How many of you don't have

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am fortunate in that I have excellent health insurance. We pay around $100 per month for medical, dental, vision and prescription drug coverage. It covers all the "alternative" therapies, too. It is the main reason I stay at my corporate job even though I'd love to start my own business. In time I will. I can only imagine how scary it must be not to have health insurance, and for that reason I stay with my company.

I heard a woman interviewed on a financial show I listen to (Bob Brinker--Jill, you probably have heard of him? BobBrinker.com). She is a Harvard Business School professor and her name is Regina Herzlinger. She has a book out called Who Killed Health Care? that is on my to-read list. IMHO, she has the most sane proposal for health reform in this country that I have heard to date. It sounds middle-of-the-road and like it might actually be a feasible place to start. Here's a little about her and the book:

"One of the nation's most respected health care analysts, Regina Herzlinger exposes the motives and methods of those who have crippled America's health care system-figures in the insurance, hospital, employment, governmental, and academic sectors. She proves how our current system, which is organized around payers and providers rather than the needs of its users, is dangerously eroding patient welfare and is pushing costs out of the reach of millions."

"Who Killed Health Care? then outlines Herzlinger's bold new plan for a consumer-driven system that will deliver affordable, high-quality care to everyone. By putting insurance money in the hands of patients, removing the middleman in the doctor-patient relationship, and giving employers cost relief, consumers and physicians will be empowered to make the system work the way it should. Herzlinger describes in precise detail how her innovative program will provide:

-Smaller, disease-focused medical facilities that provide complete care for patients

-A national system of medical records that provides privacy with confidential access by approved practitioners

-Mandatory performance evaluations of all hospitals and all other medical organizations

-Mandatory health insurance with subsidies for those who cannot afford it

I have ordered the book and am anxious to read what else she says. Things definitely have to change in this country. One really good place to start would be securing our borders. Living near Los Angeles we see the severe effects of illegals clogging our emergency rooms and forcing closure of numerous hospitals, all at the expense of legal citizens. I would much rather see our country taking care of law-abiding citizens before felons (yes, it's a felony to come here illegally). Nothing is free. We currently pay in the form of taxes and outrageous insurance premiums. The people who go to the emergency room and can't pay are being paid for by those of us with insurance--whether we pay the premium or our company does.

FoRebel, why would your insurance company not pay for your maternity/delivery? Have you gone through an appeals process? Sounds like you have 30,000 reasons to try that route. That does not seem correct. Insurance companies always try to get anyone else to pay before they will. (Has anyone ever heard of the Rawlings Company? They send a letter any time we have treatment for something they think could be an injury that is someone else's fault. Ridiculous!)

Thank you for that information on Regina Herzlinger. I will be looking into her book. From what is outlined, it sounds like she has some excellent ideas.

What I really think is this country, and not just when it comes to health care, needs to be run like a business in many ways. (I'm really hopeful about a particular candidate, Mitt Romney).

I'll be sharing this book with my dad as well! And probably any clients who will listen (they are fairly like minded).

Thanks for the info on the book. Sounds like some valuable information for all to consider. I have heard a little about Romneys health care thoughts but want to learn more. He definitely has shown to be a good business man. I also agree that illegals are creating a lot of problems for our hospitals and doctors. We are going to be even more distressed when we find hospital doors closed!! Mary

I was raised in Massachusetts and have many clients in the state and I know firsthand how the state is as I live next door in NH. I would not vote for Romney as he is nothing but a slick used car salesman. Remember the "big dig" I do and I still can't get through Boston to get to the south shore on via 93. Hmmn, not only that they have the worst roads I have ever driven and I drive in Mass A LOT. They have major potholes on the main highways one of which flipped over a truck and trailer killing the horse. Took out my brother-in laws transmission on his car on another one. As for the Mass health care system YOU ARE REQUIRED to purchase insurance whether or not you can afford it and if you don't you will be fined! I am a republican and I can honestly say I would not vote for the man even if he made the nomination. He passed the "big dig" buck on to his Lt Governor and let her take the heat, funny how people forget things like that especially when someone died because of it. What he may say is NOT what he may DO.

I am glad you posted your opinion of Romney because I do like to hear all sides. I would guess he may want to have a health insurance plan as Mass. I do want to learn more about it and him before making any decisions. Would be good if everyone had health coverage and did pay something for it. Lots to learn yet, here. Mary

I was raised in Massachusetts and have many clients in the state and I know firsthand how the state is as I live next door in NH. I would not vote for Romney as he is nothing but a slick used car salesman. Remember the "big dig" I do and I still can't get through Boston to get to the south shore on via 93. Hmmn, not only that they have the worst roads I have ever driven and I drive in Mass A LOT. They have major potholes on the main highways one of which flipped over a truck and trailer killing the horse. Took out my brother-in laws transmission on his car on another one. As for the Mass health care system YOU ARE REQUIRED to purchase insurance whether or not you can afford it and if you don't you will be fined! I am a republican and I can honestly say I would not vote for the man even if he made the nomination. He passed the "big dig" buck on to his Lt Governor and let her take the heat, funny how people forget things like that especially when someone died because of it. What he may say is NOT what he may DO.

I agree everyone SHOULD have access to health care but understand there are people who do not have the money to pay for it that will be charged for it [the working poor]. Like I said you are required to have insurance in MA and even though it may be required there will still be people not insured. So what happens then you are fined because you don't have the money to pay? Not everyone can buy insurance in blocks like larger companies do so the premium goes up way higher if you are self employed. The rates vary so much what you may pay might be reasonable but what someone else may pay may be very different. If you knew what you have to pay in NH you would be appalled and MA is cheaper.

Linda,

default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
!

Bonnie

FoRebel, why would your insurance company not pay for your maternity/delivery? Have you gone through an appeals process? Sounds like you have 30,000 reasons to try that route. That does not seem correct. Insurance companies always try to get anyone else to pay before they will.
They say that we've met the annual maximum payout, but we know that we haven't. Hubby is calling them to figure out what the heck is going on. If they aren't going to pay I am going to call the MA worker that I've worked with previously to see about getting some kind of catastrophic coverage or some sort of help from the state.

Latest posts

Back