with 4 foals due in 2006. One mini mare aborted her foal sadly but I still have 4 foals to look forward to.
yes.gif

I feel your sadness throug your post but during life there are many changes we have to go thru.

Right now in my area I have an older man who must part with his 3 mini mares and his mini stallion because of health reason. He is very said about it but they have to go SAP. iF anyone is interested write me and I can give you the phone number to inquire.

[email protected]

Joyce

While it's really hard to give up your "best friends," you are doing the right thing. I don't have to tell you that by focusing on college, you will have a much better future...a future that can have horses in it. Heck...keep in touch with your buddies' buyers - you just might be able to get them back some day!! I did that with one of my old barrel horses. I had to sell him when I went off to get married, etc., but years later got him back and gave him a good retirement home.

Best of luck to you and what promises to be a very bright future!!

Grandma Jean

Best of luck to you!! I know it is hard...but, it sounds like you have an amazing adventure ahead of you.
yes.gif

When I went to school...well...a VERY LONG time ago lol...I had to do the very same thing you are doing...I couldnt afford the horse and school too. I had him since I was 11- and, he was a gift from my Grandfather... I kinda grew up with him. It was hard...but, the great home I found him made it all ok.

You will find your way back to them. I did...and, you will too!!

Horses just get in your blood...your heart and, you always find your way back to them.

I am proud of you...it takes courage to make decision like this- College is so very important. Good for you...wishing you all the luck in the world!!!
aktion033.gif

stay in touch!!!

lis

I know your heart is broken over having to make this decision, but you are making the right one by securing your future and packing it full of knowledge.

Don't worry. It's in your blood and you will have horses again.

Someday you will be sitting on top of the world on your own farm surrounded by beautiful horses because you put your education first.

Best wishes to you for greatness and please do visit back here as often as you can.

Much Love,

Marty

Good luck with your schooling and there will be a lot of time for horses when you are out of college.

The love of horses never leave us.

Thank you all. Yes, this is the hardest thing I've ever had to do. It was really reassuring reading your posts. Thank you so much and I'm sure someday I will be back in horses full throttle once more. Well, I'm off to school and thanks so much again.
smile.gif

Just wanted to wish you the best of luck with school. I went through the same thing you are. At 18 years old I had to sell all my horses when I left for college. I was the youngest child, my mom was alone on our farm and I was moving 5 hours away to Minneapolis for school and didn't have a car to come home on weekends. I also just couldn't afford to keep them and needed the sale money to pay for school expenses.

I was totally away from horses from 18-21 years and at 21 I started riding again, taking lessons once in a while and going to a ranch to trail ride, met my husband that year, we got married when I was 25 and a few months later with the help of my riding instructor (my husband knew nothing about horses) he bought me a beautiful Arabian show horse as a surprise (and surprised and shocked I was). He actually tried to track down my favorite horse that I'd sold when I left for school to try and buy her back for me, but he wasn't able to find her.

We've had big horses ever since, and got into minis about two years ago now and our entire family is involved and we all show and are having a blast....so just so that you know.....I am sure you will be back in the midst of it all before you know it and when the time is right.....

I wanted to add my best wishes to you also. I also had to sell my animals and horse when I went to college. It was soooooo hard and I really empathize with you. As soon as I was done with college and could support my "habit" I was right back into horses again. You have a long future ahead of you and though it hurts you are definately doing the right thing. Good Luck!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back