Hurricane Report From Santa Fe Texas

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JWC sr.

Reaction score
Just wanted to give everyone a quick update before we have to recharge the cell phones. All is well from here at Cherryville Farms. We lost a few out buildings, about 25 trees, the front and back of the feed building, and the roof of Cindy’s photography studio. We are about 12 miles from Galveston which is where the eye came ashore. We got the full brunt of the hurricane with sustained winds 90 - 110 and gusts to 135 - 140 miles an hour. With lots of driving rain etc.
default_new_shocked.gif
:DOH!

But all the horses, all the other animals (emu, monkey, dogs etc. etc.) are fine with not even a scratch which in itself is a miracle.
default_aktion033.gif
default_biggrin.png
default_aktion033.gif

Cindy & I, Jose, Javier and the rest of the Perez family are all fine. The Cherry kids and grandkids left Thursday and are wanting to come back as soon as power is restored.
default_yes.gif

Additionally, I have talked to Windflight, El Rancho Loco, Freedom Hill, Rocking E farms and beside losing a few trees all of them are fine.

All in all a scary night and now the clean up begins in the morning.
default_yes.gif

Thanks to everyone for the prayers and well wishes. I am sure that is what helped.
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

Vaya Con Dios to everyone,

So glad you and all your critters are safe John, hope the cleanup goes well for you and you get your family back soon. Hugs to all.

Yvonne

John,

Thank you for the update on your farm and your family and also the other farms.

I also thank God for watching over all of you.

When you can check back in - please let me know...do you really have a monkey?

Please keep us updated when you can.

It's good to hear that you and yours and the residents of the other farms listed all came through the storm okay.

I'm so glad to read your good report. Obviously you have a lot of work ahead of you as you repair and clean up, but praise the Lord all the people and animals are okay!

Thanks everyone for the kind thoughts and prayers.
default_aktion033.gif
default_yes.gif
default_biggrin.png

And yes Lisa we do have a monkey, his name is ET
default_wub.png
and he is a 12 year old spider monkey who lives in a 15'X25'X 20' tall cage with 12'X 10" indoor and outdoor portions that is climate controlled.

He along with one emu is a left over from the days when we bred and sold exotic animals for about 20 years. He is really sweet to us and lived in the house with us for his first 5 years. But he is a little agressive now days with strangers though.
default_new_shocked.gif

In addition to the miniature horses over the years we have raised exotic horned sheep, emus, ostrich, all kinds of small animals(hedgehogs,pot belly pigs, Jerboas, etc), numerous type of antelope and deer, bison, watusi cattle, and a number of different types of reptiles. We enjoy all types animals to say the least.
default_wacko.png

It is indeed a real zoo around here at times. LOL
default_no.gif
:DOH!
default_wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
John,

I am glad to know you and your family are still doing ok. Please keep us all updated.

Right now - we are under a flash flood warning and I live in Southwest, MO - so, I really feel for people living South of us.

Ok...now to your animals...LOL.

I don't even know what a couple of those animals are...I am going to have to look them up..lol.

I could probably learn to love all of them ..but, SNAKES...NEVER EVER...TERRIFIED OF THEM. Do you still have snakes?

Do you ever watch Dirtiest Jobs? - I am not a TV watcher, but most of his shows I really like. The monkey show he has is the favorite in our home. We could watch that show over and over - It is too funny!

My daughter when she was little used to cry for a monkey..lol. Then as she got older she wanted a Pot Belly pig. Well, she had to settle for miniature horses...lol. She won't have much to do with them - maybe because she never got her monkey or pot belly pig...lol.

Wait until I tell my husband about this - he can't figure out my love for animals. He will know there is other people in the world that may love animals more than me
default_smile.png

Glad ya'll are fine, so far. We watched all day TV and our thoughts are with ya'll.

Good thing watching is what a wonderful area you live! My next longer ride is to the gulf coast Texas. Its a shame we live 3 years here and haven't been on the most beautiful place on earth, our gulf coast.

And want to see your horses!

We live about 10 hours from the coast and had high winds, lots of rain, trees are down and had power outage. I'll guess our full time job is to clean up all day.

Best wishes

Anita

Anita,

you are more than welcome anytime, as they say on that game show. Come on down!! LOL
default_saludando.gif

Lisa, yes we still raise reptiles and have one 30 X 40 building that is where we breed and house them on the property. We produce about 2500 hatchlings a year. Go to www.cherryvillereptiles.com to view that deal. They are all God's creatures. LOL
default_new_shocked.gif

So Glad to hear that you and the others made is safely thru that storm. It looked bad on the news long before it even came on shore.

God Bless,

Thanks so much for the report so glad we are starting to hear that

some of the farms in your area are ok

Many prayers have been sent your way and still praying for the others

to be as fortunate

What a clean up your state has ahead

again prayers for everyone in the hurricane path

John, glad to hear that no lives were lost from the storm on your farm. I was worried about all of the miniature breeders/owners in the Houston area and east TX. Hope all is as well as can be and hopefully, we will hear that there is only minimal property damage to most.

John,

So glad to hear that all is well with you all and all your critters!!!!! Thank you for the update on all the others you have heard from and hope that everyone on the gulf coast is doing as well!
default_yes.gif
God Bless and hope you all stay safe.
default_aktion033.gif

Thank God you all came thru ok things can be replaced lives can't! Thank you for the update on the ranches in your area that storm was horrendous. Hopefully we'll hear from others as they get back online.

Hi John

You and others have been on my mind since I heard that the storm was headed your way. So glad to hear you are okay, Ray, Martha and others.

Has anyone heard from Mike Roseaur? (sp). Would he have been in the path as well? We had no damage in fact no rain and only tropical breezes, although it was a scare tho., believe me!

Glad you all are safe.

Beth

Glad to hear that everyones O.K., we have dodged the bullet for several years, prayers for those who were not so lucky, Kathy

I spoke with Mike R. last night. He had the generator up and was watching football. They had no damage to the house or barn and only had one section of fence to repair and some branches to pick up. They are about 30 miles north of Beaumont.

John, glad your family and animals came through ok. I feel your pain, 22 trees lost to Ivan and part of our roof and other structural damage to Katrina.

Rick

Just heard from Polly and Anne at Los Arboles and they are okay. Quite a bit of rain and some downed trees, but all in all are okay.

John,

Thanks for the updates! I've been wondering about everyone down there. I can't even imagine what it's been like for you guys because all the way up here in MO we're getting 40mph gusts, about 8 inches of rain and lots of power outages FROM IKE! All the way up here! :DOH!

Glad to here WindFlight is doing well. I've got a bred mare there and was wondering about them.

Does anyone know about Washington, TX? I tried looking it up on the internet and it seemed it would be in the path. We have a horse there at Blue Ribbon but I know Ed and Val were at Nationals. Hope all is OK.

Thanks so much for the update! I'm glad you and others got through this storm without loss of living creatures.
default_smile.png
I continue to pray that the rest of the ranches your way have similar stories.

Latest posts

Back