I have secret clipperaholics!!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StellaLenoir

Reaction score
default_biggrin.png
Well, being boored, with all 3 kids napping
default_new_shocked.gif
I decided to see what my 3 little ones thought of my Boots & Barkley Target dog clippers.....

I have been thinking of clipping them to see what is underneath all the hair, and befor investing in real clippers I played around with the dog ones. I thought they would freak or at least be a bit timid of the clippers, I know for a fact the 2 of my 3 have never seen them.

Well how wrong I was! Rainbow my oldest mare and dam to both my others, was the bravest and she LOVED being clipped. Stood like a show horse! I think she may have some secrets in her past and maybe she is a displaced diva who has been in the show ring.
default_wub.png

After Rainbow gave the all clear, its safe, the other two would not leave me alone! They were on top of each other trying to get clipped! I could only do a few swipes on each alternating between the 3!

I got most of Rainbows head done, half of Silvers neck, a bit of her beard (she could be in the circus as the bearded lady it is so LONG!) And just a bit on Chocolate THunder, as he is still holding strong to the yack outfit. I dont think dog clippers used mostly for a 3# chihuahua are going to cut it!!!!
default_wacko.png

How much fun!!!! How cool they are!!!! I cant wait to get real clippers!

So, what is a good brand? I do not show, (shhhhh no one I own is registered)so the clipping would just be for fun, comfort we are in FLorida, and to appease my obviously clipper addicted horses!

My birthday is in May and I know what I am asking for!!! LOL!
default_yes.gif

hooray for horses!!!!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

I use an Oster A5 that is like 15yrs old.

I had gotten it new when I worked at Petco

and barely used them (occassionally shaving one of our rainbow bridge cats & sometimes clipping out silly patterns on our rainbow bridge Appaloosa) now with having Saber they'll get lots more use than ever before.

I love my Double K's for body clipping and use my Andis Super 2-Speed AGC's for their heads. The Double K's sail through dirty hair, wet hair, etc.
default_yes.gif

I use Wahl KM2 clippers. We needed something quite and durible and this is what the Wahl people recommended. I love them!

Edit: I ment Wahl not oster

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for all the replys
default_aktion033.gif
keep them coming and any and all opinions on clippers welcome!!!
default_yes.gif

I know nothing at all about clipping!!!!!

I bought a set of cordless rechargeable Kim Laubes from Amazon for about $95. They are great for doing head/neck, but trying to do one pregnant mare's belly and legs was about all the batteries could handle. I want to upgrade already!

The double Ks are the fastest, coolest, but not necessarily the easiest to use. I mean that the cord can sometimes be a pain. However, the double Ks are my favorites.

I also have A5s they clip well but they get hot and I do mean the part that you're holding in your hand. You can change blades to keep it cool for the horse but you're holding the whole motor in your hand it gets to hot to hold.

I use battery powered smaller ones Wahl PocketPro, tiny little things, for the ears.

Also battery powered ones that have at least 2 speeds will handle touch ups on the face better (Andis or most any one).

The things that is most important is to have clean hair and sharp blades for any clipper to work well.

Also, what is a good setting for just a casual clip? I dont want bald, or really short, but I would like to see what is under the hair.

Also I think my just turned 3 year old never lost all her foal hair? Is that possible? She and Chocolate THunder, both have hair like rabbit fur, hers in less places, his everywhere. Being my first horses is this normal? Their mama, Rainbows is way thinner.
default_unsure.png
default_wacko.png
default_rolleyes.gif

oh well thanks!
default_saludando.gif

I have Double K's, and could NOT go back to other clippers for body shaving now, they are the BEST!

I use Oster KM2 clippers. We needed something quite and durible and this is what the Oster people recommended. I love them!
KM2's are Wahls. Oster has the A5s as their most popular one. BOTH of those are what I recomend for someone who won't spend the money on the Double K's, or for dog grooming. I was a professional dog groomer for 6 years and the KM2s were my clipper of choice.

Jessi

I agree, Sandee - We have the Oster A5 model and they get really hot - the blades and the the part you hold on to. Seems like I Kool Lube every 30 seconds.

I use the cordless Andis Super AGR+ and LOVE it!! I bought a ceramic blade to go with it, and haven't had to replace it in 3 years of clipping both bathed and dirty horses. I don't show either but clip mare bellies, bridle paths, and body clip foals/yearlings. I love this clippers, and it is a "bargain buy" I think.

Ceramic Blades? I've never seen those. The steels get so darn hot, even with my Double Ks.

I have the Laube cordless, and do love them also. Plus you can adjust the blade to 4-5 depths.

For just clipping for comfort and bridle paths - I'd use a #10. Keeps a nice bit of hair on so you don't have to worry about sunburn or removing all their bug protection.

I use Double K's and #10 blade for everything all the way around for a barn clip

If I was showing, I'd be using other size blades too

We have Double K's , three pair I think. We have bought the ceramic blades, but they are spendier, and for show clipping, didn't see they were any better, or lasted any longer. So with ceramic being spendier, we just buy the Andis blades.

I bought Double K clippers 3 yrs ago and love them. Great investment! Now I just need to learn the correct way to clip. LOL
default_biggrin.png

so I am leaning toward some Double Ks for my b-day.......

I cant wait!!!! And like cherylsminis said, now I just need to learn to clip! I anticipate some badly clipped horse pictures in the near future!
default_biggrin.png

If they turn out anything like my little Honey, (chihuahua) they will be pretty darn funny looking. Lets just say I dont think I will be doing this professionaly any time soon. lol!

Where is a good place to buy Double Ks?

I have Double K's, and could NOT go back to other clippers for body shaving now, they are the BEST!

I use Oster KM2 clippers. We needed something quite and durible and this is what the Oster people recommended. I love them!
KM2's are Wahls. Oster has the A5s as their most popular one. BOTH of those are what I recomend for someone who won't spend the money on the Double K's, or for dog grooming. I was a professional dog groomer for 6 years and the KM2s were my clipper of choice.

Jessi
Yeah, that was a typo.

I have a set of Oster A5's that sit in the box until I have no choice. I use the Andis AGC super 2 speed. They are fast, fairly quiet and use the A5 blades. Just watch your blades and have several sets available. We take the warm ones off and put them in Kerosene to cool and put cool ones on. Just be sure to wipe the kerosene off good and oil before using the blade on the horse again. Even the first spring clipping of my dirty wooly mamouths, I can usually do a whole horse with two blades and one clippers. The catch is to brush and vacumn as best you can and then watch you don't get the blades too hot. I know the Double K would probably be a good investment for us, but with two of us clipping, we have had really good luck with our Andis. We do try to have at least 4 working sets at all times, but then, we have been clipping 30 or more horses every spring and try to do 3 to 6 a day once we get started. I know--we are nuts, but we just can't resist seeing what is under that winter coat. I already have all the blankets washed and repaired and ready to go. Now if the weather would just cooperate a bit.
default_biggrin.png

Latest posts

Back