How much sun

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sterling

Reaction score
Wow we've been pretty mild so far this winter and today is no exception. We're up in the 60's....I'll take that thank you! :bgrin Anyway it gets you in the mood for planning gardens and all......after my pumpkin fiasco, I checked outside and found that the squirrels did'nt eat all the seeds...so I'm planning to take some more "black gold" :xkngt: and dump it over in the same mix. But what I was wondering I'm hoping to do some tomatoes this time in the ground this year...the year before I tried it in my wooden barrell planter and the bees got to them so that fizzled out. How much sun do they need? I have a spot thats fenced in...used to be an old chicken coop, but it sits on the east side of the property where it gets plenty of sun in the morning but mostly shade in the aftrnoons after say 12:00 noon. Im thinking it would do well because the soil is pretty worked up, but not so sure about the sun and lighting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tomatoes need a good day's worth of sun. My tomato plants that I planted last summer are still giving me tomatoes!!! We have not had a frost yet here in southern CA. Usually by December I have pulled out all the plants but this year I tried cutting them down and they have come back with a second crop. For fertilizing, tomatoes love chicken manure :bgrin

this year I tried cutting them down and they have come back with a second crop
Mine, too! We've had a mild winter so far, and my tomato plants and strawberries both are thriving!!!

See, Sterling...another reason for you to come back to California! :lol:

Liz R.

Ok then it looks like I'll be making the tomatoe garden in the chicken coop that sits towards the side of the house which gets more of the sun during the day. Now Liz, you know the temptation is pretty high as far as going back to CA goes!! :bgrin
default_yes.gif
: Our tomatoes are pretty much done by the time Oct. gets here.

Last edited by a moderator:
yep more sun is needed. I sure miss outside grown tomatoes, I have to plant mine in a green house at this end of California and to me the taste is just not that same as "down south" tomatoes

Latest posts

Back