I don't know how you mare starers do it!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueEyedPony

Reaction score
Wow, I have a new-found appreciation for all of you who have mares to watch every year! Marigold, my Irish Dexter cow, is due to calve with the first birth ever for an animal I have owned...and I'm a wreck! She was pastured with a bull from September 14 2006 through December 17 2006. If she took on her first heat cycle, she should have been due on June 28...and no calf yet!! :eek: The due date for her second heat cycle with the bull is coming up this Thursday, so hopefully we'll be seeing some action soon! It doesn't help that she started bagging up the first week in June, and started loosening up around her tailhead (albeit slowly) the second week in June. She's going to drive me crazy! :new_shocked: At least she's REALLY started bagging up big time over the past week or two (teats filling in nicely, udder getting bigger than I thought it would!), and she's finally getting the tell-tale hollows on either side of her tailhead. :aktion033: Last Wednesday the fetus was kicking so hard, it shook her whole udder and looked like something out of Alien was going to crawl out the side of her belly, but not much action since, so hopefully it's getting into position. Wish us luck!

Some pictures of Marigold's udder and tailhead two nights ago:

Marigoldrear.jpg

Marigoldudder.jpg

For comparison, here she is the first week in June:

Marigoldbath2.jpg

I'm so excited about this calf! If it's a girl (heifer), her name will be Magnolia.
default_wub.png
: A boy (bull) will be named Tarragon. Keep your fingers crossed for the "heifer fairy" LOL!

You make me smile Nikki. I will hope for a heifer born by next Sunday! How are Duncan and Kinder and the girls, and the filly?

Back