here are the pics

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't see him as Grullo at all, red dun maybe but I don't think so.

Here is a crappy picture of grullo filly we have.

envypizzaz.jpg

He is not a Grullo but he does look as if he is a Bay Dun- did he have a Dun parent??

Bays do get "false Dorsals" but not usually when they are that typical "Yellow Dun" colour as well
default_smile.png

From those pictures, he is a dun also known as zebra dun. A dun is a bay horse with the dun gene so this may be why some think he is only a bay. Duns vary in shades from dark to light - I also think you will find yours will be a lighter shade when he coats out (or you clip him!) in the spring. Some line backed bays can have shadowing which is mistaken for a dorsal stripe but they are not true duns - your boy has a dorsal stripe that is a true dorsal stripe. Not every dun has every last bit of dun factor. To be a red dun he would be chestnut or sorrel with red dun factor. A grullo is a black horse with black dun factor. Actually if you go to the www.IBHA.com

site you can find more examples and descriptions of duns also go to http://www.americanbuckskin.org/abra/

These are both color registries and because duns can change in color so much in the first year, you can only get a temporary registration and then apply with pictures for permanent papers after they attain their calendar first birthday. Both sites have pictures for examples

At www.IBHA.com all I found was a site "under contruction" by "barginname.com."

Latest posts

Back