I need your guy's expert opinion

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sixshooterfarm

Reaction score
IMAG0152.jpg

IMAG0179.jpg

IMAG0181.jpg

Hi am am gonna bug you guys again! Ok we have no idea when this mare was bred, I mean not even a clue! well she is a maiden mare never had a baby before, she is obviously getting uncomfortable, she is doing a lot of small pee's and poops, looking behind her. she is in no way in any kind of distress just going through the normal routine. my question is, with a maiden mare, how "dropped" is she actually look to you guys, and her udder is starting to swell, but there is no milk, so how soon can a maiden mare bag up and have a baby. Thanks guys, i really dont know what I would do without you!
saludando.gif
wub.gif

Wow! Are you ever going to have some sleepless nights! Mares usually start to bag up a month before they're due......maiden mares can be unpredictable though. Sometimes they bag up fully and sometimes they don't. Sometimes they wax, sometimes they don't. Some mares like to go early, some late.....are you seeing a trend here? I've found that mini's are much more unpredictable than big horses and they like to suprise you. Which isn't good cause they can get into trouble. You're going to have to be very vigilant. Do you have a barn cam......they are worth their weight in gold! Good luck, and keep us posted.
biggrin.gif

Unfortunatly i do not have a barn cam but I will tell you what I would do for one lol! Soooo I am making my long hour tracing up and down to the barn every night, multiple times a night. i just dont know even how close she is! Does she looked dropped to you guys???
wacko.gif

She doesn't look dropped yet. When looking at her from her back end, she's still very "bulbous" looking. When she drops, her foal will move down UNDER her belly more and she won't be sticking out sideways so much.

Because she's a maiden mare, she could be very unpredictable. If she's starting to build a bag, and her being a maiden -- she could be as little as 2 weeks away.

When and if she DOES give you some fluid from her teats, check the consistency. It will get sticky as she gets closer.

Who knows, you might have a Christmas baby!
new_shocked.gif

MA

Latest posts

Back