Heritage Sale

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Louise

Reaction score
Would anyone happen to have the prices for theHeritage mini sale? Would also like to know how themini donkeys sold.

Thanks in advance for sharing with those of us that had to stay home.

default_please.gif
:

Louise

Last edited by a moderator:
:lol: Just finished talking with Lonnie. Gracious guy.....he's talking with me while slip/sliding down the freeway. :xreiter:

Wanted to see how the sale went AND asked if he'd be kind enough to send prices sometime this week.

:aktion033: Oh I hope he does!

Boy do I hear him on the slip-sliding along issue! It started snowing here yesterday at 2pm and hasn't let up! We will certainly need this moisture this spring, so I won't complain toooooo much I guess :bgrin

Just wanted to bump this back up . I would also like to know how the prices were at the sale.
default_yes.gif
:

I have all the prices for the miniature horses if you want you can contact me directly at [email protected] . The snow did keep some people away, but there was still a decent group there to buy. There was also some really nice horses. It looks like the mares averaged around the $500-550 mark and the stallions were a bit less. The high selling horse was Northern Lights Commanche Black Magic.

$500 DOLLARS? You're kidding? The bring that much through the auction here. Yikes!

That is something I hate about auctions. Ever since they started having mini auctions here the prices go lower and lower...really hurts the market. What I have noticed though is some who buy at those prices will ask 3 times that price for what they have
default_unsure.png
: . We don't need to ask why people want to buy directly, at auction prices.
default_sad.png
I truly hope I never have to sell at an auction and not know who the horse ends up with. Mary

$500 DOLLARS? You're kidding? The bring that much through the auction here. Yikes!

Are those normal prices for this auction does anyone know? or was it much lower this year?

Although I must be honest I have had more then a few emails and phone calls for horses in this price range they want them registered and sometimes bred and with guarantees but.. like someone else said guess it makes sense when they see/hear/read of minis going for this price and I am sure more often then we would like.

There was a lady came in my office today wanting to know if I knew where she could pick up a mini for around $100 or $150 :new_shocked: I told her good luck, and she said that is how much she paid for one several years ago at an auction....

There was a lady came in my office today wanting to know if I knew where she could pick up a mini for around $100 or $150 :new_shocked: I told her good luck, and she said that is how much she paid for one several years ago at an auction....
Terri,

I bet we can both guess where and from whom she got that one, too. Probably wormy, with strangles and maybe a registration application...

All kinds of them selling at mini auctions for that price :no: Colts even go for $100.00!! [sale last fall]Tibbs brought a yearling black and white, A&R registered colt advertised as "should produce amazing color" which sold for $500.00. Mares advertised as "could be shown" for $375.00. Of course the colts are advertised as "stallion prospects" so they can go on and produce even more of these $100.00 minis.
default_sad.png
Think my biggest shocker though was to see a 2 year old colt that was a Reserve National Futurity Champion and Top Ten National Champion..sell for $1,100.00 :no: Isn't it overbreeding/too many horses on hand that leads to selling like that? I guess some breeders can afford to do that as long as they also get several thousand for others. Of course most all the mares are always "pasture exposed" True, it is a free country where most anything a person does is acceptable but where does responsibility come in for the future of the horses? Mary

Isn't it overbreeding/too many horses on hand that leads to selling like that?

Well, overbreeding is always a concern. But there is also the perception that anything at an auction is only there because it didn't (or couldn't) sell any other way.

OK....I am convinced. Breeding any more babies is not a good idea. I wanted to purchase a couple mares but the mares I wanted were so far out of my price range I was discouraged. Locally every one I saw was definitely NOT the quality I am looking for. I have the space, time and, I think, knowledge but it just does not seem feasible either financally or emotionally. Maybe I can find a couple of long yearlings reasonably priced. Anyone had any sucess with buy young horses, handling and fitting for re-sale or just maintaining for your own pleasure? Seems like there ought to be a ton of nice geldings out there at a reasonable price.

I think there should be a market for quiet well-mannered solid colored geldings--but I have been wrong before.

Just wanted to throw in my comments here. I do agree that auction prices do bring down the prices that we can ask for other animals on a private sale market, however, some people who buy their first horses this way get HOOKED. When they are hooked and start looking for other animals, they may come directly to farms. Also, some of the people who purchase horses at auction aren't looking for the "National Champion" but are only looking for a pet. I think that we could all learn a lesson from this! I try to pick out a couple of my colts each year (yes, even the nice ones) and sell them for reasonable prices to get them into homes and get people interested. I have sold horses to people who can afford to pay thousands, yet treat the horses poorly (I've found out). I would rather GIVE a horse to someone who will love and care for it than have it not be cared for the way I want.

The SOS sale is a long-running sale, family oriented and a good get-together place for people to meet. Come on, who of us wouldn't want to find the diamond in the rough and have it win for us? If it can be combined with the atmosphere alone at this sale that's great!

Finally, and I'll probably get eaten alive for this, it is unfair to say that these sales are responsible for overbreeding within the miniature horse industry. If you say that the person who produces 2-3 babies a year "just for fun" is flooding the market, then what are you saying about the "reputable breeders" who are producing 50-60 each year? You're right, the backyard breeder may not produce a show champion, but they only have a selection of a couple each year. If I could have 60 colts each year, I would probably be gracing the covers of magazines as well with my champions! Where do you think that some of the "not-so-show-quality" animals from some of these farms end up?

I do agree the auctions themselves are not to blame- good or bad- they are only exploiting the market which is exactly what they are set up to do.

The people that are sending horses to the auction bear the responsibility for their actions and they are what makes it good or bad.

If nice horses go through in good condition and make fair, maybe average prices that in turn encourages the auctioneers to require higher standards but, at the end of the day, they run this as a business and are there to sell what is on offer, nothing more.

The responsibility for how the animals are treated and cared for whilst they are at the market and going through the ring is, however, entirely that of the auctioneers and it is within their remit to demand the animals are all fed and watered and handled correctly.

It is also the responsibility of the people at the sale to require these standards are enforced and Yes, of course, I have done it.

It is amazing just how embarrassing it can be to have a Hobbit shouting at you every time you poke a horse with a stick.

This was a cattle market primarily, used to dealing with cattle as opposed to horses, but I got it changed.

No more prodding of the horses!!

Gosh, that was a long time ago.

So stand up and be counted, if the need arises.

I agree with what Adam says. There are lots of circumstances where people need to sell their horses.......and sometimes quickly. Maybe a divorce, or they got in "over their head." Life happens and it's not always pleasant.

I went to a sale at a local sale barn last December because I heard that someone was dispersing their herd of miniatures. I thought, "Gosh, December is really a poor time to be trying to sell horses!" My husband and I went and met with the owner of the horses before the sale. I could tell that he truly did not like the fact that he was "having to sell" all of his horses. It seemed that maybe he was the one who wanted the horses......and not his wife. They had moved to a new home with no land for horses......and had sold the farm. I felt very bad for this man. He had bought some very nice horses from a reputable "show breeder." My husband and I bought a very nice mare, in foal, and she will have a very good home! I would have bought more, but we don't have enough cross fencing done.........and hubby says we have plenty! LOL!

And, sure enough, these registered horses brought very low prices!

It's just unfortunate that sometimes horses must be sold this way.
default_sad.png

Just wanted to throw in my comments here. I do agree that auction prices do bring down the prices that we can ask for other animals on a private sale market, however, some people who buy their first horses this way get HOOKED. When they are hooked and start looking for other animals, they may come directly to farms. Also, some of the people who purchase horses at auction aren't looking for the "National Champion" but are only looking for a pet. I think that we could all learn a lesson from this! I try to pick out a couple of my colts each year (yes, even the nice ones) and sell them for reasonable prices to get them into homes and get people interested. I have sold horses to people who can afford to pay thousands, yet treat the horses poorly (I've found out). I would rather GIVE a horse to someone who will love and care for it than have it not be cared for the way I want.

The SOS sale is a long-running sale, family oriented and a good get-together place for people to meet. Come on, who of us wouldn't want to find the diamond in the rough and have it win for us? If it can be combined with the atmosphere alone at this sale that's great!

Finally, and I'll probably get eaten alive for this, it is unfair to say that these sales are responsible for overbreeding within the miniature horse industry. If you say that the person who produces 2-3 babies a year "just for fun" is flooding the market, then what are you saying about the "reputable breeders" who are producing 50-60 each year? You're right, the backyard breeder may not produce a show champion, but they only have a selection of a couple each year. If I could have 60 colts each year, I would probably be gracing the covers of magazines as well with my champions! Where do you think that some of the "not-so-show-quality" animals from some of these farms end up?

28_4_11.gif
The weather did put a big damper on things.

We totaled up numbers and there was only about 1/3 of the people than we have had in the past. Combine more horses than in the past with less people and yes prices were down. I bought a mare out of Roberts estate, I went figuring she would cost between $2,000 and $2,500. I paid $1,250 for a five year old black pinto, 32" AMHA DNA'd daughter of Simmon Sonny, granddaughter of Texan's Playboy bred for 2007 so I guess you would say the market was off.

Few no-sales though, those that did brave the storm were rewarded with some very nice horses at prices anyone could afford. I won't say who but someone here now owns a gorgeous ASPC soon to be AMHR also stallion.
default_whistling.gif
:

I have bought a large percentage of my herd through Sales, very few of which I have regretted. Here is only a small sampling of horses I've bought from a SOS run sale.

blue2.jpg

bobbiesidfence.jpg
th_NoTux.jpg
th_lhrdaughter.jpg
th_grovecreek1.jpg

We have also sold quite a few on auctions. Horses that have went on to be National halter Champions have been sold through the doors.

th_ekrightside2.jpg
th_baystudcoltnice.jpg
th_bluefilly5.jpg

th_squire1.jpg
th_bob7.jpg
th_baby2.jpg
th_Maserati.jpg

If I was to start posting photos of foals by mares that were purchased it would take up a huge amount of space so I'll just list one.

accesscodeblue1.jpg

This sale has run for over 40 years making it one of oldest, if not the oldest one of it's kind. Actually there is no other sale that I know of in the Nation that is like the Heritage Sale. We are also one of the highest regulated sale as well as we are also an "exotic" sale. We are very accustom to having in the stands State Vets who have no vested intrest nor are they on the "payroll". Their only concern is to oversee that both the regulations are adhered too and that things proceed in a humane fashion.

I will also add that I consider the people that come to the sale "family". Many of the people that come I have known all my life, I call them by first name and they likewise call me by mine. Like most families you have a wide diversity of people. You have the rednecks, the whitecollars, those you only admitt to knowing at a family renunion and those that are known everywhere they go, respected by everyone and then there are the trolls that smile at your face and run their mouth behind your back.

Where in South Dakota is this sale again?

I am on the far southwest corner of Wyoming but if we ever happened to have a "nice" February I would love to go see it for the miniature horse part.

Is it always in the winter time?

Susan O.

As far as I can remember the sale has been in February. I guess it brings a whole new meaning to "horse fever" when you trudge through snow, sleet and rain to go to a sale. In fact, we have just started booking our motel room for an extra day as it seems we always get snowed in. That's just part of the fun! We look forward to the sale every year because we get to see "the gang" again and hear about the upcoming foaling, showing, etc... that is just ahead.

I know Marlee showed some of her beautiful horses that were purchased via the SOS sale. You can check out my website to see some others. One of my most beautiful mares (and one that we have frequent offers to sell) was purchased on the sale a few years ago. She has since gone on to earn multiple championships and National titles.

I want to give kudos to the Sharping family! Like Marlee said, this sale has been going on for over 40 years - there's a reason. The Sharpings tell it like it is, stand by the animals on the sale and accurately reflect each animal there. Also, I know that if I need anything, they are always first in line to help out! That's just the kind of people they are!

Latest posts

Back