Honest Confo Critique of My New Pony Please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FurstPlaceMiniatures

Reaction score
Feel free to be harsh too! He was free and I haven't had him long enough to be 'barn blind' smitten ;)

I know conformation very well (top 15 nationally for FFA horse judging back in the day! WOO!). He seems functional. Fancy mover. But I don't know driving! I have a trainer who I board with who seems to think he will be good. His temperment is PERFECT for driving so Im told - bold, fearless, interested in everyhting - when he 'spooks' he then goes towards it to see what it was!

He's about 48" tall, gelded of course. Unknown history. About 3 (maybe a long 2) yr old. Knees are almost closed. I call him "Edison." Thinking of calling him "Nothin Fancy" for a show name. How will he be for open shows? I live literally minutes from the famed Lorenzo driving competition, I think it would be cool to do once. Would he look out of place there? Should I stick to lower level shows?

If he doesnt work as a driving horse i plan to turn him over as a children's hunter. He's a bit pudgy, so please pardon that! We're working on it.

Head shot

And just for giggles - he loves to give kisses!

he is a cutie....sounds like he'll do well which ever way you take his training...have fun...

Sandi

He is so cute. I'm not a conformation expert but it sounds like he has the temperament for driving so that will be good.

Very cute head! He looks like he could be a section A Welsh or part Welsh. It's so hard to critique from a photo and with winter hair. It looks like he may be a bit cresty on the neck and/or a bit thick. You may get some better ideas from some others. But I think he would be very cute driving and certainly looks like a darling looking child's english/hunter pony if he has the talent. Oh, and cute names. Though I think he is a bit more than 'Nothin Fancy'- kind of 'Somethin Cute'- LOL!

Last edited by a moderator:
He is so cute, and I love his color. Have fun with him and keep us posted with whatever you decide to do with him.

He is so cute. Looks like I imagine "merrylegs" looked from the black beauty series. I love dapples. He has a very pretty head and I think you should get "smitten" and keep him. Lots of folks would love to enjoy him in their barn. He looks nice and strong too.

For the weight, you can try remission or quessience and that will greatly help your cause without making him feel starved. Give him plain fine grass hay and a supplement like enrich 32 or similar. Quessience and remission takes the crest down and smooths out the bumps. I started with remission but I am now feeding quessience because it is pelleted and they eat it better than when I put the powdered remission on their food.

I wouldn't evaluate him on conformation as yet because conditioned and slimmed down you will be surprised at what changes that can do. Me personally, I think he is gorgeous. He would make a nice pony hunter too. I like horses that look more quarter horsey and have a nice butt and shoulder and neck that will build muscle. He is what I prefer in looks is what I am saying. Many different styles out there and you will get many different answers depending on what folks personally like to see in a horse. If you like him, and like his personality, they you can't go wrong there at all. He is the "type" I like to see in my barn. Hope he gets to stay. cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all!

Yes, he has been started on remission and beet pulp like his 'big brother' is on. I thought I saw a lot of welsh too!

I've only ever bought 1 other horse with resale intents. 3 yrs later and he is my 'non biological child!' I wouldn't trade Cloudy for the world.

Who knows with this guy. My fear is he will not drive like his 'big brother.' Somebody destroyed Cloudy, and while he is dead quiet he is absolutely not safe to drive. But, if that's the case he will be an excellent hunter!

Latest posts

Back