How do you stop a horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would suggest using the metal over the board edges. I have successfully use 'dry wall corner bead', which is the right angle galvanized metal, complete w/ nailing holes in it, that builders use over corners of dry wall, for many years. Yes, it will eventually rust out, esp. if used outdoors, but it is easy to replace and not terribly expensive. That said...for wider lumber-like full dimension, or where thick plywood is nailed onto 2-by stuff, I used a plain galv. right angle metal flashing...comes in several widths, I *think*, including 2"x 2", or maybe 1.5" x 1.5", which is just right for such lumber. Works really well!

In these times, when most horses are raised in pens and often spend lots of hours confined, LOTS of horses will chew wood. I try to NEVER have any exposed wood within their reach.

Margo

My Lord Humphrey (boss of the wash)
default_488.gif
has only ever been stalled a few times and he took to the woodwork with gusto. I sprayed on some of the commercial product you use to stop this and he thought that was pretty yummy.
default_eat.gif
I mixed up some chilli powder and mustard into a paste and painted that on.

Problem solved.
default_hot.gif

I know most will think this is disgusting, but I use Code Blue Doe Urine, I've only had one horse who like to crew wood, and I tried everything, some things worked a few days and some I think he actually liked the taste.
wacko.gif

I happened to be in Bass Pro Shop and seen a bottle of this product, I opened it up and almost passed out, my wife made a comment that surely Lil' One our Mini would not chew on that, I bought some and took it home that night, I wiped a little bit on top of the stall door, he walked over and put his nose to it, threw up his lip and ran around his stall for about 5 minutes, but hasn't put his mouth on that stall door since then, and that was over two years ago..
yes.gif

We tried the soap and also use the metal. But, when I had a real wood chewer on my hands (not just an occassional nibbler), nothing seemed to work until I asked a good friend with tons of experience about it. She told me that was a sign of ulcers. Made sense to me, so we started treatment for ulcers (Gastro Gard and Neigh Lox) and within 3 days the chewing had completely stopped. We did the full course of Gastro Gard and kept her on Neigh Lox for a bit longer, and we have had no more episodes of wood chewing from her. I would sure consider ulcers!

There is one mare my mom has that is a wood chewer and when she was here she was terrible on the wood. The only thing that worked for her was to not lock her in anywhere. When she was put in a small area, stall or paddock she went to town but when let out in a bigger area she never bothered.

We have wooden fences in our paddocks along with oak trees for shade and for the last several years our horses have chewed to no end on both the fence boards and trees until last year. I placed some 200 lb HORSE SAFE protein bucket in every paddock and the problem has been eliminated. I was told that if they were chewing on the fence and the trees there's a reason. There missing something in their diet.

We have round bales out all year round plus their all given alfalfa daily and they were given strategy.

No fence or tree chewing now..... You might want to try placing some mineral supplements in the horses feed. There are several that can be utilized Farnum makes one called Vita Plus. I haven't utilized it myself. As I mentioned I utilize the 200 lb protein tube from Tractor Supply. Make sure you get one that's classified as HORSE SAFE.

Last edited by a moderator:
Melinda that is always such a problem. Most of them do it because they are bored- or looking for something to munch on.

Years ago, all our horse pens were wood. We used to save the used oil when we changed it in the truck and would 'paint' the wood with the used oil. The horses hate the smell of it and it doesnt taste so good either- They never chewed another piece of it ever and the oil kind of kept the wood from drying too much from the summer heat and sun here. It didnt cost a thing and made good use of the oil.

Someone at Big R told me to paint used motor oil on the wood and the horse would stop chewing. I was a little uncertain about that though. Seems kinda...dangerous to me
default_unsure.png

Many many years ago we had a big horse who suddenly started chewing - took a lot of research but found out that she was intaking too much salt (from salt free salt lick plus added in food) and was using the wood to try to balance her diet instinctively.

I would use something on the wood, but also look at his lifestyle (plenty of exercise/freedom etc) and his diet (fibre content/grain/additives/minerals/salt) plus the need for him to have several regular feed during the day. An ulcer course would also be sensible.

Good luck.
default_smile.png

Anna

I'm taking an Equine Behavior course and our Professor suggests that the reason for these behaviors ( also called sterotypies) is that because they do not have enough forage, friends and locomotion. Horses were meant to chew 80 per cent of the time and alot of the diets we use are concentrated , so our horses do not get the chewing they need , along with the movement . I am doing my major paper on wood chewing/cribbing and everything I have reaserched certainley supports his theory .I have also found that with my own horses once I gave them more area and spread thier hay/cubes around the field and made them move more ...everyone was much happier and our barn remained in one piece ......The main thing I have learnt from this course is "friends, forage and locomotion makes for happy horses " ......Ann
default_laugh.png

i had a horse eat a stall down it was horrible. chew stop doesnt work. A old horse man told me to get hot sauce(the hottest you can find) and canine pepper mix in a bucket and paint it on the wood it will light them up and stop the chewing. I know it sounds nasty but it worked

I had to cover the posts in my stallion's stall. He started rubbing on it first and then decided it tasted good, I guess. So before I lost the support for the gate I covered it with aluminum siding. I wouldn't use hardware cloth as someone suggested as I tired to cover a pipe gate with that to make it solid and he tore holes out of hardware cloth. That was after he had flattened about a foot of 2" pipe on the gate. Just clamped down and bit it over and over. Destructive little begger!

Last year, someone suggested used motor oil painted on the wood fence. Worked beautifully, stopped the chewing, it turned the fence black but that was fine - actually liked the look of it. But for my new horse barn stalls, I didn't want them black, so I thought, if USED oil works, why not NEW? Painted all stalls / doors with brand new motor oil (cheapest I could find). It was cheaper than paint, the wood doesn't get as dirty (water etc. roll off of them) and guess what? nearly a year later, not ONE chewed spot. Gave the wood a beautiful blonde finish too! And no having to "redo" it, like with the dish soap or other treatments.

Edited to add - not one chewed spot on the treated wood - had a horse kick a door, had to put a replacement board on it, didn't get it "painted" with the oil, guess what? That board is chewed on. . .

Last edited by a moderator:
In my opinion a slow-feeder hay net or bag will do wonders if it's related to boredom. My mare here was chewing on the dry lot paddock fence posts because she would finish her hay too quickly and be bored/hungry the rest of the day, I switched to feeding hay 3 times a day instead of 2, and then eventually went back to twice a day, but with slow-feeder hay bag. It fixed the problem with no need to paint the fence with anything.

i had a horse eat a stall down it was horrible. chew stop doesnt work. A old horse man told me to get hot sauce(the hottest you can find) and canine pepper mix in a bucket and paint it on the wood it will light them up and stop the chewing. I know it sounds nasty but it worked
I'm happy it worked for your horse(s) but I used this to stop a gelding from eating thro my wooden gate and the mares he was learning to live with from eating the fence next to it and guess what... after the first taste they loved it. They would go to the rails and lick them then start gnawing away again
default_sad.png
I solved the problem by offering a free choice vitamin/mineral supplement and eventually turning the gelding in with them. Mine do get their hay spread very thinly around their paddock so they have to graze to eat. They can take up to 3 hours to complete a meal and the low horses in the herd can't be chased from pile to pile or away from a feeder.

Before i tried the hot sauce i was also told used motor oil would stop them but never had to try it. The hot sauce worked for this mare. I also keeps a hay bag in her stall and a mineral block so maybe it was combination of all three but all i know is i had my stall rebuilt , painted it down again with hot sauce and never had the problem again. Maybe you will find something that works for you

Latest posts

Back