Hoof nippers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dizze98765

Reaction score
We are at our wits end with farrier bills right now. We want to keep the farrier for the "problem horses/hooves" but there are a few that I would feel comfortable doing. I tried last year but got the 10" nippers/nail cutters and they kind of seemed like a joke. I'd like to invest in something that will last. I've read good reviews about the GE. I'm super short so i know I definitely want 12". Are DS comparable? Or is the extra $20-some in savings not worth it. It seems like anything below $100 gets unfavorable reviews. If they'd be garbage in a year I don't want to waste the money now! Should I just bite the bullet and pay the $160 for the GE? Thanks so much!

My question, how many are you doing??

I used Diamond 15" Nippers for about 4 years maybe 5 and they lasted well enough and did a wonderful job.

I just bought a set of GE FORGE Nippers and OH MY OH MY, its like a hot knife through butter.

However I am trimming and shoeing more horses now.

If you are just doing a few then just buy Diamond.

10" are NOT MADE for trimming hooves. They are a nail cutter. So many people are trying to sell them as a hoof nipper but they aren't.

Go with the big ones. Leverage and quality are always the best.

My question, how many are you doing??

I used Diamond 15" Nippers for about 4 years maybe 5 and they lasted well enough and did a wonderful job.

I just bought a set of GE FORGE Nippers and OH MY OH MY, its like a hot knife through butter.

However I am trimming and shoeing more horses now.

If you are just doing a few then just buy Diamond.

10" are NOT MADE for trimming hooves. They are a nail cutter. So many people are trying to sell them as a hoof nipper but they aren't.

Go with the big ones. Leverage and quality are always the best.
Thanks for answering! To answer your question, I am only doing 5. Would it not be worth it for me to invest in the GE? ...not that you can tell me the best way to spend my own money!
default_smile.png
I just didn't know how soon cheaper nippers would last.

I use the GE 12 ' nippers. They are very nice, even for doing the foals.. I even have the 15" and the 12" diamond nippers , but since Ive invested in the GE's they are all I use now.
default_yes.gif
:

The 12" "race track"(smaller more compact head) nippers are a very good size for minis. I bought the DS, and they are excellent. The GE's are also excellent, of course! I have been doing my own minis for over 20 years-as stated, the 10" horseshoe nail nippers are being WIDELY sold as 'hoof nippers' -and they were even back then, because that's what I 'struggled with' for years-UGH! When I finally was given info about GOOD hoof nippers(the 20-40 dollar, 15" ones in the livestock supply catalogs aren't really very good, either, IMO...), I bit the bullet and bought a pair, and BOY! SO much better! They 'can be' sent back and resharpened, too, I believe. With just a few horses, the DS should be FINE-but I would really recommend the size I mention above for miniatures. Get a QUALITY hoof knife, too-and I strongly recommend good leather gloves and a leather 'apron'-good tools work better partly because they are SHARPER, so use with care!

Margo-still doing all of my minis' feet at Social Security age...

I have Anvil Brand 12" and they work really well. They were only about $80. Definately invest the best you can afford it will pay off in the long run.

Karen

I am a professional farrier and I can tell you I have used most of the brands over the years and GE is the ONLY one I will use now. Linda

Latest posts

Back