Hoof problem of sorts

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdomep

Reaction score
Priscilla's heels don't grow as quickly as her toes. The farrier does his best to trim her but can't take her toes down too far. Is there a suppliment? or a feed? or is that just her way? This wasn't a problem last year it seems to have come on since summer/fall. Any insight would be helpful.

[SIZE=8pt]LIVING HERE IN WASHINGTON WHERE IT IS VERY WET...I HAVE BATTLED WITH WHITE LINE DISEASE WITH MY DONKS.....I HAVE TRIED MANY POTIONS TO GROW OUT THEIR HOOFS FASTER AND TO MAKE THEM STRONGER. AS CRAZY AS THIS SOUNDS...I STARTED GIVING THEM "FLAX SEED" TO MAKE THEM HAVE SHINEY COATS AND IT HAS IMPROVED THE HEALTH OF THEIR HOOFS SOOOOOOO MUCH...IT IS AMAZING! WHEN THE FARRIER WAS HERE LAST WEEK SHE COULDN'T BELIEVE HOW GOOD THEIR HOOFS LOOKED
default_smile.png
FAWN JUST HAD A FEW SMALL PITS IN ONE OF HER BACK HOOFS :aktion033: YOU MIGHT GIVE IT A TRY....I BOUGHT MINE AT A HEALTH FOOD STORE. ANOTHER BENEFIT FROM THE FLAX SEED IS IT HELPS RID THE GUT OF SAND TOO.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]WHEN YOU GET SOME....PUT SOME IN A GLASS WITH WATER AND WAIT AWHILE AND LOOK WHAT IT DOES......NO WONDER MY GIRLS ARE SO SHINEY & PRETTY
default_yes.gif
: [/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]LIVING HERE IN WASHINGTON WHERE IT IS VERY WET...I HAVE BATTLED WITH WHITE LINE DISEASE WITH MY DONKS.....I HAVE TRIED MANY POTIONS TO GROW OUT THEIR HOOFS FASTER AND TO MAKE THEM STRONGER. AS CRAZY AS THIS SOUNDS...I STARTED GIVING THEM "FLAX SEED" TO MAKE THEM HAVE SHINEY COATS AND IT HAS IMPROVED THE HEALTH OF THEIR HOOFS SOOOOOOO MUCH...IT IS AMAZING! WHEN THE FARRIER WAS HERE LAST WEEK SHE COULDN'T BELIEVE HOW GOOD THEIR HOOFS LOOKED
default_smile.png
FAWN JUST HAD A FEW SMALL PITS IN ONE OF HER BACK HOOFS :aktion033: YOU MIGHT GIVE IT A TRY....I BOUGHT MINE AT A HEALTH FOOD STORE. ANOTHER BENEFIT FROM THE FLAX SEED IS IT HELPS RID THE GUT OF SAND TOO.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=8pt]WHEN YOU GET SOME....PUT SOME IN A GLASS WITH WATER AND WAIT AWHILE AND LOOK WHAT IT DOES......NO WONDER MY GIRLS ARE SO SHINEY & PRETTY
default_yes.gif

hey there you can save a LOT of money if you buy it at the feed store instead... the health food store has "food" grade for people which looks the same to me but is much more expensive... we buy big bags of it at the feed store... can't remember exactly how much but i know it was WAY less than the "food" grade... we feed the flax seed and bran daily for a week, once a month, to help with the sand colic problem we could easily have here... and yes it is great for their hooves and coats as well
default_yes.gif
:

Thanks - I beleive I will give it a try
default_smile.png
Do you have to prepare it in any way? or just add it to feed?

[SIZE=8pt]THANKS FOR THE TIP ON GETTING IT THROUGH THE FEED STORE....I'LL HAVE TO SEE IF THEY CAN GET IT. AS FOR DOSAGE...I MIX IT IN THE BIT OF GRAIN I GIVE THEM EVERY BEDTIME
default_yes.gif
: (YES THEY ARE SPOLIED!) I GIVE ABOUT A HANDFUL.....JULIE YOU ARE GOING TO BE AMAZED AT HOW THEIR COATS LOOK AFTER JUST A FEW WEEKS.....I SHOULD EAT SOME AND SEE WHAT IT DOES FOR MY HOOFS & HAIR
default_wink.png

here's what we were told: you will have to adjust the amounts for your herd. we have 28 total so i use 3 cups in a gallon of water... let it sit about 24 hours (so each night i fix it after feeding, for the next night) - but do not save any leftovers and use them the next day, we were told it starts to ferment and that's bad, so be sure to clean your container well also... sorry no details on that, we just "follow the rules" LOL. anyway as the seeds soak they turn the water into a jelly, kinda sticky... i hate when i get it on my hands or clothes... when we are ready to feed we use a ladle and just stir and scoop, stir and scoop, to try and keep the ratio the same for everyone... kinda like italian salad dressing that you have to shake before putting on your salad, it tends to "separate" - the seeds sink to the bottom. anyway i give the little ones not quite a full ladle, and the pony-sized a ladle, and the "big" horses get 1 1/2 to 2... we just dump all their buckets of pellets into their feeders, then go back and dump in some bran and ladle the flax seed on top. everyone loves it - even the ones that are fussy about bran and won't eat much scarf up the seeds... :aktion033: even my daughter tried it! :new_shocked:

edited to say, we were told that the jelly, being sticky, picks up the sand from their intestines as it goes through.. someone elsewhere on the forum said that is a myth, it works for a different reason... but all i care is, it works! when we do a sand test (boy is THAT fun) we have way less than we used to...

ok before you ask... to do a sand test, pick up as much as you can of a fresh pile of poop, without getting the pieces that have sand or dirt sticking to the bottom of them from hitting the ground... put it in a bucket. add water and stir, the hay particles will float to the top and over the edge, keep stirring until the wtaer is clear, if you have more than a quarter teaspoon of sand in the bottom of the bucket that is too much. and a piece of advice i learned the hard way - do NOT use your BARE hands to stir!
default_blush.png
: i washed my hands countless times and still smelled like poop 3 days later!!! :smileypuke:

Last edited by a moderator:
HMMMM...NEVER THOUGHT OF GIVING IT TO THEM THAT WAY BEFORE...I AM NOT SO SURE THEY WOULD EAT IT WET LIKE THAT? I WAS TOLD TO MIX IT WITH GRAIN (DRY) I HAVE ALSO USED "GROUND FLAX SEED" AND DON'T RECOMMEND IT. THE WHOLE SEED HAS WORKED BEST FOR THE GIRLS
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back