How to transport show carts on trailer top

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scr

Reaction score
I have a small, CM miniature horse trailer - it's probalby 12 feet long, maybe 14 feet long. Anyway, it does not have a rack on top right now - we've carried two show carts in the back of my pickup (standing shafts up) and had horses in the back of the trailer and we've used the front to carry show "stuff" (the trailer does not have a tack compartment.

But, our little show group has expanded and now we need the entire inside of the trailer for horses. I am thinking of getting a camper top for the back of the truck and that is where the show "stuff" will go. We will need to carry THREE show carts which will not fit in the back of my truck bed anyway - we've tried and you can't shut the tailgate. So, I was thinking of getting a rack put on top of my trailer but I have questions.

First, how many carts would probably fit on a 12-14 foot trailer rack? And, the biggest most important question is HOW do you get the carts up and down easily????? I"ve seen some guys man handle them up and down at a show from a big trailer but it's just 2-3 girls traveling together and we do not have the strength to do that. I was thinking of a ramp of sorts but others say that might be too steep to go up and down. I've heard of people having "hoists" but I don't know how they work or who to ask about installing them.

I'd love to know what others have done and the ease of use of your method. Thanks!

Polly

I have a friend who makes lightweight ramps........aluminum they are wonderful.........

We use to carry two carts on the inside of our trailer over the horses heads. Ran some chains through water hose to hold the shafts. Would this work?................... Also when we bought our trailer this summer the salesman threw in a cart carrier that you attach to the back of the trailer doors to haul a cart (only takes care of one cart though).

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, good idea to carry them on the inside except this is a mini size trailer so it's only slightly taller than 5 feet. So, not enough room.

Hey, the person whose friend makes the aluminum ramps....where are they located? What kind of person/company would I contact to find something similar around here? A trailer dealer?

Polly

I would love to see a picture or drawing of how the ramps worked or were positioned with the trailer. Excellent question, I have been pondering over this one myself.

Try looking at boat supply companys for car top loaders. its a hand cranked loader . if used for a cart you would probably have to turn it up side down. but Ive seen a 100 lb lady load a 150 lb boat on top of a chev van by her self. so I know it can work. good luck DR.

Polly where are you located? My husband makes all kinds of things like this but we are in the Northwest.

I'm in Georgia so I guess getting your husband to make me a ramp won't work very well
default_wink.png
:

Anyone know of someone around Atlanta?

Here's how Danny gets our cart to the top of our hauler:

He ties long ropes to the cart, climbs to the top of the hauler, and reels it in, letting the cart wheels roll up the side of the hauler. He then secures it with bungee cords.

Polly you could have a welder to fix a ladder on the side of your trailer and if it doesn't already have them, it would need a rack on top also.

I have also seen people install 2 x 4's inside their regular height trailers and then make a shelf over the horses backs for the carts. This might not work with a mini trailer though.

We haul our carts on top of a trailer about the size you are talking about. You must have a rack put on it. So far we are just lifting the carts. It is not too hard with two on the ground and one person on the trailer. We are looking into other ways of doing it though. We found that ramps, in order not to be too steep are too long to fit on top of the trailer, so are looking toward some that might slide out and lock in place. We also know soneone who put a wench system on the front of the rack and just pulls them up that way. I have found though, that if you can get them up at home we usually can easily find a "a few good men" that are willing to help put them up after a show.

Also, if you do this NEVER use bungee cords to tie them down. We used bungee when we first started. ( 4 per cart) and once we got caught in a bad storm with lots of wind and all 8 bungees snapped and the carts went flying. Get nylon straps. The best kind are from a boat supply as those chords don't streatch at all in wet weather. We tie each wheel and the shafts down. We usually haul two carts, but have occasionally put a third or a bale or two of hay.

B Harris

Also, if you do this NEVER use bungee cords to tie them down. We used bungee when we first started. ( 4 per cart) and once we got caught in a bad storm with lots of wind and all 8 bungees snapped and the carts went flying. Get nylon straps. The best kind are from a boat supply as those chords don't streatch at all in wet weather. We tie each wheel and the shafts down. We usually haul two carts, but have occasionally put a third or a bale or two of hay.
Thank you for the advice.

Latest posts

Back