Horsemanship Merit Badge

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keeperofthehorses

Reaction score
A co-worker and I were chit-chatting the other day. We were talking about the ponies and the little kids that come over to learn how to take care of horses. She said that when her son (who is now getting ready to start his Eagle Scout project) went for his Horsemanship merit badge, his troop had to go all the way to Oregon because there were no counselors signed up in our area. So she talked me into going to their headquarters to check it out. I went, and mentioned that I might be able to help with the Horsemanship Badge, and the next thing you know I have a pile of papers, booklets, applications, background check forms and a big "Welcome to Scouting" fuss. :new_shocked: Uh, I was just curious... can't promise anything just yet... just asking... jeepers, I'm not sure what I've gotten myself into.

The requirements for the badge look very basic, and exactly what I love to teach kids. Basic horse care and handling, safety, nutrition, first-aid, health care, tack care. They do have to get on a horse and steer and a walk and jog, stop and back, mount and dismount. That part I'm not sure I want to touch, as I'd have to get a couple of school horses for the mounted test (wouldn't that be a shame) and my insurance guy may just have a coronary (or buy himself a new car). I've got a call into the guy who does the insurance for the Scouts, but I'm sure I would need a rider on my own policy.

Darrin is really jazzed about it (he was a Webelo) and once we get our new farm, it does sound like it would be kinda fun.

Has anyone been involved with either this Merit Badge or Scouting in general? Any thoughts one way or the other if this might be a worthwhile endeavor IF the insurance is affordable?

OK first this looks far more daunting than it is......all the paperwork is really no more than one would do for any gov job nowadays
default_wink.png
: ..... and actually as for the insurance IF you are participating in the scouts they may actually cover the insurance..............believe it or not some of these programs have their own insurance
default_yes.gif
: when we did 4H anytime a 4H related group came to my house or I brought animals to an event it was covered through their insurance which was wayyyyyyy better than mine and mine was pretty dang good. So don't let the insurance scare you off make a few calls you might be pleasantly surprised
default_wink.png
: as for the paperwork it is mostly to make sure you are not a child molestor/known felon wanted in 50 states :new_shocked: :lol: :bgrin I have had FBI checks run on me more times than I can count
default_wink.png
: you work with the state and with kids this will happen
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:

:saludando: I was an asst for my son's boy scout troop. I don't know about your area, but our troop was very small.(My son's had 6 in it) It is a lot of paper work, but more just a pain in the butt. I think if it is affordable for you, go fo it. It will make aa difference for those boys. They will love it. Our area didn't have much for our boys :no: , I think sign ups are even down and I think it is because of them needing to do more to interest the boys.. Good luck if you do it.. I know I did enjoy working with my boys..

I am fairly heavily in Scouts in Colorado right now - our Son is working on his Life rank. The Horsemanship merit badge is pretty straight forward. In our area the Boy Scout council works with Boy Scouts National on their insurance policies. Anytime the troop or patrol goes on an outing, they are covered by National's insurance. I have also talked to the local council about signing off on everthing on the riding part using the mini's driving instead. The general feeling was that there should not be a problem with that as the concepts for control and direction are basically the same. I have not taken it to the National level for comment yet. Let me know if you have any questions.

Virginia

Latest posts

Back