Hoof abscess

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BFS_Simon_Says

Reaction score
Spirit had an abscess in his hoof a few months ago so yesterday when the farrier was out he he cut a good portion of that side of his hoof out...he was getting thrush in it pretty bad so to make a bad situation not quite so bad we did some preventative cutting. Anyway my farrier wants me to put Copperkare on the hole the put cotton balls over that and wrap the hook in duct tape. The tape wont' stick and I can't get ahold of my farrier. So I was thinking that maybe a large dog boot would work? Any suggestions?

I cannot remember who, but someone here, adjusted a childs running shoe.
default_wink.png
:

I once used size large "Build A Bear" boots readily avaiable (at used to) on Ebay for $5.00 a 4 foot set! Otherwise how about that stick to itself wrap stuff? Vet wrap? Good luck! Also use search on here for Build a bear" as it was on this forum at one time.

Maxine

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have a really small diaper you could ductape it around the ankle. It doesn't last forever, will have to replace. Now I have only used a diaper on a large horse, not a mini. But I would think the preemie size would work.

I have used duct tape successfully and it is really the best solution as it conforms to the foot and ankle and is durable enough to last till you redress it. Are you using silver duct tape and wrapping the tape across the bottom and then up over the hoof and back around to the bottom again? I have made a pad about the size of the hoof by taking short strips of tape just long enough to go across the bottom of the foot and up over the edge and building up a pad just on a table or other flat surface. You then take and wrap the duct tape pad onto the foot and then wrap long lengths of tape completely around the foot and up over the coronet to hold it on. You can use a covering of vet wrap underneath the duct tape layer that holds the pad on so that the duct tape doesn't stick to their hair on their coronet and fetlock. Be careful not to get it too tight. Hope this helps you!

You can also use an old sock. Put the cotton balls on as your farrier suggested, and put a sock on the hoof and then used some duct tape or vet wrap over it to help hold it in place.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had to keep a big hoof wrapped for awhile recently, used soft diaper-like padding on the bottom, elastikon over it and then duct tape to keep it all in place.

Jan

I have used regular diapers-The ones with the velcro tabs work great-you just have to be creative about wrapping them. Add a layer of vet wrap or duct tape on top and it worked well for us.

I am treating one on my donkey at the moment- what I have found effective is I treat the thrush and then apply the gauze pad wrap with vet wrap and then I make him a little bootie out of my feed sack-- It works at keeping the moisture out when he is outside for exercise- when he comes into the stall I just take the bootie off. :bgrin

we have a big horse that got a nail in its foot and the vet took it out and told us to soak it in epsom salt than with a antibiotic and wrap the foot with one of the pads you put under people in nursing homes, we cut it into and used vet wrap around the foot to hold it on. It worked great. Where she picked up the nail I don't know.

Thanks everyone, I'm now using a combo of duct tape and vetwrap...we've had so much rain the past couple days that the paddock looks like a pond so I also used the old feed bag idea which has worked great.

When I had one, my farrier gave me what's called "oakum" I think it was. It is used to repair wooden boats/ships. He packed it in the abscess void, as well a some stuff that was like thick grease, but was black. Then, I laid gauze over all of that, and then a sport sock, and taped it over her leg (be careful not to wrap too tightly with duct tape so you don't compromise circulation). I changed it daily and soaked the hoof in epsom salts and hot water prior to re-wrapping it.

I will admit that I kept my mare in as a rule, because I didn't want mud getting into that hole (it went in next to the frog and out the heel). Luckily the ground froze and I could let her out for limited times, but clean, dry bedding is the best bet at first, for sure.

I know this is way more information than you asked for, but my mare was all but fully recovered within 2 weeks, though it took some time for the hole to grow out completely.

Each case is different, for sure.

Liz M.

Latest posts

Back