How to get them used to getting thier hoofs picked?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoey829

Reaction score
I have a boared who boards a yearling. Well, she got sick and I told her I would spend time with the horse. Well, I got her to lead great takes the halter and stands. But the second I go down slowly to the hoof she pulls back. I cant even make it pass her knee. From day one I play with thier hoofs and it was never a problem. With my mares I guess I just lucked out and never had a major problem. I just want her feet to be clean and trimmed. They have been trimmed before but it was a struggle. I want it to be a good experience for the next visit.

Is this a mini?

We handle ours from day one and usually they are pretty good about anything after the initial upset over a new experience.

If one of the little ones are quite upset I use a "clip" from the hardware store and clip their nose. Take the nose between your fingers and put the clip on.

Just give the little one 20 or 30 seconds for them to "get used to the clip" and then you can go ahead and do anything you want.

I have various sized clips for the weanlings to the mares.

When purchasing the clips I always try it on my thumb to see how much pressure there is.

I was trimming for a man who uses the nose clips and he had purchased a metal clip and taken the "teeth" off of it. Looked a little too severe for me.

I use the plastic clips that have a flat piece of plastic where they close.

If this isn't clear, p.m. me.

Lots of other people use the clips and they have put pictures on the forum in the past.

It is a mini an very sweet. Just not used to her feet beeing touched and I hate to stress her out. She came such a long way!!

I would just keep working at this--keep running your hand down the leg & rubbing the leg--the forearm, the knee, and as you keep doing this you will surely be able to start going lower on the leg. It won't happen all in one day, or even 2 or 3 days but after a week or two there should be a big improvement. When you get to picking up the feet there will probably be a bit of a struggle, because the horse will almost certainly try to take the foot away. Once I'm at that point I try to hang onto the foot as long as possible--even if I don't get to clean it the first time I pick it up, I'll hang onto it for a bit. A few times of that and the horse will usually give in & let me pick out the hoof.

My homebreds are all handled early on so are no problem when it comes to having their feet cleaned and trimmed, but over the years I've gotten a few older ones that hadn't had their feet handled much or any. It doesn't take long for them to come around with the handling described above.

Don't stress over this yearling not having her feet picked out for a couple of weeks, if it takes that long, she'll be okay!

If the yearling will stand tied, this might take 2 people at first.

take your time, try to remove your hand before they move their feet. so start up higher and be patient.

Tied, try a treat in a bucket, talking softly.

Or have someone else do tea touch which is small circles with your fingers, around the nect and talk softly.

or the clip.

Good luck
default_saludando.gif

She acts like we are going to try and eat her. The fear in her eyes! I dont want to betray her trust. I finally got her to lead and stand.

My farrier told me to grab the foot ussing the same method as above but not to release until the horse stops resisting, once they stop resisting, let go and repeat.

Definitely takes some time but works.

The "clip" won't stress her out. What I did with my colt was put the clip on and do one foot. I then start the next foot and if he starts jumping around I ask him if he wants the clip. If he doesn't settle down I reclip his lip. I finish the next foot and take the clip off. And go through it all on the next foot. And the next. He has learned that if he is good he doesn't get the clip. The cilp works on presure points and is very effictive.

I agree with the rest, just start out slowly and work your way down talking softly. If you need to take her/his mind off moving I just grab their lip in a pinch hold...no need for clips or such. Once she will stand still, let go and try it again. Repeat as often as needed for her to just stand and let you rub her leg without moving. Then move onto the hoofs. Worked for me with my full size foals! I will definitely use it when my mini foal arrives in the spring too!
default_yes.gif
Good luck and be patient
default_biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
How about handling the legs then the feet while eating. Nothing like a head in the feed bucket to make one forget about the feet. Also I think that Clinton Andersen and Parelli have some techniques on spook training. Long line, give them room so they don't feel claustrophobic etc. Then begin introduction to "things". Takes time to do it right, don't rush or scare, but it is part of learning respect too. Those "give" exercises on halter training can transfer to help with other issues in other places. Have you seen that exercise Parelli does with getting a horse used to water from a hose, same principle, long line, give them room, and keep repeating until they are ok with it, move forward, back away, etc... I have used pool noodles, a whip gently stroked, a crop with a plastic bag tied on it etc... to make my boys comfortable with things around their legs and feet. You can lead them around things on the ground, Lay a lead rope on the ground and lead over it. You'd be surprized how many take a second look at that in the beginning. One of my boys actually jumped it. You can back up to where your baby is comfortable so you can praise for successes, then move on down the leg slowly, back up to where you have success etc. Don't worry if it takes time...just don't quit. Also once you get to the point where you are picking up the foot, keep it very low and don't let go, place it on the ground. Some babies just get scared balancing on three legs. Some I swear are ticklish...

PS. I do use treats too. My favorite are those vanilla flax seed treats that are easy to break up in small bites for praise. I typically treat into a feed bucket or in the rack rather than let them take from my hands unless we are doing bit training. Best wishes. Keep us posted on the progress.

Last year we had a two year old shetland stallion that would not let us below his knees. It took about two weeks, every time I got near him, every time, I would start at his back and scritch him all over and gradually move down his legs, each one, until he would get antsy. Then stop. Over time he would let me go all the way down and I could pick up his feet. He love the scritching so much he did not want me to stop. Every time he got antsy I would stop and he would not get anymore scritching until the next time I tried. He did not want me to quit so he would try to take it a little longer. After he let me have his feet, I put it back down and scritched all the way back up his leg and across his back. Lots of scritching time! This is what has worked for me.

I agree with all that has been said. It is a matter of TRUST and that takes time. I have to work with my horses by myself so one of the first things that I've taught them is to stand in the cross ties. I start there even if just for a few minutes while I brush them and give them lots of attention (which mine seem to just LOVE attention). After the cross ties present no problem, I work on other issues like the feet being handled. As described start with going down the legs as far as they will let you without a protest. When you get to the problem area then it's a matter of timing. You work down to the "bad" area and let go before there is a problem and start over. Eventually you'll be able to go all the way to the foot and pick it up.

I've worked with all ages and it seems to work. My old guy was 15 when we started while I've also started at age 1 1/2 yr and 4 1/2 months. They all will now pick up their feet (don't try to go too high) and when I put one down they sometimes even lift the next one before I'm there.

I agree, lots of patience and just work at gaining her trust daily. You might try by just starting out really giving her a good grooming that feels good, and using a soft brush on her legs. Then at the end, try picking them up.

You may need to spend several minutes on one.... start with the left front and just work on it til she is comfortable with it.... If you have keep trying 20 times, then do so. I talk to mine quietly too and tell them how good they are, etc.. and it seems the calmness and the voice do a lot to soothe them too. They learn that everything is 'ok'.

Maybe trying to just get her to let you brush/groom/handle her legs first, for a few days without trying to pick them up yet, til she gets over her fear... and then go from there. Lots of pets, rubbing, rewarding - even if she doesnt do fantastic- if ANYthing is an improvement. Or even if you both get through the lesson in one piece, LOL. I always finish up with something they like and are comfortable with so they end on a good note and are happy.

Personally, even with the little ones, I do NOT like getting near their feet if they are going to kick or throw a big fit. I have had plenty of unhandled horses of various sizes and no, it's not worth getting hurt!

I wouldn't use a twitch in this situation, personally... but here is my method:

Get a nice soft/thick leadrope, and loop it around the leg. You can get somewhat creative with this if the horse REALLY is shy to handle, by letting it step over the loop on the ground and then picking up the slack.

Use the rope in the crook behind the pastern (under the fetlock) to pull up the leg, or at least put some pressure on the leg so the horse picks it up. You can hold the leg up with the rope if needed. A cane also works for this method of desensitization. If the horse kicks and panics about the rope or cane, YOU don't risk getting hurt. I prefer the rope because the horse cannot get away from it, the rope stays around the leg until the horse relaxes and you praise it. Don't forget to praise if the horse even thinks about accepting this situation.

I have used this method to great success. Once the horse picks up the leg no problem with the rope, then it's not hard at all for the horse to transition to having YOU pick it up when you put pressure on the leg to ask for it.

Good luck,

Andrea

You've been given some great advice! Here's what worked for me.

I had this problem and I would go in each nite at feeding and handle his legs. Many times he'd back away I'd stay calm by the feed/hay bucket and when he'd come back up and start to eat I'd touch his legs again, then rub, then brush, then move on to picking them up. It didn't take long at all for him to realize ~it ain't so bad.

Now he thinks its normal to get frisked before he can eat in peace.
default_laugh.png

I'd usually start petting him on the neck or shoulder and work my way down the leg. Once he's was comfortable with the front legs I'd work my way to the back ones. I think it helped him to always start petting/brushing somewhere he's comfortable with and work your way down to the legs.

Good luck

Quote: I have a boared who boards a yearling

If I read this right this little filly belongs to someone else. Do you know how this little girl has been handled all along?

This could be a case of memory of a bad situation. In that case trust is more important than anything else. This little girl needs to trust that you won't do battle with her first and foremost.

Some horses have more sensitive skin and nerves than other horses just like some people are more sensitive to touch than others. Before I would clip a lip I would try to earn their trust. I totally agree with scritching and brushing and rubbing and gentle touches and good girls and treats in this situation. My Koda has come along way with lots of love, patience and he adores just hearing his favorite words "Good Boy Koda". Spend as much time as you can working with her speaking to her constantly in a soothing voice. Try not to approach it quickly and be patient. She will come around but it can take time. If she isn't real jumpy when you are touching other parts of her body maybe you can hang a soft lead rope over her back and let it gently and slow down the opposite side until it touches her leg then slow pull it back up, then back down and let it touch and pull back up slowly. But then I totally believe in taking the time and doing alot of talking. Horses seem to like to hear the human voice and will listen intently to what we say. It calms them just the same as having a radio playing soft music in the barn will calm the barn. My horses prefer country western of course.

One reason its important to go slow is that I presume someday someone will want to touch this girls legs with clippers and slow and calm will prepare for that time.

Hope it goes well for you.

Dangling the lead rope is a great idea for calming the leg tickles I would ditto trying that. I do lead rope dangles in early driving training so they will be used to the lines etc. I also agree it is about trust and handling frequently. I have seen some that are ok with objects like pool noodles touching their legs and were more wary of the human hand touching the legs. I like to talk to them too, I swear our one boy speaks english. He has a big ego so we always work a little slower with him and always stay in his comfort zone. Amazing how far in training he has come as a result of taking extra time. He simply loves his training sessions. My younger boy was always great about handling his legs due to early handling by his breeder. I didn't notice until summer he didn't like being sprayed with fly spray on his legs. It was as if I was shooting flames out of the sprayer, he would jump all 4 feet off the ground. I filled a sprayer with water and we sprayed everything for weeks. Around his feet, the dirt, the paddock etc. He started to see spraying as something boring, then I moved toward his feet again and by this time he said who cares, just that boring sprayer. All horses are different so find out what this horse likes alot and do that as a reward and move forward steady but with confidence. Even if it isn't your horse, if you have to handle her it will be safer for you if she can get comfortable with you handling. Best wishes.

I've never had one so bad to the point were this wouldnt work for me. I normally tie them in the stall if they are one to give trouble that way they are in a smaller area if they act up and that keeps them a bit more relaxed i think. Most i can just tie in the isle though, normally when im training them to tie i start them in the stall too..that way if they get loose or break a shank they cant really go anywhere, also, if while im handing their feet if they rear up and snap the shank they also cant go anywhere. But, i pick up their foot after rubbing their forearm and down the leg and will pick the leg up..if they fight i just hold it until they stop fighting me and let me keep it where i have it for 5 or 10 seconds then I put it down and they get a peppermint treat. Repeat repeat repeat...it works for ME....and it works FAST and it is SIMPLE
default_smile.png

I normally pick out hooves whenever i bring them into the barn for whatever reason. I have a few that are on MTG rutines once a week, i have some i just groom once a week (Sheen, detangle mane/tails..whatever). Only time i do the broodmares is when they get trimmed. I have one gelding here, that i can tie him and handle his feet all day long and he not move a hair, but he will not tollerate our farrier, to the point where now i just have the farrier out to trim him when i clip him (takes a shot of Dormasedan).

Back