House hold grooming products

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dkminis

Reaction score
Hi

My miniature horse club has asked me to put togather a list of grooming products to use rather than the most expensive products. For some new members interested in starting to show. I made some notes from the other form. I have tried to find thing on the net. I really would appreciate a list of products & what you use it for. Such as WD 40, Afro American products. Anything different. Or anthing different to use on the farm also

Thanks for your hlep

Fay

I use Sauve shampoo and conditioner to bath the horses with. For my pinto though I do use a whitening shampoo by Absorbine.

I use baby oil gel on the horses face, above the eyes, muzzle, etc. So much easier to use and not near as messing as other products.

Always have baby wipes with you.

You can use a human hair comb on mane and tails.

Buy your small rubber bands for manes/tails from Kmart/Walmart. Much cheaper to buy from your local store.

I've also used Suave, or any cheap shampoo and conditioner. However, you can't get anything better than Cowbow Magic for tails. Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and use the expensive stuff. But a little goes a long way.

Avon Skin So Soft cut 50/50 with water and a little dish soap for fly spray.

I use rug shampoo for cat urine on white tails to get the yellow out.

Since it's a 4-H club, someone probably has AI gloves. Those are great for soaking tails and they are pretty cheap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vivid liquid laundry detergent (diluted in water of course) works great to whiten tails. It has blueing in it, same product alot of the whitening horse and dog shampoos have).

Dawn dish detergent works well to break up the dirt and oils and is still gentle enough for their skin (softens hands while you do the dishes, I mean horses).

Carolyn

Listerine is really great to use on rain rot. Also good to dilute with water and spray on the top of tails to keep them from rubbin. Karo Syrup for horses that suddenly wont eat or are taking antibiotics. Tide with bleach is good for getting tails white again but it does dry the tail so use conditioner afterwords.

Any conditioners that you get with hair color kits are great for manes and tails

I get Suave or any good shampoo at the dollar store, conditioner is the same. Gloves, rubber bands, listerine, hair brushs, baby wipes, pads, diapers for bandages, nylons for tail socks, red rags <can be easily washed> anti fugal creams, prep H, Vit E, Shark oil, WD 40, wind shield fluid <works great as a final rinse.

So many things I find there. If it works for me, it will work for ShotGun hehehe

Oxy Clean to get dirty tails clean...really lifts the dirt right out. If you have small areas on the body that are stained pretty bad, the oxy clean will lift the dirt right out..i do not leave it on long though, run it in and wash it right out.

I use human shampoo too on them from the dollar store, much cheaper and works better if you ask me...i get mine at the dollar store for like $1 a bottle, i use the suave too, and i dont feel bad if i use a full bottle on one horse at that cost.

Pepto for horses with loose stools too

Coffee cans are great to soak beet pulp in..put each horses ration in each can, works nice.

We use the Suave shampoo/conditioners too......AND a human bluing shampoo for white manes and tails.

Human Baby Wipes, Disposable diapers for the cotton (for wounds), regular hair brushes and combs, Pepto for the Runs, Baby Oil for make-up, Black Shoe Polish (with the sponge) as a base for hoof polish after sanding AND as a base for black makeup on the face, Human Hair elastics for braiding manes or tails, my husband's old athletic sock(s) as tail bags, Karo Syrup for all sorts of things, Coffee Bean Grinder for grinding pills into powder to add to grain, Listerine (mixed with water) to rinse a horse's mouth after a tooth floating, old house towels and sheets for birthing, a child's sweat shirt as a quick baby blanket.

Calgon bath beads mixed with water in a spray bottle....works great on tangled manes and tails!!

Crisco for dry/cracked hooves(can be applied to the whole hoof top and bottom), baby oil gel, pinesol and water for thrush, any cheap shampoo, dandruff shmpoo (selsun, ect.). I can't think of any more right now, but we did something similar when I was in 4-H, we came up with a long list of household items you can use for you horse. I'll ask my cousin if she remebers everything.

Christy

We use wisk detergent on any white areas of our horses during baths. It really gets them white. Just make sure to rinse good. Also baby wipes for too many reasons to list. Another is BLUE (has to be this one) Palmolive dish soap to spread on anything that the horses are chewing on to get them to stop. We also use a soft scrubber with a handle that you can put baby shampoo in to wash the horses face and the shower scrubber balls on a rope to help give baths. Black shoe laces to replace a side check on a harness. I am sure there are more, but these came to mind.

Vaseline is wonderful for using on cuts and scrapes to keep the skin soft so the hair will grow back the same color. It is also used for hooves and for removing chestnuts and ergots.

ISOPLUS oil sheen hair spray for instant spray shine. At Walmart.

Thanks for all your help an ideas. I made a list.

FAy

Ok, hate to pull up an old thread and not add to the list but have a question. Myself and a few other youth are taking over the newsletter for our club and I'm wondering if I may include a list of these ideas in the newsletter. If anyone who posted in this thread odjects to this, please pm me and will make sure not to include your message. Thanks!

This topic has already been explored... you can find it on the "Best Of Forum" if you look over there.... Maybe there's something over there you can find more... there are six pages of responses. The topic is on the first page.

Andrea

Last edited by a moderator:
We use lots of household items for our horses. SO much less expensive and generally work just as well if not better! Sometimes I SWEAR that if a bottle of shampoo has a picture of a horse on it, the price goes up about $10.00!!
default_no.gif

We often go to Sally Beauty Supply or WalMart and buy the human shampoo meant to be used on gray or white hair. Ths shampoo is often a blue or purple color and works great at removing stains and yellowing from white tails and coats. We also buy the Suave shampoos for our horses. I especially like the Tropical Coconut shampoo and conditioners. They make the coat shiny and soft AND it makes the horses smell nice. I also use the Clarifying shampoo from Suave (around 98 cents at WalMart) to soak and wash dirty horse brushes. It really gets the dirt and oil out of your brushes! I use Comet Cleanser (the powder type with bleach) to periodically scrub out all of the water buckets, grain buckets and outside water troughs. It kills germs, gets rid of the sludge and makes the buckets clean and fresh! (Remember to rinse well.) I have used diluted human spray-on conditioner (dilute 1/2 and 1/2 with water) as a coat conditioner for our horses. Works great at a fraction of the coat. We have also bought the generic baby oil to use on faces and hooves.

We also go to the dollar stores and buy spray bottles (great for fly spray, coat conditioner, etc.), hair brushes, hair elastics, Comet-type cleansers, dishwashing liquid (also used to clean dirty brushes or to clean white legs), small snap close containers to hold supplements or to bring small items to shows (so they don't get lost), hairspray to help smooth fly-away hair at the show, some hair products for African-American hair (great to condition, soften and polish coats and tails), no-tear shampoo (to use on faces) and no-tear spray-on de-tangler. We also buy all of our bucket brushes at the dollar store as well as inexpensive towels, thermometers, lubricant and infant enemas to put in our foaling kits.

Hope this helps! Good luck!
default_biggrin.png

Latest posts

Back