How would you feel/ What would you do?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Triple 7 Farm

Reaction score
I'm just posting to see how you all would feel about this/ handle this.

Buyer #1 inquired on a mini on the LB Saleboard. Another buyer was already interested in said mini but seller would get back to buyer #1 with his/her decision. The next day, seller replies that other buyer backed out & the price went up. Not a whole lot, but enough, but still, buyer #1 was dealing off LB Saleboard, where owner didn't state prices may change, etc (not even posted on owners website). Buyer #1 clearly stated they'd come get the mini this week/weekend at the very latest (per sellers request of soon, if sold). The seller is a well known breeder, that buyer #1 thought was reputable. Buyer #1 & hubby are sold on the owner before the mini, but still like said mini (don't really want to pay higher fee as they were already in the process of buying if other party backed out). But when the owner increases price in 1 days time, after Buyer #1 clearly stated they'd buy said mini off internet & come get so soon, they're not so sure on the seller anymore. How would you feel about this & what would you do?

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I'd pass. There's an old saying that "you can always come down on the price, but you can't go up".

For me, it would depend a lot on how much I liked the horse -- knowing that they make horses every day, but that I am pretty picky about what I want to own.

One of my own rules is also that I'm sold on the seller before I am sold on their horse. For me, this is because I count on them to honestly answer questions, not to fudge photos, etc.

I also feel a horse is for sale until it's sold and that the owner has the right to do as they wish until a deal has been agreed upon.

So, I'd weigh how much I like the horse, how honest I think the seller has been, and then decide. One thing I don't ever want to be is sorry I didn't buy something (for not wanting to come off a small extra amount) when I hear so-and-so is the proud new owner.

If you are confident the horse is what you want and that you have accurate information, a small extra price may not matter compared to all the years you could enjoy the animal. Also, while buying / selling horses is an opportunity to build friendships, you don't have to have any sort of a relationship with the seller post sale if you don't want to.

Good luck!

I think I would pass. I do not know seller or buyer I only know that in this market there are great horses to be had at great prices and a huge surplus of them. I personally do not like the thought of the price going up in 24,48 hours and that thought as a buyer and seller makes me uncomfortable since you were already in discussion about the horse not a new inquiry and the horse did not I am guessing go win a National Champion or great show win to increase value in that 24 hours?

Again that is just me and what I would personally do as a buyer

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally in this time and place I wouldnt unless for some reason the horses value increased.

Example of that I mean. The horse placed well in a show there by proving itself a little more. Or maybe the AMHA or AMHR paperwork they have been waiting on forever showed up making the horse now Double Registered.

I would find those appropriate reasons to up a price.

HOWEVER I would never up a price on a horse that someone has already expressed SINCERE interest PRIOR to its increase.

If I was "Buyer #1", I would make an offer to the seller, of the $$$ amount that was told to me originally (or listed in the ad) and if they did not accept that, then I would search elsewhere.

When I first got into the miniature industry I had been to one of the oldest breeders in this state's place on several ocassions and even bought a couple of horses from them. I was looking at a young stallion/colt they had for sale and I was given a price, told the gentleman that I would go home and think about it.

Called back several days later and I said you wanted XXX for the colt, he said no his price is XXX now. I said you quoted my XXX. He said that price was good for that day and that day only and since I did not take it, he had the right to change the price.

Needless to say that was the last horse I purchased from them.

When I quote a price on a horse I immediately write it down in my calendar as most of the time the person is asking the price on several different animals and I could easily get the prices confused if they call back and discuss one particular animal. It helps me to be as honest as I can as some time this old brain just doen't remember as well as it used too.

I don't like games. I don't give my money to people who play games. It just encourages them to continue to play games.

Just because a breeder is "well known" doesn't mean they are ethical. It just means they've bought ad space and had enough National winners to get your attention.

I'd probably just inform them that thank you for their time, the horse really won't suit me afterall or something neutral.

If pressed, I'd probably just flat out say they lost my business because I don't like how they run their business.

Hmmm, obviously the seller quoted a price to Buyer #1 if the buyer was set on purchasing the horse, so if it were ME in the buyer's shoes, I'd pass... *I* think it's pretty raw of the seller if they had quoted a sale price to this buyer and then turned around and raised the price when the buyer had shown interest in purchasing no matter if they horse won another point or what not... While I am one who uses the rule "Horse is not considered sold until paid in full" I'm also one who believes in sticking to my word, if I quoted a price to someone interested in purchasing then that price sticks for that party, I'm not one for games so I of course set time frames for example, "I'll sell you *blank* horse for X amount but decision on purchase and down payment must be in place within a week or horse becomes available to next interest party"

I would pass too. Sorry, but in today's market, its a good deal if someone wants to buy your horse.
default_wacko.png
And if they quoted you a price , told you they'd get back to you regarding the other buyer's decision, then that should be the price. You didn't go home to think about it nor say anything in that regards. I think they are trying to take advantage of you since you were so eager to buy the horse. Or they don't want to sell it to you and have someone else in mind. So they want you to back out. And even if you pay the price they are asking, who's to say they won't have problems/issues with something else??

I would pass. I would understand a seller raising a price of a horse after a good amount of time, reasonably, because it has had more show mileage, training etc.... In a days time just because....no.

I too would pass.

I'm just posting to see how you all would feel about this/ handle this.
Buyer #1 inquired on a mini on the LB Saleboard. Another buyer was already interested in said mini but seller would get back to buyer #1 with his/her decision. The next day, seller replies that other buyer backed out & the price went up. Not a whole lot, but enough, but still, buyer #1 was dealing off LB Saleboard, where owner didn't state prices may change, etc (not even posted on owners website). Buyer #1 clearly stated they'd come get the mini this week/weekend at the very latest (per sellers request of soon, if sold). The seller is a well known breeder, that buyer #1 thought was reputable. Buyer #1 & hubby are sold on the owner before the mini, but still like said mini (don't really want to pay higher fee as they were already in the process of buying if other party backed out). But when the owner increases price in 1 days time, after Buyer #1 clearly stated they'd buy said mini off internet & come get so soon, they're not so sure on the seller anymore. How would you feel about this & what would you do?

That would not give me a good feeling about dealing with that person.

In these times, we've seen (and even bought) some winning horses from the show ring for nominal prices.

Perhaps you should keep looking for a while.

If it is really meant to be, that one will still be there for you in the future.

Thank You all for your replies. I really appreciate the input!

I do really like the mare, and have ever since she was posted for purchase. Very beautiful with a nice pedigree. Then saw her ad on the LB & jumped since I figured I wouldn't have a chance after that. But yeah, the seller gives me an uneasy feeling since they increased the price after the mare was posted at the 1st price (and after we discussed that I wanted her & LB is where I was replying from her ad at XXX amount). Didn't gain any show points, etc. In this case, nothing made a good enough reasoning for it to have gone up- Reasoning was due to the other half not wanting to sell at that price- Seller should have discussed this first BEFORE posting said mare for purchase. Perhaps this too is why the first buyer backed out.

I've never delt with the seller in person, but have talked with the seller a few times over the net & seller always seems short (I've talked to seller for other reasons besides wanting to purchase said mare). Not too personable. Got some great horses with show records, but lost my interest as yes, what else may the seller not be up-front & honest about since they upped the asking price on the mare after just literally 1 day. And no matter how much I like the mare, my husband says NO WAY- he thinks no matter how reputable I think (and I'm sure many of you know the seller is reputable IF I said whom it is), that I'm just going to get jilted & taken advantage of. I too am sold on the seller 1st. And yes, I too go by the saying that "you can always lower an asking price but never go up". I certainly wouldn't raise the asking price on someone while they were dealing on a mini (or anything else)!

But Thank You all again.

Is there any chance the seller just mis-typed? I know sometimes I think one thing, and type another. Just in case there's that chance... Either way, good luck. Hopefully when you find your next horse, you'll be glad it all turned out like it did / will
default_smile.png

When selling ANYTHING I was always taught to ask the most you would want for something, or maybe even higher, because you can always go down, not up.

That said, I paid $1000 over the original price I was quoted on a horse back when I was riding barrel horses. Im still ticked off at the seller, since I had shown interest in buying the horse all the long, heck, I was taking riding lessons on the horse for a year before she went for sale. (they got reduced board in exchange for the horse being used for lessons by the barn) but they had multiple parties interested in the mare, and were offered $1,000 more than their asking price for her by someone else. The way I justified it to my parents was she had just won a state championship, but honestly, if that were to happen to me now, I would pass. When I see NICE NICE horses going for under $2500 at the big broadcasted auctions, it shows me that it does not take multiple thousands of dollars to have a nice horse, and I with the market the way it is, you can get nice horses from private sellers dirt cheap, why give my money to someone who is trying to screw me.

I have always found when it is the right horse for me everything just seems to fall into place. If I am forcing any part of the deal it is usually not meant to be as a buyer or a seller
default_smile.png

I have always found when it is the right horse for me everything just seems to fall into place. If I am forcing any part of the deal it is usually not meant to be as a buyer or a seller
default_smile.png
This has been the case for me as well. There's only been one time where I had a gut feeling to back out of something and tell the seller just keep the money and the horse. I didn't do it and let me tell you -- I sure wish I had now.

I don't care how much I liked the horse. I don't care about who the breeder is. If you were told a price, that is the price as I would remind the seller. If the seller insistes on a higher price I would tell the seller "I hope you get a new buyer soon in this economey".

I have noticed that when shopping for horses especially when I'm at the farm, the sellers will often have a price and then lower it to sell it that day. If you buy this horse today I will.........and usually that price IS ONLY good for that day or a brief period of time, this is BIG FARMS too.

Since we do not know the entire senerio of this sale, it is hard to place judgement, critics on what we should do and how we will act in that situation, what is right and wrong.

Good luck in whatever you do. Remember you can always make an offer!

Latest posts

Back