How did you decide on your farm name?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helicopter

Reaction score
Hi all, The post on farm names made me wonder how other people came about having the farm or stud name that they have. My 'property' is named Danissy. It is the amalgamation of the names of the 2 ponies I had when I was a kid. Sissy, an old mare rescued from the knackery who could only be ridden bareback and kicked every other horse silly enough to come close and Danny a lovely 13hand golden buckskin who came later. Still love them even after all these years.

There was a post like this awhile ago
default_smile.png
I love post like this! Okay I came up with "Mountain View Farms" as I have a wonderful view of two big beautiful mountains!

Ours is ROKO Miniature Horses. Pronounced ROE KOE

It's just mine & hubby's initials!

R.O. and K.O.
default_smile.png

I like this topic! I'm sure everyone has a story for what they named their farm.

The name of our farm is 'Wey-A-Way Ranch'

The first part 'Wey' comes from a historical site that we live very close to. It is called Weymouth Furnace.

You can read about it here: http://www.aclink.org/PARKS/mainpages/historic_weymouth.asp

The second part is 'Away' because it just felt like it was so far away from all the hustle and bustle that we were used to. A quiet place where we could escape. We live on a very quiet dead end street surrounded by woods. When you are back here you forget that it is only 4 streets off the main highway.

I also have a good story of how I named my first Mini. Her name is Leeds My Way. She is actually my fathers mini so I wanted to name her in his honor. We are decends of the Leeds family, in NJ folklore the Jersey Devil is one of the Leeds children. Read about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jersey_Devil

So I just used a play on the word Lead to make it a family name. I feel like it is very meaningful but only to the family everyone else probably just thinks I spelled it wrong. We call her Lee which is a name I really like.

Ours is Blackwater Farm because I grew up on a river that was known for it's black water. They used it to transport lumber giving it the name the Lumber River. Due to all the dead trees and other decaying organic matter in the bottom it makes the water look black.

I love this topic, some people have some very interesting stories to go along with their names! The Jersey Devil/Leeds family name- Wow!!! How cool!!! I've always wanted some neat family lore/history like that.

I did Eohippus for two reasons. First, I love the name and little prehistoric beast that used to run around the plains. Second I think it fits in with the idea of miniatures, to make them small. Since Eohippus was the smallest (and first) horse I thought it only befitting that if I'm breeding small horses to honor that first horse. Its funny that we've come "full circle" with horses (bred them taller then bred them down[sorta[)!

My farm is called "Irish Roots Miniatures", because my Husband was born in N.Ireland.

We are two miles from the Pacific Ocean In California..

Pacific means "peace".

I liked the way Pacific Pintos sounded when you said it too...
default_rolleyes.gif

My husband and I have been through so much these last few years and this past year in the earlier months wanted to get into Mini's and

we had to put it on the back burner due to illness and a senior family member needing financial help. Now it's behind us and we're ready to move forward.

We've gotten over the 'speed bump' in the road of life.

We also do rescue for dogs and so we want to think up a name that reflects on going commitment to over come and get on with our dreams, hopes and goals.

A name that will reflect overcoming and working toward goals and dreams.

Always open to suggestions.
yes.gif

My late Mother was a professional dog handler and her kennel name was Cherryville Kennels, so when we did a farm name it seemed natural to use the "Cherryville" Moniker for the mini's as thta was where I got my early training in the show ring and our last name was Cherry! Not fancy but meaningful to Cindy and I anyway. LOL
default_yes.gif

GrandmaC how about New Hope ??
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Our Farm name is River Rose Farm. We named it that for a couple of reasons..First we live near the Potomac River and used to ride our big horses down there to enjoy the view. My daughter had a paint we named River, and she was a favorite. We wanted something to go with River so came up with Rose since we also love roses.

I lived in the woods at the time surrounded by maple trees in 2004

and my first 2 minis are a bay stud for maple color and my mare who is a silver dapple for silver...

Silver Maple Miniatures

Latest posts

Back