HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It totally depends on the individual horse and the trainer as well. MOST of mine have been broke to drive to where chicken me can drive them in about 2 months, but it really depends. It's like asking how long does it take to fix dinner. It just depends
smile.gif

My answer has always been that it takes as long as it takes. Every animal and every human work and learn at different speeds. I have had some except everything that I did in really quick time frames, then I have had some that take what seems like forever to accept any new things. I never put a time frame on it and this way I don't add pressure to the horse or myself. It just happens at the speed in which the horse can learn and also based on how much the horse trusts you.

Added: I like to spend a ton of time on ground work. I probably spend more than most, but since this is "the foundation on which the house stands", it is important that it is very solid. I typically spend several months on the ground work on the large riding horses before getting into the saddle the first time, and I firmly believe that the minis require the same steps to be totally understood before getting in a cart. But, where I may hurry up steps in a riding horse, I won't in a driving as I don't have anything but the reins and my voice to control a driving horse. To me, it is extremely important that the horse firmly grasps the concepts of everything if it will be driving for safety reasons.

As a comparison, I had a mare take 2 months before driving in her first show. I had another mare of identical age take twice that long and still not be ready to go to a show. It is totally dependant on the horse, the person training, and the partnership between the two.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back