I am sooo proud of my Duck

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shortpig

Reaction score
What a great mare I own. I'm so proud of her I'm actually sitting here all giggly about it.

This is what Dorothy sent me today. She started her training 7 days ago and already this.
default_biggrin.png

Today was a great day, training wise. I started with the trailer. We did a few walk and halt transitions on our way there and to see if she was listening. I opened the top door on the trailer and she walked on. No muss, no fuss. We walked off (she wanted to walk over me on the way out, so I backed her away from me and we tried it "like a lady" and she walked off quietly. I turned her around and put her back on a second time and we walked off, closed the top door and went to the barn for the rest of the session. Harness on, a little longing, and I pulled out the PVC poles...no big deal. Then I put the shafts of the training travois into the shaft hangers of the harness and we did several laps of the round pen both directions, first with me leading and then with her leading. Lots of turns to get her used to the feel of the poles against her legs and lots of halts. We dragged them through puddles for the change of noise, through gravel for the rattling, and through the grass, which is all feel and no noise. She did it all with no problems whatsoever. Her only issues stem from wanting to be in charge. It's where she's comfortable and letting me be in charge is slightly out of her comfort zone. After all, she doesn't know me and I might ask her to do something that will get her hurt. So she second-guesses most of what I ask. Sometimes she is right, but sometimes in her efforts to be right, she messes it up. Discipline for her involves a jiggle on the line; nothing more is necessary. Wow!
[SIZE=10pt]Yep Thats my girl![/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool! Training will progress easier when she figures out who is in charge. Jeff Morse helped me figure that out last year. And it is working very well with our 2 yr. old Arab/Dutch Harness mare.

Myrna

Glad to hear that Duckie is doing so well.

Mary offered to help me start Chip, so hopefully we'll get together tomorrow. Then I'll send him off to Dorothy for finishing later this fall
default_smile.png

Cool! Training will progress easier when she figures out who is in charge. Jeff Morse helped me figure that out last year. And it is working very well with our 2 yr. old Arab/Dutch Harness mare.
Myrna

One thing I know is Dorothy will end up in charge and they will work great together. I just hope in the future Dorothy can teach my daughter how to be in charge. That won't be as easy.

Glad to hear that Duckie is doing so well.
Mary offered to help me start Chip, so hopefully we'll get together tomorrow. Then I'll send him off to Dorothy for finishing later this fall
default_smile.png

That's great! Chip will be a great driving horse and that will give him another opportunity to strut his stuff.
default_laugh.png

Latest posts

Back