How to add Alfalfa Pellets & Probios to feeding program

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Wolf Ranch

Reaction score
Okay this is for my hardkeeper TWH cross.....since my friends on here have suggested alfalfa pellets, I went to the feed store and bought some today, and while I was there I got a tube of the Probios paste. I've fed alfalfa pellets before but had a mini mare choke on them twice (once dry, and one time soaked completely) so I quit with them as I was afraid to have another choke episode.

So my main question is, since I am feeding him 4 pounds Strategy AM and PM (I said 3 lbs per feeding on my other post but decided to up it a bit) how many pounds of alfalfa pellets should I feed him per meal? He won't eat them soaked (anything soaked for that matter) so is feeding them dry okay? I was thinking 1 pound AM and 1 pound PM - should that add the calories I need or should I do 3 lbs strategy and 2 lbs alfalfa pellets AM and PM?

About the probios......I've never used this paste before so I am wondering.....on the directions it said to give 15gm per adult horse and there are 32 gm in the tube. Should I give him half of the tube today and the other half tomorrow (or a week later) or should I give it all to him today? I was thinking that it should help get good bacteria in his gut to aid digestion so hopefully this will put a pep in the "gaining weight" crusade I am going on with him LOL.

And yes, I am still giving him a tablespoon of body builder twice per day as well!

THANKS SO MUCH to everyone here on the forum, you have been a huge help, and Shadow appreciates the help!

MOST horses dont choke on pellets. With introducing any new feed, do it slowly over a course of a few days. I have only had one full sized horse over the years that could not eat pellets. Try a handful and see how he does. Perhaps AFTER feeding his regular meal of hay or whatever he gets so he is not scarfing them up and trying to eat too much at once. Once he is used to them, you can add them in the regular feed time.

Back