Help !

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Margot

Reaction score
I have not registered this filly yet since I can't decide what color she is. When she was born she appeared to be a palomino medicine hat with just a little color on her ears and the top of her head. After I clipped her all the color was gone and this picture taken about a month ago shows a little tannish color in her mane tail and forelock. I clipped her head with a #10 and still saw no color on her head. To me she now apears to be maybe a perlino but I can't forget about the pinto coloring when she was born. her parents are both buckskin pintos. She has two blue eyes, white eyelashes and pinky skin. Ths is the only picture I have on my website but I can e-mail baby pics if anyone wants them. Probably AMHA will call her perlino or cremello since she looks to be white.

2006foal2.jpg

It's hard to tell from that picture-- probably why you've had so many lookie-lous without comments. How about a close up picture of her head? That might help. And maybe some of her lower legs too.

She could be a palomino. Pretty much all of my palominos, except one have done that.

I have a palomino medicine hat mare here who when born could see her markings. As a yearling she was white, now as a two year old when she is shed out you can faintly see her hat, but the rest of her markings you dont see until she is wet.

She's lovely Margot! I just love her look. I'd go with palomino but you could call the registry and ask to email pics of her as a baby and now to see what they think. I'd love to see a pic of her when she had her hat on.

IMO she looks like a cremello-but for $25.00 just have her tested for the cream (Cr) gene and if she comes back with CrCr you know she is either a pinto cremello or perlino - she looks cremello in that pic because the points on a perlino are usually an orangish tint but it could be I can't see it due to the small size of the picture. I can faintly see the medicine hat also - I believe you will find that will"grow" in as her hair gets longer as it is hard to tell the true color of some clipped horses

Again for $25 test her for the red (which also tests for black)- if she tests homozyous red (ee) then you know she is a cremello. If she tests Ee or EE for black then a perlino because she does not visually look like a smoky cream.

If this was a filly I was going to keep as a broodmare down the road, I would also test for Agouti which is the gene that modifies black to bay. Both ee horses (these horses hide the gene as Agouti only modifies black horses) and Ee,EE can have it but the info knowing that she carried 1 or 2 of the Agouti genes can help you make decisions on what color foals you can have - for example if she was homozygous for agouti then she would never have smoky black foals or smoky black and white foals so you would know not to get your hopes up for 11 months of waiting when you bred her to a black and white national champion!

Of course, breeding for color or a pattern is perfectly okay as long as you are breeding for the whole package and not just for color!

She could be a palomino too - if your cream test comes back Crcr- only 1 gene of the cream gene then she is a palomino - it's just that 2 blue eyes are indicative of a double dilute but some pinto patterns throw that too- do either of the parents have blue eyes? - of course, they could both carry a recessive gene for blue eyes. Still, the tests are well worth the money so you know exactly what you have. If she came up as a palomino I myself would still test for Agouti.

She looks like a cutie, enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think she will probably turn out to be a maximum white Palomino base Splash- but as said, test her and then you will know for sure!!

i suspect maximum white sabino. i read in the book "Horse Color Explaned" that white sabinos are often born with color in the mane, ears, and top of head. then later it grows out and the horse is all white. you say both parents are both pintos? maybe one is sabino, you just can't see it. that's what i would guess, only based on the book, as i have little breeding experience. just a thought
default_smile.png

I checked out your website, but couldn't figure out which ones her parents are. there was one buckskin pinto mare i saw that looked to have sabino, but i don't know. is the stallion in your avatar her sire?

default_wub.png
: anyways, she sure is a cutie!!!
default_wub.png
:

The stallion in my avatar is her sire and he has two blue eyes, most of his pinto foals have at least one blue eye. The dam is a brown eyed buckskin pinto, RDS Sweet Chocos Lady( a daughter of Oak Forest Pizazz, a pinto and a solid color dam), who has never had a pinto until she was bred to Tuffy, last year it was a bay pinto colt. I may register her as cremello and just wait to see what she looks like as she ages and than change her color when I am sure or do some testing. She will be staying here , so far I have sold none of Tuffy's fillies, I want to keep them all for myself :bgrin I don't really breed for color, it is just that Tuffy while not homozygous throws a lot of pinto. My other stallion, the National Champion Ten Ls Splendors After Dark Design is a bay pinto but we have just started breeding with him so who knows what he will throw color-wise. I also have a dark buckskin stallion from LK Supreme Dream and a Buckeroo daughter who so far is throwing either dark buckskin or palomino. I rather enjoy being surprised.

IMO i think hes a cremelo.. but he could also be a palomino or even a pinto of some kind nice little fellow though!
default_wub.png
:
default_yes.gif
:

If she were a cremello she would of not had ANY color when she was born.

Can you post her baby pic as well?

My biggest pet peeve is horses who are registured the wrong color. Dont know why but it really bothers me(maybe its because of having to fight to get horses registured there right color)

I only have the one picture posted on my website but would be happy to e-mail it privately to any one who would like to see it.Just send an e-mail to [email protected] I do not like to register the horses the wrong color and have had papers corrected in the past but I am well aware there are a bunch of horses registered the wrong color, especially if they carry a silver gene.

If she were a cremello she would of not had ANY color when she was born.
Not always true! I had a cremello AQHA mare (when I got her she was registered APHA, but then AQHA accepted them and I got her AQHA registration as well.)

Anyway, her foal photos showed her as a very light palomino - but dark enough that you could see her blaze and 4 white socks. By the time I got her at 4, the only way you could see her markings was to clip them and then get her wet - there was a marginal difference in the colors of the pink skin underneath.

Cremellos will have pink skin all over. If you can see her blaze and socks even when wet, she isnt a cremello.

Ashley I am sorry I do not agree.

My Cremellos have always been born a rich cream colour and there has always been a couple of days when their colour was in doubt.

I have never had a blue eyed Palomino, they were definitely Cremello.

This filly is different because there is a definite Pinto pattern present.

What Cremellos do not do is have isolated colour on their ears- they can certainly have white socks and a blaze and also be full Pintos, and still be Double Dilutes.

I still think this filly is a Palomino base, Maximum White Medicine Hat- the colour does often fade with Sabino Medicine Hats- Jeanette Gower did get at least that right and there is an excellent picture in her book of just this.

If this foal had color at birth she is not just cremello, she was at least cremello pinto.

I agree she is a max white sabino, but for the color you wil have to test, she can be sorrel, palomino or cremello, even perlino.

Ashley even cremello´s can be pinto and the pinto spots are definaty visible, cremello´s are light but not as light as white markings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's an example:

Our cremello pinto filly from this year:

photo's are from her at her first day on this planet. She showed the pinto markings and a snip the first months. Now, she's turned totally 'white'...

grasscorners_emblems_elegance_0030.jpg

head with snip:

grasscorners_emblems_elegance_cremello_filly_0530.jpg

Latest posts

Back