HOW HARD IS IT TO BREAK IN A MINI

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobby dazzler

Reaction score
Hi. Since I am still new to this horse thing, wondering exactly what is involved in getting your mini broken in, so that my younger boys could one day ride him - i.e, my two younger boys are 1 and 4. Is it really hard? Bobby is only 11 mths old at the moment and is YET to be gelded - so will obviously have to wait for me to do that first - but what do you recommend - the breeder said it was very labour intensive but I noted that one other member had noted that her mini was supposed to not have been broken in to ride, yet her son was on him. Thanks, Kerrie

Starting off with one tiny point- I LOATHE the term "Break" I would like to remove it from the equine vocabulary.

I have saddle trained hundreds of horses, I have harness trained quite a few BUT I have only ever "broken" one, and he very badly needed it, and was doing his very best to break me into very small pieces!!!!
smile.gif

So, forget "breaking in" and think "train"

Look at your sweet little boy- how hard do you think it is going to be, once he is fully grown (no less than a full three years old) and gelded, to persuade him to let little kids sit on his back??

Yes, you are right, not hard at all.

There are lots of things you can do to help. You can get him used to a surcingle- the strap that goes right round his belly- in my experience it is this tightening that causes almost all and any reaction you are likely to get from a young horse. You can do that now, he is quite old enough. Just get a belt, or buy a proper surcingle from Ozark Tack, if you would rather, and start putting it on him when you walk him out. You may get a few fireworks the first time you do it up tight, you may not, depends on the horse.

Since your children are really young I would suggest you do no use a bit, but yo will want to drive him later, so teaching him to wear a bit will be useful- again, by Spring he will be old enough to start this- you will need help fitting it properly and getting the right size- the first few fittings should not be done by a Novice- and NEVER let your kids hold anything attached to the bit, even as a game, as real damage can be done. By the time he is three years old he will just extend the game to carrying the kids- most Minis are really generous about this sort of thing, although I have to say, I backed and trained all my Arabs the exact same way and I never had any trouble with any of them.

Quiet and slow and steady gets the best trained, quietest horses.

How big is your boy likely to get, any idea??

When you work out how mush weight he can carry, remember to take the weight of the saddle into account- this is the main reason most Minis are cart trained- they can pull a lot more than they can carry.

It's lots of fun, too!!
yes.gif

Sorry but I would never let anybody ride any mini unless the mini was at the minimum of 3 years.

aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
Jane has it perfect! The word "break or broke" should be outlawed. Horse should be trained or started. Never broken.
new_shocked.gif
But I do know what you meant.

[SIZE=14pt]I trained Roy very easily.I just did LOTS of round pen work and ground work and before long my brother was up trotting around.No bucking no stress.He was fine with every thing didnt even bat an eye.Good luck and have fun!![/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Ashley where has it been suggested that anyone should ride a horse under three years old???

Tristyn please read all my post again slowly!! It is for young people like you to make the changes for the future, not stay with the old ways of the past
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
None of my horses will ever be trained under saddle. I do not approve of it. Maybe for a B sized mini with a child under 50 pounds, but I will never train my minis to lug around a saddle and a kid on their back. I think it is more fun to drive a mini than ride one. Just my opinion though. Leave the riding for ponies and big horses.

Both my old boys are trained to be riden and me being one of the oldest kids in my family, My guys get ridden a fair bit and I trained them & they love it. I think they like it better then driving, more one on one contact for them.

I think that using the word "breaking" was a newbie mistake
sad.gif
and probably didn't mean anything by it. I think most agree training is better
rolleyes.gif
, to a newbie the word "breaking" may mean training
unsure.gif
, they may not know about the Ole' cowboy breaking way....

The one thing I didn't realize when I was trying to train Magic to carry one of the kids, is all about the Wolf teeth and the bit! I strongly reccomend using a halter and attaching reigns, rather then deal with the tooth issue and a heavy handed child.. and reigns...

I didn't have a round pen yet, so walking him on a lead line with a saddle was the biggest part of the training... which was very very easy.. just LOTS of time and energy.

Also, make sure he's bomb proof. You don't want a child on a horse that freaks when a car comes... a fire cracker goes off.. someone claps their hands.. or even clicks or yells... (any of which our three kids find very entertaining).

We took a day... took alot of treats and I told the kids to find anything that makes noise . We made every kind of noise you can imagine while I was giving the horses treats. They soon learned to ignore the kids and the noise.

I'm very proud of our littlest 38 lb daughter who does cross bars and fence.. (which wasn't our intention).. Our "R" mini... (who weighs 325 plus) loves for her to point him at something he can trot over.. or jump. She's never fallen, and he's never given her a reason to fall.

And remember to always end training.. on an up note, no matter HOW bad it seems at the moment.

Does that make any sense??

God Bless,

Lynn W

The only mini's that i have right now that ride is Coco and Rocky. They both get rode by tanner, who is 40-45 pounds. Well he only rides them from time to time so i dont worry about that much.

He and i did finish off training Striker to ride ..he rode and i led and held him on just in case.

I think the hardest part is finding a kid that is small enouph and has the right mindset to get on the horse and knows his horse stuff!

Leeana

Frankly, I don't care what you call it. I've seen some who call it breaking and handle a horse humanely and with respect and those who call it "training" yet beat the ever living crap out of them because they can't get compliance any other way than to cause fear. As long as you accomplish the former, it's all semantics.
wacko.gif

If you are new to horses, I think you are putting the cart before the horse one this one. Saddle training is definately the last thing to be working on. The horse is too young to do much more than just basic ground manners at 11 months old and you may have to accept that by the time the horse is ready to be ridden your child may be almost too big to ride him much longer anyway, The best advice I can give you is to put the horse with a trainer that will teach you both at the same time. Good ground manners are first and formost and can be easily taught so you can practice between lessons to gain confidence. If your horse, no matter the size, walks all over you, you will never get to the point where you can trust it with your child on it's back.

You don't even need someone who specializes in minis, just someone who is genuinely interested in teaching you how to work with your horse properly. Many experienced horse people are more than happy to help you and won't charge a high fee to get you off on the right foot. A hundred dollars in half hour lessons will get you a good base in horsemanship, read as much as you can about what you want to accomplish and how a horse relates to the world and spend a lot of time with your horse. If you get to know all his nuances, and he yours, that is what builds trust and a bombproof horse you'd feel confident putting a young rider on when the time is right.

Last edited:
[SIZE=14pt]Sorry about putting 'broke' in my last post I was thinking to hard and didnt even notice!!
wacko.gif
Im dumb!!If u were calling me a newbie I am not a newbie...just to let u know.And I dont find an issue with riding minis as long as the person riding is not to heavy.Roy has not been riden in a couple months because my brother and sister are to big and no one else is small enough...
no.gif
...Roy realy does not enjoy driving his ears turn back his tail twitchs I am not sure why.No matter who drives him he is un happy (I thought it mite be me making him unhappy).But when being ridden his ears are forward tail held high he prances (He somtimes gets to happy!!
rolleyes.gif
).Good ole lil man...sigh what will I do with him...
wub.gif
[/SIZE]

I have found mini's so EASY to train!

I have never really trained any other type of horse, they all came pretrained
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Maybe it sounds idealistic but I have formed a strong bond with my horses and I feel that they know I would not ask too much of them and they know to be calm and quiet around the kids!

I put a saddle on one of my young mares and tightened the girth and she didn't even react, I kept saying Good Girl and she kept looking at me like "Hello, where is the treat"
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Nobody will be riding her anytime soon but I just wanted to see her reaction! I walked her around with it and she didn't even seem aware of it. She did look back to see what was banging around, the stirrups!!

For me, I think you can tell if they will be easy to train and I would NEVER use a stallion for leadline! No matter how sweet they are you just never know, IMO! My kids are too precious to risk it!
yes.gif

If you keep a good enouph eye on the horse, and keep ahold of the kid untill the horse is finished off ...there is nothing to worry about. Mare, gelding or stallion really ...its all about paying attention and anticipating whats going to happen.

If you throw a saddle on the horse thinking 'this horse is going to take off' ..then your in for a time. Walk up confident and you will have no trouble.

I dont think there is a such thing as an untrainable horse ..just people that are not good trainers!
no.gif

But i do beleive mini's are easier to train that QH or big horses.

Leeana

Hi. Thanks for your replies - and in future I will use the word "train" rather than break in - bare with me as I am def. a NEWBIE. I would never do anything to hurt Bobby as I just lurve him to death and I would never want to do anything to break his spirit. The reason I did ask about "training" for him was because everybody that has seen him always asks can he be riden. I know that my two older boys, 12 and 9 are way too old but the thought of one of my younger ones on him - but just for fun, did cross my mind. Now at least I can say, maybe BUT it wont be for years yet. That should appease them. Bobby is 29 inches at the moment and I was told that he should only grow another 3 inches. I do know that he is approx 1200 mm in length - as my husband is in the process of making him a more permanent stable come shelter.

It was 46 degrees celius here today - and Sydney reached 45 degrees which was the hottest tempature on record - in other wordss it was ruddy hot. Yesterday was abit cooler but thought you might like to see Bobby playing with the hose, which he seems to enjoy.

Here are some photos which I took yesterday and on xmas day.

MVC-010S.jpg

MVC-012S.jpg

MVC-009S.jpg

First off--VERY cute mini! He looks like he is just full of personality! Second, if he is only 11 months old, you have about 2 more years before he could be safely ridden by even the smallest of children--when his knee joints start to close up. Think of it like a baby's soft spot on their head--you know how the schull has to finish growing and cover that vulnerable area on a newborn baby's head? A horses joints need to close up in a similar fashion. If he finishes up about 32" I would still not put any child over 40 lb on him, personaly.

I know braking in is the traditional word for it and I too despise it because it brings back bad memories of my uncle tying a mustang or young appaloosa to a hitching post in the round pen to saddle them, run them until they drop, wack them with a board if they come too close, then when they can barely stand take them on a 4 hour ride up the mountain...THAT to me is "breaking". Training is much better.
smile.gif
As for that part, you CAN start now. Start by just leading Bobby around and teaching him to stand and whoa. Then you can add back and a word for left and right. Just say the word a second before you use the lead to reinforce it with a little pressure. Then next year when Bobby is 2 you can get a bridle and surcingle and start ground driving him, keep using those verbal cues! The surcingle will get him used to something on his back and the reins will teach him steering. I would start adding little things like a doll, a bag with cans, a tarp--anything you can think of. Start driving him over tarps, through water--again, everything you can think of. Then you can add the saddle and kep adding different stuff to it that will bang around. By the time he is three your 1 year old child should be ready to sit on him. The key for me is to have a leader for the horse that they know--and someone with a hand on the child's belt like Jane described. I have trained about a half dozen minis to ride doing this--several of them for use in a Therapeutic riding program, and one big horse. Doing things this way we never had any explosion and did things one step at a time. By the time we got to the actual riding part it was all an old hat and the horses never blinked.

-Amy

I have to agree, he's a sweetie. The kids are cute too!

I love that he loves the hose, when I pick our hose up, my mini tries to back away, have had to make the hose more "Friendly".

Wish my Christmas pictures looked that GREEN.

Take care!

Hi

Thanks for the replies once again - Amy, thanks for all the detail and the advice - I might start doing the exercises you said just so that he is easier to handle, but given what you have said, by the time he is old enough to be trained to be riden by the youngest of my kids, who at present is nearly 2, he would be nearing the maximum weight limit. So, I might just train him so he does what he is asked, if I need him to move out of the way.

And yes, he does have loads of personality - he is so friendly and because he is on the corner of our block, he is seen by lots of walkers who come over to see him - he goes straight over for a pat. He comes straight away when you call him or he sees you - and whinnies when he sees me, which I reckon is absolutely fanstastic - given we have only had him for about 2 weeks.

Regards,

Kerrie

Latest posts

Back