Help...Need to figure out how to "catch" pee!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LindaL

Reaction score
I have tried 3 different times to catch my mare's pee on a taped on pad for the WeeFoal test, but apparently I am not putting it on the right spot! LOL! Too low, too high, in a spot where poop got stuck...Ugh! Is there a trick to this? Who'd a thought it would be so difficult to catch pee on a pad? (Cracking up...lol)

Y'ep, persistence. I've had the best luck placing the pad north and south rather than east and west. Large panty liners worked best, not over absorbent, sometimes the fluffy pads do their job too well and you can't squeeze any urine back out. Once, I have had the delight of explaining the process to our neighbors when they were over. I figured I better explain before they saw the horses with pads on their butts and thought " this adds a whole new level to the expression crazy horse person". LOL

I just turn the animal out for five minutes, put down an fresh straw bed and bring her in whilst holding a jug ready- I get a bit more than I need!!

wasn't there someone who taped a styrofoam cup to the horse to collect the urine? Don't know, I've never tried but it seems like it SHOULD (emphasis on the should lol) be reasonably simple. Maybe you've got a shy mare who wants to keep her secrets ;)

Hmmm...I may actually try a cup...LOL! I don't have a way to bring her "in" with fresh bedding, but have kept her separated from the others to keep them from pulling it off (she rubbed off the 1st one by rubbing her butt on a low palm tree...LOL

Just glad all I am wasting is pads and not the test by doing this over and over...tried again today and missed again...AKK! I thought about putting the pad up/down but thought poop might get caught in it.

My next door neighbor's 7 yr old boy asked me why she had tape on her butt and I told him I was trying to get pee on a pad and he was like....."ohhhh..." (probably too afraid to ask why...LOL)

I try to put them in a trailer and if that doesn't work within 10 or 15 min, then I move them to a small pen or stall. They always seem to go in the stall. Once I see them "taking the stance" I walk in with a paper cup and catch it. I've only had one mare that stopped when I walked in.

The things we do with our horses
default_smile.png

LOL

Latest posts

Back