Help needed what colour is he

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

dmhstacy

Reaction score
I have to register this colt (he is one i am growing on)

But I can not work out what his base colour is.

firstly the history.

Sire: Black Sabino (has been producing black & bay foals)

Gsire: Silver Dapple pinto

Gdam: Bay Sabino

Dam: Chestnut Pinto

Gsire: Chestnut appy sabino

gdam: chestnut pinto

photo shows him as foal with his dam

and then a zoomed in shot of his colour when clipped ( i know clipped makes it hard).

Now (i dont have a current photo) he appears black

I know he is sabino

But the base colour I dont know.

He has a bit of white coming thorugh his mane & tail - but i thought that might be the sabino

Last edited by a moderator:

justjinx

Reaction score
His base color appears to be black.

He also appears to have the sabino white hairs spread through his black hairs.

jennifer

Meavey

Reaction score
He looks silver dapple in the baby pic.

Do you have more pictures of him older unclipped and clipped, and with him completely on it?

Dona

Reaction score
I agree....it's very hard to tell from clipped photos...and photos that only show a small area of the horse. For instance......a Silver Bay will many times look just like a Silver Dapple...but in full coat, will have the red coloring again & be readily identified as a Silver Bay. Clipped colors can be so deceptive. But the dam's forelock DOES suggest that she may be carrying the silver gene....so that is a "possibility".

I'm having pretty much the same problem with my colt. He was born Bay Sabino/Frame Overo. Clipped out looking very dark brown..almost black. But that is common on bays when clipped. His body hair came back in red & I assumed his lower legs would start growing back in black (as they would on a bay)....but they have grown in a silvery gray? His mane & tail are definitely black & no silver in his background. Maybe his legs will blacken with age, but he is sure a strange color combination right now. I've had many bay babies & haven't seen this particular coloring on the lower legs before.

Tammie-C_Spots

Reaction score
I think he's a chestnut sabino. I think he'll get adult color like his mom. If dad is a black he would have to be bred to a bay mare or a chestnut carrying a agouti (aka bay gene) because a black cannot hide bay. I love his white face

Tammie

Latest posts