High Price of shows

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tammy C

Reaction score
With the bad shape the economy is in on both sides of the boarder, do you think with lower show costs, would you show more. I was very shocked at the cost of our classic show this year. Last year we had 3 judges in 1 day, this year we have 4 judges over 2 days 2 each day and the cost is double for my daughter and myself to show both days 30 classes each day X 15 is 450 x2 plus all the other costs it will cost more than $1,200 I feel that is crazy. When our club is to be a family club I have meet a lot of people in the minis in a short time and if the price was lower there would be alot more out if the price was lower. Which would be better for all.

Wow - 15 classes per day! That's a lot of classes. You could reduce your own costs by reducing the number of classes.

Most shows don't make much of a profit. If they are, that's great because most clubs who put on the shows do good things for their members and community.

The show is charging $7.50 per judge per class. that's pretty cheap. That has to cover the cost of the judges (usually $400 and up each, depending on travel and hotels), the grounds (the fairgrounds here are over $1,000 per day), Stall fees, plus the ribbons and trophies, and incidentals (computer paper, ink, etc), Manager for the show, Steward (if AMHR). When I managed a show 15 years ago, I charged $5 per judge per class.

So if I'm figuring it right, $15 per class isn't really all that bad any more. Sure I'd like to show for $5 per class, but I'm afraid those days are behind us!
default_no.gif

The main place I see show costs up are in the incidentals - hotel costs, gas, shavings, maybe stalls..... Sounds like you basically have gone from one show to two, with an increase in judges. Actually saves you money if you don't have to haul to two separate shows and pay gas, hotel etc for two weekends instead of one. But your point was the cost of showing and yes, it is expensive! We have cut down this year to just what we need to get qualified and I know lots of folks have done the same. Don't know the answer to lowering costs, as it just takes a lot to put on a show. A one day, trailer tie show is an option for a "fun" show if it's nearby - maybe a good option for clubs now - but the 2 show/longer weekend is a better value.

Jan

If prices were lower I would definitely show more.

That said, around here open classes are $40 each and amateur classes are $25 each. So $15/class sounds really good to me.

Edited to add that the above price was for a 4 judge show. So the open class was $10/judge/class and amateur was $6.25/judge/class.

Last edited by a moderator:
most of our classes are $15-25 each so I guess it doesnt seem near as bad now reading what you guys are paying!!! and it still feels like I am paying too much...I am just trying to limit myself to maybe 2 shows per month even though there are more that I would want to go to if there werent so many expenses.

$15.00 bucks a class is a darn good deal. how many horses are you bringing to show 30 classes each day? I would guess the best way to cut back is to cut your class list and perhaps the number of horses

I understand you feel the economy is bad so you do not have the money to pour into a expensive hobby but the economy is no different for those putting on the show who have to pay for ribbons,judges, stewards, grounds, insurance, transportation for officals, accomodations for officals, food for them as well not to mention do and put in all the work.

Seems shows can not win- people want cheap cheap cheap but they want those rosettes and oh ya two day shows cheap stalls and plenty of classes (who doesnt want that I do to lol) but a cheaper show is a 1 day show and those do not get a lot of support many do not feel they get more bang for their buck that way a catch 22 for all

Most shows are not a huge money making venture and a majority are happy to break even - not just now but always have been

I think clubs feel that since they need to break even, they should charge a lot for a show to cover their costs. Which, in my opinion, keeps a lot of potential showers away. If they kept their prices down, perhaps more people would be willing to show, then they can make thier money by quantity.

I know Lincoln Nebraska is having a show this year and their prices are very low. Unfortunatly, it is a 1 day show and I can not justify driving 7 hours for a 1 day show. Perhaps show committies should look into this too. When asking people to drive a long distance, we want as many classes as we can get.

Unfortunatly, all of the clubs around us feel they should have 1 day shows. 1 for AMHR and 1 for AMHA.( 1 club is even including ASPC this year with twice as many classes as AMHA). The AMHR shows have at least 50 more classes then the AMHA shows, and AMHA people are the ones who have to qualify for the World Show for each class they enter, where AMHR just has to show up at 2 shows to qualify for the Nationals.
default_new_shocked.gif
It makes it even harder for us to qualify.

This is our last year to be able to just go to two shows in order to qualify, but we still have to enter all of the classes we want to get into at the World Show. Since these 1 days shows do not have all of the clases, we then have to try and hardship our horses into the classes not available to us. Frustrating to say the least. No wonder so many people are moving to Texas to be closer to as many shows as they want.

Where we show here in the midwest, you can show in all eligable classes for $60.00 which is great if you have an older horse that is in halter and performance and that is with 3 or 4 judges. It is the stall fees of $55.00 per horse that I think is too high and even though you can put two horses in a stall, most of the time they don't get along or you have a mare and foal or a stallion that can't be in with any others. I know some of the facilities are nice, but I'd rather go to a show with only two judges and reasonable stalls to have fun. So basically, yes, the fees are too high for me anyway.

I much prefer shows that offer some type of "all day fee" for a horse/exhibitor combo that usually amounts to a bit more than the total for 3 classes. This might not save money for those who bring lots of horses just for halter, but it really benefits those of us who like to show in a lot of performance classes. Kind of the way people show big horses.... Maybe it would even encourage people who don't have the "show quality" minis to come out and just have fun.

High Price of shows, (if lower prices would you show more

To answer your question, I'd say probably YES.

Our business has been in the gutter since last October...... we almost lost it; and it is just now bouncing back. For me to close up on a business day to take off for a show, and dump a mortgage payment into a horse show just because I want to have fun and take a gamble on a horse in the ring, is just not feasible for me.

Yup, $15.00 a class is cheap and a very reasonable price. I paid double that for entree fees.

I know this terrible economy is taking it's toll on everyone but I really don't think that most shows are out of line in their pricing. There is a large amount of up front money that it takes to get a show started. Ribbons are outrageous in price, however, most people want nice ribbons. I do support one day shows. They are harder on me but they are generally cheaper and you have to remember that a one day show with mulitple judges count as a show per judge. I personally do not like flat fees. I have seen too many shows go on forever since folks will enter the class and not have the horse prepared for it. It adds alot of time to the show. I think I must be very lucky as in our area the prices are just not that bad. I sure hope times get better for all of us and that we don't lose too many of our shows due to the economy. So far this year I have attended to one day shows and the numbers have been pretty good. Maybe a bit down from previous years but the quality of horses has been great. I do think it is especially hard on folks with youth as they have the additional expenses of youth classes. I would ask that everyone think creatively on how they can cut their expenses is other ways. I think some of these shows are very lucky to break even as it is.

Arlene

I think for performance and all around people, the flat rate max per horse is a really good thing. Other than that, I agree with most people on here. I see the rising costs being in the incidentals related to showing, not the show rates.

I showed just a little in minis ten years ago. I was paying $10 per judge per class then. The two shows we attended this summer were also $10 per judge per class, ten years later. I know the costs of putting on the shows have increased since then so i was honestly surprised they were not higher than this.

I am seeing a lot more of the max rates per horse for a day and I think that is good. If anything, we would be more encourage to attend those type of shows if a choice between two.

I checked all the other show programs that I have receivied this season and $15.00 per class is pretty reasonable in my opinion. My sugestion is to cut back on some of your classes and maybe some of the horses you are taking. Example color class maybe liberty ,amateur, classes and see if that makes it less costly for you.

$15 Dollars per class is a good deal. We pay $18 -$32 per class and it also depends if it is amateur or Open. Our avg stall price is $55 with out shavings. We had to cut out one show this year and cut back on a few classes. Sounds like You are very busy at your shows you might want to cut back on # of classes or number of horses you take if you want to save some money.

$15 a class is CHEAP. Most around here are $20-35 a class. Even in the OK circuit it's $80 flat fee and that still averages more than $15.

It's the stall fees that can be killers, though, and I'm pretty sure the venue sets that, not the show.

As it is, I will probably only hit one or two shows this year. I just can't afford it.

Lucy

I think the best thing going around here is the increase in AMHA/AMHR combination weekends. Katy this weekend will be AMHR on Friday, AMHA on Sat/Sunday. One haul, one weekend, 2 shows and qualifying towards both World and Nationals! Sure works for me.
default_smile.png

Jan

l got an entry for a show prices were about in line with what l expected...what was a deciding factor for me was the fact that l needed to pay 5 bucks for any horse entered just to get the number you wear on your back :DOH! for some reason that little detail didn't make my day and l threw the whole works in the trash....
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png

I did not mean to offend any one, but we have only 3 shows here that are point shows 1 is 60 unlimited classes I think the other I am not sure how much unlimited. I try and work hard with my horses and feel they are good horses. This is our second year showing minis I feel the more you show they better you become so if I cut classes how will that benefit me our my horses. I know I was told there are shows that are unlimited $ in the west and in the U.S. I am sorry for asking this but there are others in the MHCO that have the same feeling as me but dont want to say. I guess suck it up and bite the bullet and pay the fees. Or sell the minis and go back to barrels (Im just kidding)

$15 class is a good deal!

Your problem isn't the $15 a class for 4 judges (that's an AMAZING deal), your problem is how many classes you've entered.

$15 for 4 judges is amazing. $15 for 2 judges is still a heck of a good deal.

If you really don't like the cost and are determined to enter that many classes, keep your money in your pocket and go to shows that offer flat fees.

Another option which is usually a lot less expensive is to go to local open shows. For those who want to show just to have fun and are not worried about points this may be the way to go.

Not only is it less expensive but it allows you to show your minis in a place that maybe does not see a lot of minis?

Most open shows here are about 5 bucks a class and they offer year end high point awards

Latest posts

Back