How to make a miniture mad...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kellie in OR

Reaction score
I let the boys get too fat this spring, no way I am letting that sneak up on me again! So with the last flush of grass that the fall showers brought, I decided to get the boys grazing muzzles.They are none too happy, in fact they are PO'd. They spend the first 30 to 40 minutes of turnout terrorizing each other like wild stallions. After that they settle down and work at grazing through the little hole on the bottom of the muzzle. Less eating + more playing = losing weight! The only thing I have to worry about now is Billy falling and hurting himself, and Billy standing on top of Hondo and hurting him. Luckily Bill is shaped like and egg and just rolls when he goes down, and he is smaller than Hondo. Luckily Hondo does not show any intention of standing on Bill! These boys are something else!!!

Here is a video and pictures of the Gellions.

http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b194/kra...nt=MVI_3113.flv

IMG_3104.jpg

IMG_3096.jpg

IMG_3098.jpg

But I don't see any grass? They are making fun of each other.
default_risa_suelos.gif

Oh, cute! They look rambunctious! Are you happy with your grazing muzzles? What brand and where did you get them?

Oooohh, it's so FRUSTRATING when you can't even bite the other guy!!
default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
Geez man, you're mean! *LOL*

Leia

yesterday I put a muzzle on my 30 year old donkey for the first time . He is having dominant "issues " and is biting my new filly on the neck. If he keeps it up he will be sporting one for a very long time. he is very mad about the whole situation. But your two look pretty cute in their muzzle .

I think we have about the same sort of muzzles here in Holland.

My Welsh mare is wearing one and she was mad for about 5 minutes I guess, then she started to figuring out how to get to the grass through that micro hole LOL

Long grass is a problem cause she flattens that with the muzzle, they can only pick the shorter grass.

When I first got the grazing muzzles they walked around trying different techniques to get the grass through the tiny hole. Billy does a fast up and down chicken pecking method, and Hondo sweeps his head slowly from side to side. When a little nibble does get it in, they look so surprised and happy as they close their eyes and chew....then the treasure hunt is back on. So they have figured how that they can get some grass, but for whatever reason the muzzles trigger then to play hard. You can hear their teeth chomping inside the muzzles. The funny thing is that without the muzzles on they only play 1/2 this hard for about 1/2 as long. Go figure!

Right now there is not a lot of grass, especially under the trees where the pictures where taken. But out in the open there is more, enough to make their stools loose and green with 2 hours of muzzle-less grazing. The grass here in Oregon's Willamette valley is very high in sugars in the fall, plus easy keeper horses cortisal levels naturally go up this time of year to prepare for winter starvation. Since no one at my place has ever starved in spite of the time of year, I have to work hard to keep them from getting too heavy. Plus it is just entertaining to watch the muzzle bopping game.

Latest posts

Back