Hoof turned out, cow hocked?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whispering_Pines

Reaction score
Hello Everyone-

I was working with Tilly today and really noticed she is turning her left rear hoof out. I immediately thought she hurt herself, I am weaning her right now. No injury, no warmth, no pain, no lameness and she can surely run yet. My dad whom as had horses his entire life, said she looks like she is cow hocked. She needs a trimming, but her hooves are not terribly long. Our farrier was due to come out this week. It had taken her quite some time to get up on her back legs, but she is up on them nicely now. I have no knowledge on this condition or even is that is what it is. Any reassuring would be great.

Val

If your farrier is coming out this week, that is good, as she may just need a corrective trim to get her foot in good alignment. In my experience, even when we don't think they need a trim, sometimes as the babies grow they go through some strange 'angles' and just need a bit of a correction done by the farrier to get them standing up straight with feet going in the correct direction.

I would just discuss it with your farrier this week, and see what he suggests.

Babies take a while to straighten out. Keeping the hooves trimmed is essential to keeping conformation and movement correct. Most horses today are "slightly" cow hocked as over time through selective breeding we've favored an upright foot for traction in the work horse over the naturally shaped hoof of a "wild" horse. If you begin working hor over cavaletti it will strengthen her legs and help keep her from getting weak in the jounts and thus developing cow hocks. I have seen terribly cow hocked horses develop bruises on the hooves from their poor conformation exerting pressure on the hoof wall. I am sure with proper trimmings and routine exercise shell be fine.

The best Arab I ever bred had hocks that would have knitted you a cardigan if you had attached a ball of wool- as a yearling!! By the time she was three she was straight as a die. Just keep up the trimming, mention it to your farrier and try not to over think it. The time to worry would be if she were three and it was not coming straight, right now all you have to do is be aware and make sure your professional is aware.

Thanks ladies, the farrier was out today, trimmed her and said exactly what you guys are saying. He said to stop worrying about her, she has so much growing to do and not to worry until she is 2. If she has problems at that time we can work on things then if we need too!

Back