how can people

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Korinne

Reaction score
Today I was at the auction mart selling 3 of our steers/heifers instead of feeding them over the winter. The prices were high, so now was the time. While sitting there watching the sale, a mamma cow and her calf were brought in. It was a first time mamma and she never had much milk for her baby, so he was a sorry sight to say the least. He had hip and backbones sticking out, a snotty nose and a limp in one front leg. The buyers immediately called for the yard man to separate them!!
no.gif
no.gif
The mamma was then sold for a terrible price as she was in horrible shape as well. Then they brought in the little guy , running around like crazy , crying for his mamma, charging anyone that came near him. He is barely over a 100 pounds so not much threat to anyone. Needless to say, he is resting in our barn tonite. I have tried to feed him milk replacer and he has drank a little from a pail. I think tomorrow he will do better. I gave him a shot a antibiotics for the snotty nose, and some pain killer for his leg. I also rubbed his leg down with a linament I have for my minis.I don't think its broken as he does put some weight on it. It is swelled to three times normal at the knee joint.
ohmy.gif

We have named him Junior, and I'll do what I can to keep him alive, and if it doesn't work, I will know I tried. And he will still have a better life then the buyers could give him.

I would like to find the guy that raised these animals and smack him upside the head. How do animals get in that bad shape in the summer? There was plenty of rain so the pastures should have been plentiful. And how do you look at this pair,see something as terrible as starvation, and the only thing you do is load them up and sell them!!
no.gif

It has been a very disturbing day.

saludando.gif

Hi Korinne;

That is truly awful, but I had to smile when I came to the line where you said the little guy is in your barn tonight. Good for you! I'm glad he went to someone who will look after him well.

you have such a kind heart. thank you for saving him, and im sure he knows you are his guardian angel. look foward to updates on him. the world needs more sweet people like you.
yes.gif
aktion033.gif

Good for you for taking him in. lf you find the so and so call me l'll come with you to help smack the thing up side the head.
biggrin.gif

Korinne, THANK YOU so much for giving this little fellow a second chance.
wub.gif
Its people like you that make a world of differance to our animals.
yes.gif
Corinne

You are doing such an amazing thing, you are a truelly wonderful person! I hope I can do something like that someday! Hope that little baby gets better and stronger, good luck!

The ending of your post had me smiling as well......

Would love to hear (and see) how your new little guy does as he grows.

MA

You know, if there's one thing that breaks my heart it's to see the very young and the very old animals in poor shape like this. You are wonderful for taking him in. I just knew if I kept reading I'd find a happy ending
aktion033.gif

aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
You did such a wonderful thing. I wish there were more people like you out there.

Oh deary, DEARY me
smile.gif
There is NO hope for any of us- you cannot even go to a BEEF auction without buying something- you took your animals so you would not have to feed them through the Winter, remember???
rolleyes.gif
No, we Mini people are a lost cause for sure.

Seriously, Bless You for doing this and taking on this poor lost scrap of life.

OK, you slap him whilst Relic holds him down and I nail his head to the floor- OK???
yes.gif

Relic and Rabbitsfizz, you've got a deal!! We will form our own posse and hunt this guy down, and do nasty things to him, kay??
yes.gif

Junior is doing as good as can be expected today. He is up and hobbling around on his sore leg, bawling for his mamma. Poor little thing!! My cows are answering him, and I haven't decided if that is a comfort to him or an agitation.

I tried feeding him from a pail yesterday and again this morning, with not much luck. He is very stubborn. But at dinner time I filled a bottle for him and he drank at least half of it.
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
He would have drank more but I didn't want to give him too much for his starved belly to digest. Slow and steady is the trick. I think
wacko.gif

I will take some pics and show him off this weekend. Keep him in your thoughts and prayers. He has a long road ahead of him.

You are so sweet for giving Junior a chance...I hope he pulls through okay...what a wonderful thing you've done for this little guy!
yes.gif

Latest posts

Back