How Do You Spoil, Indulge or "Treat" Yourself?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jill

Aspiring Cowgirl
Reaction score
What are some of the things that you do just for you... that give you that *happy sigh* feeling? For me:

• Audio books
  • Floral perfumes (Anais-Anais, Lamb, Exceptional, Sunflowers, and "old faithful" Tea Rose)
  • "Trashy" reality TV (Big Brother, Housewives, Survivor...)
  • Before bed PJ clad visits with my horses
  • Cheesy, starchy comfort foods
  • A strong vodka-based cocktail
  • Long, hot bathes with Calgon, etc.
  • Early afternoon naps

What about you? What are some of the things you do that are just for YOU?

thumbs-up2.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I send the kids to their granparents houses and then I go home and lay in bed and read a book. WITHOUT screaming, fighting or interruptions! LOL

I go to the gym at least 2 hours every day

Vodka.. newest favorite flavor.. Strawberry and OMG there is a new Lite Vodka out will be trying it this weekend

My reality shows

READING LB! It's my daily "newspaper"!
default_aktion033.gif

Maybe once a month I ask hubby to bring me home a candy bar or an ice cream.

If he's willing, I ask him to take me to the lake where it's HEAVEN to swim for an hour (OMG it's SO hot here this summer!)

Oh and once in a great while I ask hubby to change the TV connection over and put in one of my movies. Some Johnny Depp
default_wub.png
Harry Potter, or an old bk & white horror.

So I guess my biggest pleasure is being with my hubby!
default_wub.png

Love the responses!!!
default_yes.gif

Lisa, I just got done exercising... I tried telling myself it was a "treat" but it didn't keep me from checking the clock to see how much longer every couple of minutes!!!
default_biggrin.png

Reading a good book, going out in the pasture with a pocket full of treats and just laying out there and being surrounded by the horses, watching the hummingbirds in front of the kitchen window hover over the flowers, curling up on the couch in sweats and watching a girly movie (pride and prejudice, ps I love you, the notebook, stardust, etc), finding new barn kittens and being the first to hold them, watching Greys Anatomy and Fringe every week, AND of course the occasional bowl of ice cream or laffy taffy
default_smile.png

Getting a pedicure.

Cook a gourmet meal.

take a day off from work and spend it taking a walk with my dogs, spoiling my horses. The best part is not being bothered by anyone. It's a nice break

Meet a friend or sister for lunch.

Retail therapy

Well, I have never had a manicure or a pedicure or a massage. I hate clothes shopping and wear nothing but jeans and tshirts.

I don't like alcohol but for an occasional margarita. I hate colognes. Never buy the stuff.

I prefer showers over baths because they are quicker. I haven't sat in a bathtub since 1985. Seriously.

I occasionally go out and buy myself a nice pair of gold earrings... I have four holes in each ear.

This week I bought a Kindle just because I wanted one!

I am an outdoor person, so I indulge myself by taking off on my Kawasaki mule and bringing my two labs along and going for long rides of five miles or so through the woods and fields. That's my "daily escape."

The only way I really indulge myself is traveling with friends, as my husband hates to fly and hasn't been on an airplane since 1968!!! Seriously! My friends and I have traveled to Ixtapa, Mex. (which I love better than ANY place I've ever been), and to Hawaii (been there twice and don't care for it at all), all over the US and Canada, and next year we're planning on Ireland.

I also have a home in Florida, just a few miles north of Daytona, and it's on the ocean and I spend every February there because that's the coldest and suckiest month here up north. My husband stays home and takes care of the horses and dogs, and I have a friend either fly down with me or meet me there. I inherited this house, so it's not like I actually went out and bought it, but it's all paid for! When I'm there I indulge myself in LOTS of meals in restaurants, as I hate to cook and in our small, rural area here in Wisconsin there are NO restaurants but a few fast food places, so when I get to Florida I love going to the fancy, neat restaurants in Daytona.

I don't. Never really have. Been too busy taking care of others most of my life. My mother, my aunt, my kids, my Hus. I'm pretty content sitting on the porch steps with my dog or sitting up in the barn loft watching the horses where its quiet. I love that. There's nothing really I have to have or need but I would like to go to lunch one day at Ruby Tuesdays, a restaurant in Chattanooga, and maybe get my hair fixed up at a hair salon. Its a mess. I mean really a mess.
default_yes.gif

On a cold winter day sitting on the hay in the barn watching the horses munch away with my dog on my lap.

On a nice day going out and sitting in the pasture with the horses.

Sleeping in on a Saturday...instead of 4:30 AM getting up at 5:30 AM...lol

Sitting on the deck early in the morning with a cup of coffee and watching over the pastures and woodland edges to sneak a peek at mother natures creatures.

I just love sitting down and watching tv, or laying down and watching a movie or kicking back in the recliner. I love to watch the Travel chnnl..........its sort of like going on vacation for an hour.........

I love the smirnoff blueberry lemonade drinks, most nights after a day at work and an evening at the barn and a nice long shower, I like to sit down and check out facebook or watch some tv kicked back in the recliner with a smirnoff blueberry lemonade...

Oh....and Sweet Tea's from McD's....I order them regular (not sweet) and then put truvia or spenda or something in them as I'm not big on eating or drinking sugar.........we keep splenda in the truck just for that
default_smile.png

Not counting the horses, which is obvious one to me...they are a "treat" to own!

My splurge is typically a latte/chai/frappe or some kind of "hand crafted" beverage, hot in winter, iced or frozen in summer. During a busy day at work (as a nanny), I hit the drive thru at a coffee shop or Starbucks, and I get a few minutes of time in my happy place. How sad is that, LOL?!

Reading, especially having a "lazy day" where I don't have to get out out of bed right away (sorry hungry horses!) and can read in bed for 30 mins to an hour. Doesn't happen very often, so it's a true luxury to me!

Watching a movie, we have Netflix so it's a weekly one!
default_smile.png
And sometimes the movie theater, it's 5 mins from my house so I go a LOT more often than I used to.

Books, either going to the libary or buying at the book store, I love audio books too!

Ice cream! I don't like many sweet things, but ice cream is my huge weakness!

Oh, and dark chocolate! I almost forgot, but I always have some in the house, just a square a day keeps me happy, especially if we are out of ice cream.

I'm sure there are more, but that is my short list.
default_smile.png

We're not big luxury people.

-My horses are my biggest luxury. As hard as hubby tries to pretend at times, I think he really hates horses. He did pretend to like them a whole lot more when we were just dating
default_rolleyes.gif
He doesn't mind me having them, he just doesn't want anything to do with them. Hey, I can't complain, my new suprise is a birthday gift from my husband.

-Im a cosmologist, and now that im a stay at home mom, I really dont do anything with my hair. Ive been cutting it myself since my son was born, when I get a chance. Maybe twice in the past year, and I havent colored it since I got pregnant. I figured that I would like to see my natural color, since my hair had been colored black for 10 years. Especially with this summer being so hot, I just throw my hair in a ponytail and go. Now Im really looking forward to going and getting my hair cut and I might even color it. Its a huge luxury for me, because I can do it myself, I just honestly want some time for myself.

-I make sun tea everyday in a 1 gallon jar I have. Instead of using ice cubes, Ive been using frozen fruit in it.

-Getting a babysitter. Its VERY rare that I get a baby sitter, since I chose to stay home with my son instead of going back to work. I did go back to work for a few months, but my husband got a new job and works 6 12 hour shifts, plus two hours of driving. Hes just too tired to watch my son when he gets home. We dont want to send Colton to daycare until hes old enough to talk sentences and tell us if something is wrong.

-Teavana tea. I'll never buy it again (WAY pricey) but its delicious, and I have enough to last us like a year. Husband didnt understand it was sold by the ounce, not the container, and ended up buying about $60 worth of different chai teas.

Reading

Going to the movies once/week (usually)

Tim Horton's Coffee

Hanging out with my friends in Toronto at least 4x/year on a patio, having dinner and a beer or having a dinner party (that carries on into the wee hours lol)

Back rubs from my sweets
default_wub.png

Giving my sweets back rubs
default_wub.png

Wine

My fave restaurants (Bangkok Pad Thai in London and Lola's in Sarnia)

Cooking a new, exciting recipe for me and the sweets

Vacations (one/year....usually to Puerto Vallarta)

lets see...boating and camping, reading a good book, tequilla and vodka, fancy nailpolish, purses, flipflops, long rides on our golf cart with the hubby, laying on the floor with my dogs around me (getting covered in dog hair).

CHOCOLATE

but as I never seem to stop eating the stuff I don't suppose you can really call it a treat.

Love reading your posts!!! And some of you are reminding me of additional things I cherish
default_wub.png

Pedicures are my way of really relaxing. The lady knows I like to have my feet massaged, so she does it for a full hour. I give her a double tip. Afterwards I am so relaxed.

Going out to be with the foals is great relaxation. I watch them play and they will come over and try to play with me or pester me. I love to watch their interactions with one another.

During these really, REALLY, hot days, it is a treat to go to a good movie. Here they turn the AC down to the point you need to take a sweater! Two hours in the cold, dark theatre with a good movie is fun!

Extra cold gin Dirty Martinis are a good way to relax...

Joel Osteen! (How could I forget??)..

I love watching Joel Osteen too!!!! Tv, youtube...anywhere.....its a real feel good treat when I get to watch that man speak..........

Latest posts

Back