Help, Maybe?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClickMini

Reaction score
My foal has hit all her marks, and seems fine in all regards except she is still straining to poo. She passed a bunch of meconium last night after an enema, then we gave her one this morning when the vet was here and all I saw her pass at that time was to shoot the mineral oil back out. The same thing happened tonight. Mineral oil, no poo. Am I in an emergency situation? I kind of don't think so, because she is still eating and scampering around, but am starting to be a little concerned about this. Please reassure me, or tell me to call the vet! The very expensive vet, who has already been here once today!

Thanks!

Im not terribly experienced compared to most on here

but we have given another emema the folowing day if it seemed needed with just warm water.

hope you get some more answers though. Are you sure she's not pooping its real easy to miss in a stall when they are tiny

I can only offer experience on full sized foals. Sometimes you have to lube up a finger and gently prod around and help "scrape" stuck meconium. A vet showed me this one time and its come in handy many times over the years when the foal was still straining to poo and the enema was not working. There have been times that once I cleared some out, more and more dry meconium would just keep coming in to the rectum and I would keep clearing. It has been pretty wild how much there was in there. If they are really straining and wagging that tail a lot, I would be inclined to try even on a mini if an enema is not working.

Take full advantage of the fact that Pilchuck is good about phone consults, Amy.
default_wink.png
I don't know about horse foals, but I know here at the nurse line we get a LOT of calls from new parents who are freaking out because their kid isn't doing exactly what the book says they should as far as BM's and I always hear the nurses telling them that if the kid is happy, active, eating, doesn't have a temp, and seems fine then they are probably fine. Let the vet tell you what to watch for as far as signs that things aren't fine and continue to give her enemas if she's straining, but otherwise I'd enjoy your healthy, beautiful baby and try not to worry too much! There is a LOT of straw in that stall, if she's doing small hard poops you might not find them easily.

Just my not-a-mama .02, for what it's worth.
default_biggrin.png

Leia

I had to give Levi a fleet enema daily for the first week to help him out. After that, he got softer and is now defecating normally.

She seems to be doing better this morning. Poor little sweetheart. She looked so miserable. I do have the vet on call, just in case. The Fleets weren't productive, so if we have to do more, the vet is coming out. Right now, she seems pretty comfortable.

I am a nervous mom though, and have the vet on speed dial! LOL

Amy - try another enema and see if she will keep it in long enough to help. I kind of go by the way they carry their tails. If they are holding their tail up that is a sign that something isn't moving as well as it should, if there is a lot of flicking going on, again, another sign of an unhappy GI tract. Most foals will keep their tail relaxed when they are just moseying around and only carry it elevated if they are playing/excited/running.

Many years ago I had a foal that I thought had this fabulous tailest because of the way he always carried it, he did not seem distressed in any way and was alert, attentive, playful, nursing, etc -- well, 3 days after that wonderful feeling I experienced a nearly fatal colic on the baby - thankfully after many, many oilings he recovered - went on to do pretty well - his name is American Express! What actually finally came out was excess merconium that was "stuck" up there and had not passed early on.

Nowaday - I like a nice quiet tail!

Stacy

Thanks Stace, she plays a LOT! When she is not flat out, she is cantering the stall. I am going to let them out for a while this afternoon since it is so nice. I am keeping a close eye on her.
default_yes.gif
default_wub.png

Yes, I think American Express did pretty well for himself! Good thing you saved him!

It took a week of vet oilings - yep, 7 total to get him totally cleared out -- never forget that week
default_sad.png
I was soo scared that I was going to lose him

Not sure if I read this right but you said that you were going to let Momma and baby out for a while as the weather was nice? Green grass for Momma and space for baby to frolic about and take exercise is the very best thing to get young systems working properly. So providing the weather is fair get them out as much as possible, taking exercise in a stall is not enough to get things flowing, however young they are. Of course you must keep an eye on things and I'm not suggesting that you stop the enemas, but the exercise will help I'm sure.

Sorry if I have misunderstood and they have already been out and about for grass and exerise.

Good luck and I hope everything works out for your little girl, she is such a sweetie.
default_wub.png

Anna

Hi Anna, yes I kept them in yesterday as it was drenching rain and hail. Today is gorgeous, and she got to spend the afternoon out. It is a balancing act at the moment, she is a bit dysmature and her legs are quite all over the place. So she definitely needs exercise to strengthen but not enough to exhaust her. She is still stopped up so the vet is on the way out now for another exam.

I hope the vet can help you out, at least she is a she and not a he, I had a colt last year that got stopped up and ended up with urine dribbling from his stump, so beside treating him for the stopped up rear end I had to treat the stump and put him on shots for 10 days, but all is fine now. Thank goodness for a good vet, and hubbys' credit card.

Oh shoot, Amy, I'm sorry for your worries. I don't have anything helpful to add--just you're a terrific mama. What a relief it will be when she's 100%.

Thanks, Karla!
default_wub.png

Well good news. The vet did find some poo right at the exit, and it is soft and should pass. She also x-rayed her little tummy and, while there is a LOT of poo in there, she feels it is soft enough and it will eventually pass on its own without further treatments. She is on watch, but should be okay. It might be part of the dysmaturity. Anyway, I will sleep better tonight! Glad I had her out.

default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
Great news! They are such a worry arn't they?

Fingers crossed all progresses normally from now on, bless her.
default_yes.gif

Anna

When we give enema's to foals, we dump out what's in the child size Fleet, fill with mostly warm water, some oil and a bit of mild dish soap (ivory type just a drop), we've also added aloe too - soothing and slippery. If they're colon is dry or the poop the water helps soften and the oil/soap help lube things up.

Senna is a natural stool softener, we've given to horses that appear to be blocked. I've never given this to a foal, but have to a couple of older ones.

Yay for poo! It came this afternoon, then came some more, and came some more. I will finally sleep well tonight.
default_aktion033.gif

Latest posts

Back