Husband has a cold

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Valerie

Reaction score
Ok, so I have now been married 7 years and I tell you each year my husband gets atleast 1 cold and I would tell you all now that every year, it's the WORST COLD EVER and that he is catching his death. I am sorry to sound so rude, but good grief, I have had colds & worse and do I sit in a chair with a box of kleenex in one hand a kitchen garbage bag next to my chair on the other side...moaning & groaning & coughing and mumuring I am going to die? No, because I don't get that luxury. (Oh I know, I should be happy he throws his kleenex away), but too bad he uses 10 cups and glasses in a day, and can't seem to put those in the sink.

I am thinking of changing his name to Mela-for Meladramatic.... I had to go to the store yesterday and asked him what he needed, and do you know by the time the day was over, I had to go to the store 3 different times? Good grief....I should have just bought one of everything off the medicine aisle.

I know I sound quite unsympathetic, but come on....get over it already. My husband is a policeman, so he is a very big, tough guy...6'2, but a common head cold has turned him into the biggest baby. I keep hearing that men are the biggest babies when it comes to colds and flus and I have to say, so far, my hubby is proving that theory right.

It got so bad yesterday, I literally had to go back out to the barn & have a nice chat with my pregnant mini mare. She is due in a few weeks and she isn't complaining as much as he is.

Ok, I think I am done venting now....thank you for letting me just vent. :bgrin

I do love my husband to death and each day he has this cold, that prospect is getting closer & closer.
default_wink.png
:

Ok, just kidding about that last statement...before anyone flames me for it. I do truly love my hubby & he is spoiled rotten, I just didn't realize what a big baby I married 7 years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hee hee, that is one thing I sorta find endearing about the "big" guys they do have their soft spots. Bummer that yours seems to get a bit carried away with his.

Maybe next time you head to the store (this works on the boats so Martin tells me when one of the guys is whining a lot and being a baby) either pick him up a box of diapers or some "feminine products" *LOL*

Just teasing, I hope he's feeling better soon so you can get some relief.

Colds are awful, indeed...y'know what helps is chamomile tea not that it will slow down the complaints but it does have an effect on congestion.

Best wishes for your sanity,

Liz M.

Now don't get mad men.......but you ARE big babies when it comes to being sick, at least all the ones I know!

My hubby is the same way..gets the sniffles and you'd think he was going to die...now if he has a slight fever...look out...call the medics or at least a psychiatrist!

That is precisely the reason God made us to have the babies
default_rolleyes.gif
: :bgrin

Haha,,, mine is the same way Valerie. But I am lucky, when I am sick he seems to really understand. But,,, like yesterday, I HAVE that cold. I was in bed all weekend. I had to go to work though, the boss is gone and I had to do some stuff. Who stayed home??? My husband, my son AND My daughter, this seems to be a trend, I don;t know why!!!

Valerie, are you going to the schooling show and leaving Mama to Be home??? Has she developed any bag yet. Hilary drove by and said she was darn near full up in that belly! She thinks she may go earlier than later.

Thank for all of your support, I kept thinking all day at work, I don't want to go home & listen to mister whiney butt....and I honestly know that sounds so rude, but if you all knew how big & tough he was in his normal day to day job, you would think this is just rediculous.

I agree, I thought the same thing Triggy....this is just the reason the men don't have the babies.

Thanks Nootka & Kim, ..... Kim, I hope you are feeling better, I am faithfully taking my Airborne & so far so good...knock on wood, I am not sick.....

Nope, not going to the schooling show, DeeDee is starting to get a little bag going, so I am staying put...so that is the only blessing in disguise with Ken being home sick, he can watch her for me during the day. We thought we had this scheduled just right, I work days he will be on swing shift in April.....looks like I am going to have to call my parents in as reinforcement horse watchers. I agree with Hil, I think she is going to go early too.

Look at it this way, Valerie: Mr. Big and Tough has a safe haven with you where he can let his guard down and be himself (even if it's a little MUCH sometimes!). That's what marriage is all about. A safe place where you can be yourself and still know that you are loved. I'm sorry he is not feeling well and I'm sorry you are having to live with the big baby, but this too soon shall pass! :bgrin

Jayne (who has her own tough big baby!)

OGM HOW FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: Men are huge babies, gigantic babies, whiny, moany, obnoxious BABIES!! I will cater to mine to a limit, then I am done. I have no patience LOL And they call US the weaker sex?

:bgrin :aktion033: I HEAR YA! I must say....as soon as I read the subject title, I began to chuckle! I just KNEW what it was about before I even opened it!
default_yes.gif
: Yep...it's a "man thing"! My husband is the same...I can't stand it! I tell him what a wuss he is too!

Geez, I get sick too, but I sure don't carry on like that! He acts like a baby! Actually, babies don't even behave that bad when they are sick! I think it must be human nature for a man to be such a whiny baby because he has a cold.

default_wacko.png
: OMG....I have a headache, my throat is sore, my body aches all over....come and rub my feet, and so on and so on, and so on.......
default_rolleyes.gif
:

When my hubby had the flu, I thought I was going to have to get a Crane in here to lift him out of bed. He is such a baby when he is sick. He honestly thought he was gonna die.. :lol: He is always that way when he is sick. I take a drink, cough drops, and a bottle of Tylenol put it on the night stand and close the bedroom door. :bgrin

I have a whiney one too! Mine was a marine for 6 years...and during that time he spent a year in Japan (I didn't get to go)...we had scheduled phone calls each week because it was so expensive to call...well, I get a call in the middle of the week...and he just starts doing this exaggerated sniffling over the phone...so finally I asked him if he was sick...."yes"....did you take anything...."no"...well go to the PX and get some cold medicine..."OK"....is there anything else you needed to tell me...."no"...so he spent a good $50 to call and tell me he was sick!
default_wacko.png
:

Then about 6 years ago I broke my ankle VERY badly...I basically ripped it off...shattered about an inch of the femur...and was in a cast with no pressure for 7 months and had 3 surgeries to try to fix it....I was one step shy of losing my foot. Just as I was finally able to start walking again...my husband calls me at work one day and tells me he broke his ankle...and it was as bad as mine...so I'm thinking that's not good...and I'm freaking out. So I made arrangments for someone to pick him up to take him to the hospital....I think he called me at least 20 times in the span of 1/2 an hour telling me how bad it was...and even though the bone didn't come out the side of his foot like mine did...his leg was at least an inch shorter. So I finally make it to the hospital and found my mom (who had picked him up)...and she started laughing as soon as she saw me :lol: Apparently he was in arguing with the doctor because the doctor told him he only had a hairline fracture and he would be fine in 6-8 weeks...and he could put pressure on it...my husband didn't agree and wanted to see "his" orthopaedic surgeon!

So your story really made me laugh
default_yes.gif
:

Tracy

Oh my goodness you guys have me in stiches, thank you for sharing your hubby stories. I hasten to think what would happen if Ken broke his foot or leg....oh my gosh. The good news is I came home this evening after my allergy shots & he sounds & looks much better today...good thing.

Thank you all for taking this in the spirit it was delivered, and if I offended any of you men on the forum I apologize, I have heard that not all men are whiney babies when they are sick, I just got lucky...haha. I am truly lucky, the poor guy is a city boy married to a country girl, so he probably has to suffer through a lot more than I do.

Tracy, I don't know how you did it.....man that broken ankle sounds just awful!!!

I am faithfully taking my Airborne & so far so good...knock on wood, I am not sick.....
Valerie, I swear by that stuff. I was about to get a bad cold in late December and I started taking Airborne every three hours when I felt the worst. Once I felt better I went to one a day and I never got sick. It kept trying to come on for about two weeks but every time I took the Airborne it went away. This weekend I got sick because I forgot to take it when the cold was coming on however, I have been taking it ever since and I only had the chest cold for two days where everyone around me has been out of work for a full week from it. I am good to go now and drinking my Airborne and coffee as we speak. :bgrin

I say, make your husband drink it religiously when he feels a cold coming on. It sounds like he's sure to inform you when that is happening. :bgrin

Funny~ ! Ha! That's why I'm divorced! lol! Actually for allot more reasons than that! I was married for 8 years.... 8 LOOONNNNGGGG years! My X .........arh! Lets just say 4 months of a restraining order did wake him up a little bit..... :deadhorse2:

Now that I have MY OWN place have been divorced for almost 2 years now.... I have 2 kids.... my X now respects me since he knows he can't "control" me anymore...... and I won't even/ever go into all the NASTY details of how he was :new_all_coholic: or :new_argue: would be if I ever (NEVER) went back!!!!!!! I'm so glad! I like to think I'm now married to my minis!!! :xbud: And I stay so beasy with them! That's not really far from the truth! I like it that way too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
default_yes.gif
:

OMG....I have a headache, my throat is sore, my body aches all over....come and rub my feet, and so on and so on, and so on.......
Hehehehehe!

Better yet - if it's none of those things mentioned above, then my hubby is just "off". When I ask how are you (I know a loaded question), he will sometimes say. I am "off" today....this means he has yet to go to the bathroom and can't do anything until he does! :new_shocked:

This is funny!!!!

However, just to give you the flip side :bgrin

My Dad was like your hubby Valerie. Not only was he sicker than enyone else when he was sick but we all had to be VERY sympathetic or he would go into a mood
default_wacko.png
:
default_wacko.png
:
default_wacko.png
:

So, of course, I marry the opposite
default_rolleyes.gif
:

My hubby is as tough as nails
default_yes.gif
:

Never admits to being sick and just seems to get up and get on with it. He refuses to ever acknowledge he is sick.

My husband is a real daredevil and everytime he goes off to 'play' I tell him "Don't come home hurt or i'll kill ya
default_wink.png
:
default_wink.png
: " He is the only breadwinner in the family.

Last year he went snowboarding, per usual. Of course, him and his buddies do extreme snowborading. He slipped on ice and almost killed himself, almost broke his back, suffered a concussion and was really in bad shape..........as he came through the door shuffling and bent over, I said "what did you do?" His reply, "I just hurt my back a little"
default_wacko.png
:
default_wacko.png
: It was his friend who told me the severity of the fall and that he thought he was palalysed initially??

So of course, I admire his bravery and manliness etc
default_rolleyes.gif
:

However, now for the downside he has NO SYMPATHY for me EVER!!!!!!!!!!

I gave birth to my first child 9lbs6 oz and gave birth naturally. He said yeah I bet it is kind of like a toothache................natural childbirth and a little toothache don't compare :eek: :eek:

Now I am no wimp but a LITTLE sympathy once in a while would go a long way!

I guess we can't have it all
default_wink.png
:
default_wink.png
:

Latest posts

Back