HEaves Experiance?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashley

Reaction score
I have been asked to take an older pony in. I was told she foaled this year but they are guessing she is around 20.

She has foundered in the past but does fine on grass now. She also has heaves. I have seen heaves in the past but never had a horse with it. I also have a horse here who foundered in the past but it was on corn and she does fine on grass.

The founder thing does worry me as I do get a lush pasture, however I do have the ability to lock her into another pasture that is far less if needed.I also have a pleasently plump mini mare who could join her for company.

That said I want to know what I am in for before decideing. They classified her heaves mild to moderate in the summer.

anybody with experiance?

One of my mares has mild heaves. I dont keep her inside at all because of the dust and shavings in the barn. She stays outside with the other mares and the only time she has a bit of trouble breathing is in the middle of summer when it is really hot and humid. I sometimes put up a few fans in the run-ins to keep it cooler and as long as I keep an eye on her she doesn't need to be medicated, I hope she stays like that for at least a few years longer!

I had a Mare who had heaves Baaaad,she was a rescue but didn't see under laying problem. I had her for a few years and every year it would get earlier and worst. When the meds wouldn't work and her losing weight, I finialy said our goodbyes humanely. She was the sweetest little mare and to this dayI still miss her nickers at feeding time.

I guess if you have a set up where the horse can be outside 24/7 with a lean to or some other type of shelter if the weather gets bad then there is no reason why she could not be comfy at your place. Heavey horses get worse inside and in summer heat/humidity. They seem to do much better outside. Depends on what you can handle. My horses come in every night as I have coyotes across the road from me and the dogs come in at night and cannot protect the herd. So everyone is tucked in a stall. For that reason I'd never take in a horse with heaves, it would be cruel.

Turnout 24/7 is best. Soaking the hay is also a big help. I had and Arab that developed heaves and he stayed out and I soaked his hay in a sink in my basement during the winter months due to the cold. It was a labor of love for sure but he did great no meds or anything.

Good Luck and cudos for taking in a less fortunate baby.

Hey Ash This is another one of those catch 22 situatiions. A heavey/asthmatic horse will not get well and it will get worse over time but there are very good meds available to help the horse be comfortable and breathe easier. With winter coming on the wind will pose a problem if the horse is left outside as the wind will take his breathe away and could leave him gasping for air. As long as the barn is well ventilated he should do ok. but leaving him totally outside 24-7 for instance in any type of winter storm is not a good idea. I wouldn't be offering him deep bedding by no means, maybe no bedding, and you may have to soak his hay. See what works best for him. As far as founder, a foundered horse should never be allowed to be on grass again in my humble opinion. Good luck to you and best wishes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Ash This is another one of those catch 22 situatiions. A heavey/asthmatic horse will not get well and it will get worse over time but there are very good meds available to help the horse be comfortable and breathe easier. With winter coming on the wind will pose a problem if the horse is left outside as the wind will take his breathe away and could leave him gasping for air. As long as the barn is well ventilated he should do ok. but leaving him totally outside 24-7 for instance in any type of winter storm is not a good idea. I wouldn't be offering him deep bedding by no means, maybe no bedding, and you may have to soak his hay. See what works best for him. As far as founder, a foundered horse should never be allowed to be on grass again in my humble opinion. Good luck to you and best wishes.
I would like to suggest Paper Shavings Animal Bedding- maybe a small pile in the back of his stall- they are essentially dust free and hypoallergenic.

Well after reading advice, I think I will pass on this horse. I dont want to take in another huge expense as I have two already.

Marty,

My older mare is previously foundered, she does fine on grass. Never an issue. She was foundered on corn.

Latest posts

Back