Heat Bulbs

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hrselady

Reaction score
I have seen several pictures with heat bulbs over the stalls for the babies when its really cold. How high do you put them? Tonight its suppose to be getting down in the 20's here so off I went to get one of those red 250 watt heat bulbs... They have a large enough stall to get somewhere else if they feel they dont need it.

I truely hope ya'll do not get upset with all these questions!!

Thanks,

Mendy

I have only used a heat lamp when we were in the barn

turned it off when we left so i'm no help I know the kaglow (sp?) are barn safe when installed properly

but others will have to tell you what they use.

I'm using two clamp type red heat bulbs right now. They are about 7-8 feet above the floor of the stall and they are on all night. Make sure the fixture an handle a heat bulb of enough wattage. I get the ones that have ceramic receptacles and say they are for brooders (as in chicks). I can get them at Home Depot, Lowes, and Tracter Suppy. Get extra bulbs in case some die. I have to use heat bulbs even when it's not too cold because my barn cam doesn't have night vision (forgot to check on that when I ordered it) One light is enough to enable my camera to "see", I only use two when it gets cold. You can also layer blankets on the baby to keep her warm.

We have a kalglow heater and it is 5 feet above the floor of the stall. Very safe for barn use. I would not leave a "heat bulb" on in a barn without being there and keeping an eye on it. Too much hay, dust, and cobwebs to catch on fire.

You need to really watch those blasted dangerous things. They are evil and sneaky. They can not only burn your horse but ignite your bedding too real easily. You'd be very surprised when you mount it UP high that the heat can come down whopping big time so keep feeling your horse's back. I wouldn't use them ever again so just be very careful and don't leave it on unattended please.

Instead, bed your horses deep deep deep in clean bedding and use blankets.

yeah I have came to the conclusion.. if I intend to sleep tonight... its gonna have to be cut off!!!! I'm going out now to put more bedding down and kiss them goodnight. They are in the barn, closed off and no drafts.

Mendy

I use heat lamps too. But, I clamp them up about 8 ft. and I also tie them to the board they are clamped

on, to be sure a cat couldn't knock it down. Also if your stall is big enough the baby will go away from the heat if it gets too hot. Baby blankets are good to use too. cjmm

We use heat lamps. We place a chain over a rafter and hang the lamp about 5' overhead. They are the clamp type. WE NEVER LEAVE THE BARN WITH THEM ON. We stay long enough to warm the spot and then unplug them. Too dangerous to leave them for a minute in my opinion.
default_biggrin.png

We have two Kalglos in the barn. Each one straddles two stalls so that the mares and foals can get under them if they want or move away.

Heat bulbs were just too scary. These have no glass parts and have a thermometer where you can set the temperature you want.

I use the clamp type heat lamps for my horses and I haven't had a issue with them yet and I have been using them for 2 years now. Of course I leave my horses with alot of room to move away if they are too hott and I also make sure the clamp is secure. Our barn we board at usually also has someone staying the night there too..I also blankets as well though. The lamp work well for drying my guys after a rainy day workout.
default_smile.png
So I love using the lamps.

You should be aware that a heat lamp can shatter--and in that case the glass fragments are likely to be hot enough to ignite the bedding in the stall. No matter how well secured they are, I consider heat bulbs/lamps to be just too dangerous to leave unattended. I will not have them in my barn.

Latest posts

Back