Help! Allergic Reaction

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bramblehill

Reaction score
Today I was outside and noticed that our 18 month old colt has his eyes swollen shut . His muzzle is also swollen, and has big hives on his abdomen. His breathing is faster than usual. I called the vet, but can't get an answer at any of her numbers. Maybe caused by an allergic reaction since I did add beat pulp to his food this moning for thi first time, or maybe it could have been a sting since it's getting warm now. Any advice? I put him up in the barn to stay cool and waiting for the vet to call.

this is serious!! i would call another vet until you get someone asap. I am really hate to give advice for such a serious situation. In a pinch I would give benadryl but please keep in mind i am not a veternarian. I would not leave him for a minute in case his breathing starts to get bad. Please get a veternarian!!

I also was going to suggest, benadryl to horses eye swollen shut and hives. I also agree, call another vet, at least to talk with someone untill you can get a hold of your vet.

Thinking of you.
default_wub.png
:

Gosh, try to get a vet, any vet, small vet even. Sounds like he's been stung (ground bees?) or the bee t pulp did not go well. I am NOT a vet but most vets will tell you to get some benedryl into them. The quick dissolve tabs/tapes work super, and go by weight. JUST my opinion, I am not a vet but have had this happen. Do get a vet asap as he sounds pretty bad and you don't want his breathing compromised.

Straight Bendryl, like Dimi posted....AND call your vet!!!!

The swelling could be going into his nasal passages and his throat!

MA

Thanks Everyone!

I did finally get a vet in another town who recommended Dexamethazone. By the time I went and picked it up, my regular vet called and said that I should just give him Bantamine, that the Dex. could cause founder. I'm just a little confused, since they are both good doctors.

Anyway, I did give him some Bantamine and his eyes started opening almost immediately. He's still pretty swollen and the hives on his belly are big. I think I'll still get some benadril.

Does anyone know about the Dexamethazone? I'd hate to cause more problems, but don't know which doctor to listen to!

I personally wouldn't be worried by one shot of Dex; I've used it with no problems & wouldn't hesitate to use it again if the vet told me to. I personally keep Pre-Def on hand; it's also a corticosteroid, very effective, but it is considered safer than Dex. I also keep Vetastim on hand (well, usually, I believe I'm out & should pick up another bottle now that I think of it). It is an antihistamine (triplenamine hydrochloride) & works well for hives & insect bites--but, Benadryl is good too. I'd personally want to give something for the hives & itching (since I suffer a lot from hives myself I know how miserable it is to itch like that!!).

Me, I'd skip the DEX and get the benedryl, didn't the vet want to see him?

No, neither vet mentioned bringing him in. I was pretty surprised about that. Luckily, he is improving a lot now. Poor little guy. It might have been a bee sting, but just in case it was the food, I most assuredly am not feeding beet pulp to him again. I gave some Benedryl - a lot of it dripped out, but I did manage to get in a few teaspoons.

Thanks everybody! I'm headed back to the barn.

Good job! Some times using a syring minus the needle works well that is one reason Ilove the fast melts! No drips! Keep us updated, as long as he is drinking and improving, you're doing great! Watch his breathing.

Deb (Dimi) beat me to the punch!
default_smile.png
I highly recommend that you pick up some syringes at a feed store that don't have any needles attached. I try to keep a few of different sizes in my medicine cabinet for administering different kinds of meds.

MA

I'm not a vet either, but have worked for them, and have had this happen in the past.

You CAN give Banamine and Dex at the same time. If you feel like you haven't gotten enough Benadryl in him, go ahead and give him the dex. One injection of Dex is very unlikely to cause founder problems.

The dex will also last in his system for quite some time, which will help him with whatever he is having a reaction too.

Good Luck!
default_smile.png

Wow - what a scare - thank Goodness so many people here could give you such good advice. I pray that he's doing well.

I wasn't aware that you could give Benadryl to the horses. Isn't the dosage on the package by adult or child? It seems like my show horses get welts everytime they go to a show. I'd love to try this on them. The fast melt strips sound like a winner!

Best wishes with your little guy - please keep us posted.

We have one with food allergies, he is 2, and has had them since weaning. I keep thinking he'll out grow it, and in some part he has, but for the most part he gets a 12% sweet feed and hay. For those of you not fans of sweet feed, remember, this is the only thing he can eat and not break out all over.

I tried him on beet pulp this winter, oh geese, not sure why I keep trying to fix things not broken. After giving him beet pulp, within 16 hours he was rubbing everything in site, eyes and nose both thick junk running. This has happened each time I try to feed him anything different. I have changed foods to feed him better, but what he is on will just have to do.

When this happens we put him on Benadryl for 7 days, it takes that long to stop his itching. Then to make sure no internal infection developes, to help with breathing, he is put on tucoprim for 3 days.

We tried a number of things for a long time after he was weaned, this combination is what worked for him. Each time he has had a reaction, the above took care of most symptoms within 24 hours.

He was checked and diagnosed by 2 different vets, my suggestion would to have the same thing done. It will only help him in the future and give you a better reaction time.

I'm wondering how frequently to give the Benedryl? The package says 3-4 teaspoons for an adult, and I'm sure that some of it was dripped out. (No melting strips available in our hick store.) Should I give it every four hours or so?

I used the Childrens benedryl as it is easier to give the right dosage, it gives directions according to weight.

Every 4 hours is ok, but no more than 4 doses per day,,,,,,,,but I still suggest talking to a vet about that, and too having him checked.

Frankie said what I would have but as he improves extend it to 6hrs then 8 hrs. Brush him good when his hives go down.

If its not too cold you might try giving him a bath to help with the itches.

Another thing. Always keep a couple of tampons on hand. If the horses face/nose start to swell you can use the tube part to put in their nostrils and keep their nose from closing. Just a tip from my vet.

Robin

Thanks for the great tips! I'd have never thought about the tampon tubes, but his nostrils were very small yesterday afternoon.

He looks good today and hives are all gone. That was really scarey!

Latest posts

Back