HELP PLEASE!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MtnShadowsFarm

Reaction score
Yup, the little stinker has taken to chewing chunks out of the tails of select herd members..not just mom. In fact, until yesterday..not even mom!

Is there something non toxic and non irritating to the tail that I can put on the tails to keep her from doing this??? I was thinking about RapLast which is mostly cayanne pepper, but am afraid it will irritate the horse I spray it on.

Help please!!
default_unsure.png
:

Felicia

Oh dear Felicia, our neighbors had a filly start doing this and they had to seperate her completely from everyone- thank heavens she was old enough to wean. I know once they start doing this, they are HARD to break and I would be concerned about hairballs!

I haven't had the problem directly- but I have heard everything from hot sauce to soap? I wonder if there are any harmless products to spray on that would work??

found this info:

Mane and Tail Chewing Horse chews on herdmate's manes or tails causing an unsightly appearance. Can cause intestinal obstructions. Lack of roughage or minerals. Playfulness. Boredom.

Hi Laurie,

..and yes, her first victim was Lance! They are best buddies..silly girl :no:

I'm definitly concerned about hair ingestion as well. I work at an equine hospital and you'd be amazed what comes out of horses during colic surgery!

I've been rubbing Irish Spring soap on the "victims", but it's a pain and very short lived efficacy....

Go for the RapLast, never had a problem before with irritation unless you are standing downwind when you spray
default_smile.png
Works wonders on tails.

Let me know if you find a cure........... We sold three horses to some friends few years back. They had goats at that time that started chewing the tails of all three horses. One was chewed down to about two inches below the tail bone ( called goat burn). They could not show the horse this year at all. They got rid of the goats but too late, " monkey see, monkey do" - the gelding had now started to chew on the other two horses tails. The owner is putting MTG on the tails to try to get them to grow faster.

I bought a mini and he was chomping on other horses tails where I got him from and the owner said she used vicks vapor rub on the other horses - she would apply it to the top of the tails and he stayed away from them.She said that if he started doing it again to put that on the ones he attacks- well thank god he has not done it because I really hate the stuff on my hands ,when my kids get a cold and need some on I have to call hubby to do it, will not even put it on myself I would rather suffer with a cold then use it. So not sure how good it is but I guess it must have worked because he does'nt do it now.

Well there are several products for dogs as well....try bitter apple spray...no it does not taste like yummy apples alot more like bitters.................ick.............I know alot of horses who actually LIKE the hot pepper deterents
default_wacko.png
: in fact a friends cribber loved tobasco :new_shocked:

my colt was a hair chewer and seperation was the best solution...........he lived with a gelding who wouldn't let him chew............otherwise he lived on a fenceline with friends...................he chewed off several manes before I realized it was him and not the sheep
default_rolleyes.gif
:

LISTERNE IN A SPRAY BOTTLE

Will keep her breath smelling minty clean too! :aktion033:

She chewed LANCE'S TAIL?!!!! :nono: BAD filly!!! (LOL!)

I have used the REALLY hot Hot Sauce..(it comes from New Orleans with a guy in a chefs hat on the bottle..) one chomp and.... :new_shocked:

How bad did she get it..?

Suzy Hooper

Show Horses by Suzy

Fresno, CA

Suzy,

She's not chewing length, just nice even CHUNKS! So far I think we're ok, especially with wraping it up and some MTG.

Won't the RapLast stain? We use it at work and it seems to leave streaks where it was applied. Most of the chew victims has light/ flaxen tails......

Won't the RapLast stain? We use it at work and it seems to leave streaks where it was applied. Most of the chew victims has light/ flaxen tails......
Of course they do! She isn't going to make this EASY on you, lol!

"No Chew" spray may do it, it is colorless. I've used it for wood chewers. You can get it in a spray bottle.

Now, does your filly have toys, and a mineral block (or loose minerals), and plenty of hay? Just checking...

Latest posts

Back