How much is hay going for this year compaired to last?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MindyLee

Reaction score
In and around Lapeer, Michigan, I know that I have to buy hay for my minis and last fall it was going for aprox $3.75-$7.00 around here. This year Im seeing 1st cutting going for $3.50 for good orchard/afalfa mix. SO it looks like it's pretty well priced around here for now.

How about where you live???

N.W. Ohio we just paid $2.50 cents for alfalfa / orchard grass mix hay straight out of the field, we loaded it ourselves. It will be $3.50 after he has it in the barn, the quality of hay is good and we cannot complain about the price
default_smile.png
:)

Edited to add - Last year we paid $2.75 - $3.50 per bale being around 50-60 pounds of alfalfa orchard grass mix hay so i expect it to be just about the same this year..

Last edited by a moderator:
We're going with the same guy we found last year, quoted us $3.50 again so same price for alfalfa/orchard grass

I don't think hay prices have changed here since last summer. Buy from Agaway your going to be paying about $8 a bale of second cutting. Buy it local your going anywhere from 4-6 second cutting, but also your not getting much for 4. I buy from a friend so I only pay 4-5 a bale. But the bales are large and heavy. They are worth that price.

I have been getting 900 lb round bales of really good timothy for 45.00. I was wondering if that is good? They eat all of this hay. My minis leave any hay that is even a little strawy and won't touch it. I found this guy last year and he makes the best hay. The feeder is always clean not a shread left.

I have been getting 900 lb round bales of really good timothy for 45.00. I was wondering if that is good? They eat all of this hay. My minis leave any hay that is even a little strawy and won't touch it. I found this guy last year and he makes the best hay. The feeder is always clean not a shread left.
That's about $100/ton, so a very good price, depending on your area. I know many that would kill for that kind of price for good hay, and if your minis eat every last scrap, then it must be pretty good. [That would be about an average price around here for a ton of hay.]

I just picked up about a ton of small squares for $80/ton (mostly grass, but 10 bales were mostly alfalfa), I picked out of the field, he charges $90/ton if he's already stacked it. I need a lot more grass hay, but small squares are hard to come by around here, so I'm back to searching for more small squares. [i already got pretty much all the grass he's going to have this season, but he'll let me know if he gets more.]

First cutting-$2.00/bale

Second cutting-$2.75/bale

Same hay guy, same $$ as last year
default_smile.png

And the second cutting , the horses love with alfalfa/clover mixed in

last year we paid 40 for 1100 lb rounds this year it will be around 100 for the same if not more because of lack of rain since last year and no first crop coming of which should have been in the next 2 weeks...farmers are hurting big time which includes all crops not just hay. But we have enough from last year to see us through till maybe next March..bad start to the year for a lot of livestock right now once last years hay is gone unless there's a week of solid rain and at least the pastures can recover from being burned out for the summer...l live in one of the declared disaster areas first time since we moved here 17 years ago....

Lets see I buy 1ton round bales for $85 thats T/A mix, and if I have to buy square bales of coastal hay its $10 a bale and the bales are 30-50lbs depending on where I get them

I am glad to hear there are parts of the country that HAVE hay. It has rained so much here that no one has been able to hay. And no end in sight.....

I just payed 10.85 for a 62 lb bale of timothy/alfalfa mix Canadian hay. The price is .17 lb. A half ton cost me $217.

We have a little over ten acres of hay field ourselves, but no equipment so we have to pay $1 a bale for someone to bring their equipment, cut and bale it. I really like the hay in our field as it is a mixture of clover, orchard grass, and brome. It is also great for our rabbits. We still have to buy hay though. Well, a guy came by the other day offering us a bunch at $1.5 a bale because he didn't have extra storage room for it. I jumped on that of course! They even delivered and stacked it! Last year I was having to buy bales at more than full price all winter long. This year we should be all set, I am so glad!
default_smile.png

On average however grass mix hay is about $3 a bale and alfalfa mix is about $4 a bale. Those are in the field prices, alfalfa mix hay in the barn is about $4.50 to $6. Needless to say I am very excited about how much we will save this year!

Reading this I am so envious of what some of you pay for hay!!!!!
default_new_shocked.gif

For good, fresh 2nd cut grass hay (I think between 50-60 lb. bale) we pay $9.50 a bale. Luckily we only have two horses, otherwise I would certainly switch!
default_no.gif

Rebecca

Reading this I am so envious of what some of you pay for hay!!!!!
default_new_shocked.gif
For good, fresh 2nd cut grass hay (I think between 50-60 lb. bale) we pay $9.50 a bale. Luckily we only have two horses, otherwise I would certainly switch!
default_no.gif

Rebecca

At that price, we would probably have to own only two as well.
default_sad.png

The funny thing about the guy with the 1.5 hay. I had worked all night the night before, I work at home, but still up until almost four am really messes up your schedule. I had taken a nap the next afternoon and told my daughter not to wake me up for anyone. Glad she was smart enough to know to wake me up when someone came offering hundred of bales of hay at $1.50 a bale!
default_smile.png

In and around Lapeer, Michigan, I know that I have to buy hay for my minis and last fall it was going for aprox $3.75-$7.00 around here. This year Im seeing 1st cutting going for $3.50 for good orchard/afalfa mix. SO it looks like it's pretty well priced around here for now.
How about where you live???
I am paying the same price as I did last year for excellent pure grass hay out of the field, $6.50. I always buy from the same person. The quality is very good and my horses thrive on it.

Southern Colorado

We are going to have a surplus of hay again this year due to so many people selling out their horses and cattle.

The prices for orchard grass will be $4.50 a bail or less. Fescue will be about $2.50 - $3.50. Alfalfa $5.50. round bails of fescue mix $40.00

I know that straight grass in our area is about $3-$4 per bale

Mix or straight alfalfa......well I told my husband I didn't even want to know what he paid. I knew I'd fall over.
default_unsure.png

Ok I'll edit this to say that compared to some I see, it isn't a lot but I guess everything is relative. It is what you're used to.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back