How many days have mares been foaling?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniMoment

Reaction score
Hi,

Just wondering if I could take a brief poll and see how many days everyone's foals are arriving at.

The general concensus seems to be, from the people I've spoken with lately, that the mares are holding out longer this year (and if seasoned mares, they are taken longer than they normally foal).

So for those of you who have foals on the ground, I would love to know the following:

1. # days the mare carried before foaling and

2. whether the mare was a maiden or seasoned mare and

3. if this was a seasoned mare, was this foaling later than she's foaled in the past?

My mares have not come in yet, so just wondering.

Thank you so much!

I've heard a few other people say that too, Mine hasnt foaled yet either, she is at 335 today and a maiden.

343 for my mare this year. I believe it has more to do with WHEN they are foaling than anything else.

This mare has gone 330 and below every year but this, but the earliest she was ever due previously was April (mid-late).

She was not a maiden, and I'm sure of the dates. She was due Jan. 31, but went over 7 days (I went w/336 as a gestation length for her).

I am guessing you will find that as the due dates are nearer the longest day of the year, the shorter the gestations will be. This mare went 326 on her last pregnancy, which delivered on June 22 of 2004.

Liz M.

Nootka that is very interesting but makes sense that they would foal less quickly earlier in the year when it is not as warm and there is less growth in the grass.

One maiden mare 326 days, another maiden mare coming curretly at 317

And then there's one of my maiden mares that throws all the theories out the window by having a filly at 360 days on June 10, 2004! Of course, this same mare is late once again this year.
default_wacko.png
:

Both of mine that have already foaled this year did so in a shorter time than last year. The one that foaled tonight was 10 days early and the first one was abt 2 weeks early.

Seasoned mare - 329 days

Maidens - 334 & 336 days

We've routinely used 340 days as our foaling date. The seasoned mare has always been about 1-2 weeks off that (early) so she was on time for her!

The two I'm watching now both seasoned were pasture bred last year (10 days in with the stallion). They're both at 338-348 days from the total time in with the stallion.

Latest posts

Back