How to collect urine for pregnancy test?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cody7489

Reaction score
I was thinking about trying out a urine pregnancy test, but how the heck do you collect the pee? I've heard of putting a plastic bag tied to her tail, but how does it really work? And, how long should I wait after breeding to get the best results?

BreezeRt.JPG

You generally wait with a cup on a stick ;)

Takes a long time to wait for the non-invasive tests. And they aren't THAT accurate either. Best way is palpation/ultrasound, that can be as early as 12 days post-ovulation. The tests can take anywhere from 30 to 180 days.

Depends on the mare and the test. I have one that will never ever pee in front of me,she's my alpha mare, so I duct tape a sanitary napkin just below her vulva and leave it for a few hours. This method works perfect for that mare. Then I have ones that ALWAYS pee when I come into the barn in the morning, so I just use a syringe to suck up the pee off the barn floor immediately. That works great for those mares. And I have one that MUST pee in a clean stall when she first gets in it. Her I can collect in a cup as I am right there when she goes in.

As to when, if it is a weefoal38 test, I wait until day 50. for a weefoal120 I like to wait until day 124 or so. If you have the patience I would wait and do the 120 day test as I find it has much less false negative results than the 38 day test.

Hope this helps some.

amanda

I wondered how yall did that cuz i had no idea. I always took my big horses to vet and had the vet check and do ultrasound to find out. Strips would be easier and less costly but never knew how in the world you got the pee. Im glad i wasnt the only one thinking HOW DID YOU DO THAT!

Yep, stick with a styrofoam cup. Mine are really easy to collect; they are stalled at dinner/night and the first thing they do when they get in their stalls is have a pee. The longest I've had to wait is 5 minutes. I've always had 100% accurate results with both the WeeFoal 38 and the 120.

Last edited by a moderator:
For any sort of urine test I do the old cup-on-a-stick. My vet is impressed with the speed I can get samples and thinks I should be a drug tester, but I don't think it's the job for me...

I can just picture you all trailing behind with a stick on a cup...lol...if I did that here,my neighbors would be lined up across the street!!! I really cant think of an easier way besides stalling,them.mine just wont pee in the stalls..they hold it..lol
default_smile.png

Guess I am really brave! I collect it in a clean paper cup, but I hold the cup in my hand. Maybe my mares just have good aim, I have never gotten any on my yet! And I too highly recommend WEE Foal either one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I collect in a clean wide mouth mason jar directly from the stream. I have a friend who uses paper towels taped to her bum.
default_smile.png

I agree wee foal 120 is much more reliable
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back