Help with skin problem

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrea loves minis

Reaction score
I was grooming my mare last night and noticed at the tip of her tail bone she has yellow flaking skin. It's almost sticky, easy to scratch off but hard to remove from her hair. Not sure what it is, or if it's a contagious skin problem? Any ideas?

Has she been rubbing her tail? Sometimes they rub to the point of making their skin raw, which then serum somes to the surface, and its yellowish and kind of sticky. A little betadine or any wound spray you might have should help it. If she's itching her tail, it might mean her udder is dirty, they'll collect gunk between the halves of their udder. I use hypo-allergenic baby wipes to clean the udders.

that could be. She does rub her bum once in a while. Her udders are clean though. I clean them on a regular basis. She is also wormed regularly. Will it just go away?

I've seen infections on the tip of the tail.. Had vet prescribe a medicated shampoo and then dermolone ointment to appy after.

Yes, wash her tail with medicated shampoo. If the area looks fine except for that, you might just massage in a good ointment instead of washing the whole tail. They usually love having their tailbones massaged!

Another thought is a tick. Sometimes they will leave a spot like that after they fall off. Maybe you don't have ticks there...

thanks for the suggestions I'll talk to the vet tomorrow. We do have ticks but its more than just a spot. Its about an inch by inch in size

Latest posts

Back