How does it work when you put your foal up for sale?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamdamster

Reaction score
I have seen plenty of foals for sale that aren't weaned yet and aren't even close. WHen you have a buyer, do you get a deposit, refundable, non-reundable- why? How do you work out payment? Is there a contract and what is included? Thanks, Susan.

Our policy is that the buyer must put down a non-refundable deposit, we usually require $250, but that is up to you. That will hold that foal for the buyer until weaning. Balance can be paid in payments or at the time of pick-up, but the foal must be paid in full before it leaves our farm. Our policy has always been that the deposit is non-refundable if you change your mind, however, heaven forbid, if something terrible were to happen to the foal while still in my care I will refund the deposit. I do have a little home made contract that simply states that the buyer has agreed to buy the foal for said amount, it shows how much was put down and states that it is non-refundable, it gives the balance due and an approximate date of availability for pick up.

How do you guys word the contract if the foal should get sick, needs vet care, who pays that bill? Especially if the new buyer is making payments?

Thats always been my hang up when selling a foal. Not sure on who should pay for what.

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=14pt]I put that I am responsible for the foal until it leaves my property. It is my job as the breeder to make sure it is properly wormed, vaccinated and had the feet done before it leaves. After that it is their responsibility.[/SIZE]

Lyn

I agree with Lyn, the foal is my responsibility until it leaves my farm. Any vet care is my problem. I am selling a happy, healthy foal and no matter what it takes that is what the new owner will get.
default_yes.gif
:

Funny I was just having this conversation with a friend today. I have a contract that states there is a deposit taken to hold the foal however if it should suffer some kind of injury that makes it not able to be used for its intended purpose the deposit is refunded.

I am responsible for all vet bills, feed and farrier work no board is charged on a baby until it has been weaned and then owner gets 30 days to find a transporter or make arrangements before board is charged.

This also of course allows me to be soley responsible for whatever decisions need to be made medical wise.

Since the buyer does not have the option of taking this horse and caring for it themselves until weaning I feel it is all my responsibility to care for it until they can.

It has worked very well for me, in fact 99 percent of our foals have been sold before weaning and most have been sold before 1 week old.

I try to make a contract that is fair to the buyer since they are really trusting in me as a breeder by purchasing a foal that is not only so young but in many cases one they have been anxiously waiting for in utero (although I dont sell in utero foals)

Funny I was just having this conversation with a friend today. I have a contract that states there is a deposit taken to hold the foal however if it should suffer some kind of injury that makes it not able to be used for its intended purpose the deposit is refunded.

I am responsible for all vet bills, feed and farrier work no board is charged on a baby until it has been weaned and then owner gets 30 days to find a transporter or make arrangements before board is charged.

This also of course allows me to be soley responsible for whatever decisions need to be made medical wise.

Since the buyer does not have the option of taking this horse and caring for it themselves until weaning I feel it is all my responsibility to care for it until they can.

It has worked very well for me, in fact 99 percent of our foals have been sold before weaning and most have been sold before 1 week old.

I try to make a contract that is fair to the buyer since they are really trusting in me as a breeder by purchasing a foal that is not only so young but in many cases one they have been anxiously waiting for in utero (although I dont sell in utero foals)
[SIZE=18pt]What Lisa stated is exactly the same as we do here at W W Miniatures![/SIZE]

Bill

UGH! Scarey subject. Please don't nobody call here and talk to Jerry! He'll sell my FETUS!!!!!!!!

OHHH MARTY---what time did you say you'll be gone and Jerry will be home??? :bgrin . I also require a deposit, and I am completely responsible for everything that baby needs until he is ready to go to his new home. Then I even pack him a "baby bag" of his goodies! Corinne

Latest posts

Back